Photo

20” Wheels

12 replies to this topic

Browny1992

Browny1992

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Contemplating 20” OZ’s anybody got any user reviews is the ride really that hard? What tyres did you run? What offset is best. Any problems with rubbing etc. Currently lowered on H&Rs

Edited by Browny1992, 14 January 2019 - 05:23 PM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Contemplating 20” OZ’s anybody got any user reviews is the ride really that hard? What tyres did you run? What offset is best. Any problems with rubbing etc. Currently lowered on H&Rs

20" wheels an't the way to go due to having to run lower than stock profile tyres which will give a harder ride & more prone to pot hole damage.

Then there's the minefield of wheel offsets,brake clearance issue.

Ask Jay who had a set of 20" RS6 wheels on his 8P which he sold on shortly after fitting them due to the ride,pot holes & having to rise his RSs ride height for clearance mate.

Dell.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

20" wheels an't the way to go due to having to run lower than stock profile tyres which will give a harder ride & more prone to pot hole damage.

Ask Jay who had a set of 20" RS6 wheels on his 8P which he sold on shortly after fitting them due to the ride,pot holes & having to rise his RSs ride height for clearance mate.

Dell.

cb6c99925072484e601da5311b98474a.jpg

Yep doesn’t work. Bought, refurbished, raised the car higher, 3 days later one pot hole damaged 3 of them. Goodbye 20” hello 19” and back to standard height.

0587c2e3cd2a98481ab9cf887b91c4d9.jpg

Edited by JayRS3, 14 January 2019 - 06:41 PM.

Browny1992

Browny1992

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Cheers for the reply fellas I loved the look of the 20s but I was concerned about the things you have confirmed.
Looks like it’s not worth it. 19s it is.

RS3JET

RS3JET

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSouth

Yep doesn’t work. Bought, refurbished, raised the car higher, 3 days later one pot hole damaged 3 of them. Goodbye 20” hello 19” and back to standard height.

Always loved those wheels Jay

RobRS

RobRS

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Dell.

You should try 21's - very hard ride, very noisy & hitting even a small pot hole feels like the end of the world!  :o

I'd stick with the 19's & save yourself a lot of hassle!

Edited by RobRS, 15 January 2019 - 05:30 PM.

MY17 Panther Black RS 7 Performance | Black Pack | Carbon Interior | 21" DS black wheels fitted with MPS4's tyres  | Dynamic Pack Audi Connect Advanced Key + boot opening |  Audi phone box with wireless charging  | Audi smartphone interface |  Dynamic Mirror Indicators Parking pack | Feature programming changes EM Tuning interior LED light update | Thinkware F800 pro + Rear Dash Cam |

Wife: MY12 Daytona Grey RS3 | Bucket seats with grey stitching | Heated seats | Black Styling Pack & Inlays | Black Roof Bars | Privacy glass | RNS-E | Bose sound system | Reversing Sensors | Audi LED number plate lights | EM Tuning LED interior light pack | Cruise Control | Folding, dimming & heated mirrors | Auto Lights & Wipers | Adaptive headlights | Gloss Black Alloys fitted with MPS4's tyres | Thinkware F750 + Rear Dash Cam |

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Top wheels look so bloody nice 

MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

I wouldn't say stay away from 20s just because one guy had a rough time, but certainly be careful. The ride is obviously going to be worse with a lower profile tyre (255/25r20 is almost exactly the same as 255/30r19), but you can get lighter 20s than the standard wheels which could offset that discomfort and improve handling, acceleration and efficiency through reduced unsprung mass. And there's no reason the ride height should change nor have to be changed unless you have the wrong wheel and tyre combo. The brake/arch clearance fiasco with offsets happens just as much with 19"s too.

Rob, you might just need to check your pressures. I never had issues with jolts or crashing with the 21s on my RS6. The issue here mainly comes from the reduced sidewall profile (not an issue on 21s when you've got 285/30 tyres).

robokn

robokn

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

I have 20" OZ on mine look great and the ride on Yoko Advan Sports is fine, travelled over 10k on them now

no issues at all.

18 Plate St2 TTRS, Roadster, 20" OZ Indy HLTs, Forge IC and Hard pipes, Audi Carbon Mirrors, Automotive Passion spoiler, Side skirts and front air vents.  Scorpion full system all tuned by MRC

Hal

Hal

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

I had in mind the other day to change mine in for a TTRS. Had a test drive in one that had 20" wheels and have to say it felt alright - but we do not have the same pothole problem as the UK where I expect 20s will be a problem.

Browny1992

Browny1992

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Cheers for the input lads I opted for some 19” OZ Superturismo LM’s simply for the road conditions and cost cane into it as I already had a set of 19” tyres to wrap them in. However I do love the look of the 20s

Audi s1

Audi s1

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I have 20" OZ on mine look great and the ride on Yoko Advan Sports is fine, travelled over 10k on them now
no issues at all.

Audi s1

Audi s1

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

no issues at all.

What size wheels ? 9J? ET? And size tires?

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.