A few changes.......

16 replies to this topic

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Decided I’d had enough of Pad swapping as no matter which pads I tried there was no end to the squeal....

Reyland 2 piece discs with curved slots

159feffbea01f69e078c477922804ac2.jpg

79e20d21889662ba90045ea4fb06b1c8.jpg

Coupled with these Delphi Lockheed Pads front and rears
3cec3a4b7956dcdd239118ce57939398.jpg

Now I ran into a fitment issue with the Delphi front pads.
The peg slot cutout isn’t big enough which I believe is down to a manufacturing issue.

As it was a weekend I had to modify the slot with my trusty Dremel to open it out a little, as you can see below the Delphi pad with an OEM one on top for reference.
a762bcd783883136eaaf50e075d4e9bd.jpg

Picture below shows how they wouldn’t seat properly.

14737278b0df61b23c7f820c26a4d17b.jpg

And after a little fettling

f2284aab66c07d93d6d6f2e8a5ab3b37.jpg

I’ve been speaking with the Delphi technical rep and they have asked for various pictures etc and are looking into why this has happened, they have been pretty good about it.

The upshot is now I’m 100% happy with the way the car now brakes, zero squeal after a good 3 weeks of use.

The Reyland disc / Delphi pad combo is working miles better than I could ever have imagined.

One thing I did notice when changing the rears to Delphi pads, the drivers side pads were stopping the caliper from sliding back and forth, so much so that I was getting brake noise when turning at low speed (pads kissing rear disc)
Now part of this is down to me fitting the Ferodo DS rears ‘dry’ and not lubing T/L shaped lugs, my own fault as I pretty much dry fitted them as per oem and they were a loose fit in the caliper, so I thought they’d be fine, turns out in the space of a few months the lugs on 1 side had started to seize in the carrier.

Made sure the Delphi rear pads were well lubed up this time.
Used this.
2b8e06f50b55e9d7a27990f51d043ccf.jpg
bd8095b85cf249c071734e3294f6988f.jpg

On another brake related note

Upon swapping the Winters onto our GTD Golf I noticed that the rear pads on both outside faces had parted company with the friction material.
b2d8ae7adc1b7716429cc4c061db2393.jpg
6faa83f3e38e1402c343db9e28d514bc.jpg

I can only put this down to long periods of it being parked up in bad weather and the moisture bonding the pads to the discs
It only affected the outer pads, inners were fine.

Brembo pads too that were fitted with new discs in April 17 so not that old really.

Next mod is the 034 rear anti Roll bar.

https://uploads.tapa...fa52e38cc44.jpg
https://uploads.tapa...43a305e2c21.jpg
https://uploads.tapa...dccb8d65674.jpg

I was concerned the oem end links would prove troublesome to undo, however a soaking of Würth Rost Off soon sorted them.
I greased them up on re-assembly
https://uploads.tapa...d053bf6e332.jpg

Since fitting this the car feels flatter in the corners and the whole rear end seems ‘tighter’ to me.
I actually think it has a positive effect on the front too when cornering.
I like the 034 product, the clamps/brackets have built in Grease nipples and they are substantially thicker than the oem brackets.
https://uploads.tapa...60389ff3273.jpg

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

I have had 2 FL RS3s now in the past 13 months and the brakes have only squealed twice - the first time on RS3#1 pulling out of the delivery bay and the second time in RS3#2 with teenage daughter #1 on board who said 'that sounds really sh*t). Told her that all it needs is a few really hard stops so she said 'go for it'.

Having nearly put her through the windscreen twice the problem went away. She might have learned to shut the f*ck up in future as a useful by product.

I think the solution to the issue is to drive it like you stole it all of the time. Hard on petrol but kind on the ears.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I have had 2 FL RS3s now in the past 13 months and the brakes have only squealed twice - the first time on RS3#1 pulling out of the delivery bay and the second time in RS3#2 with teenage daughter #1 on board who said 'that sounds really sh*t). Told her that all it needs is a few really hard stops so she said 'go for it'.

Having nearly put her through the windscreen twice the problem went away. She might have learned to shut the f*ck up in future as a useful by product.

I think the solution to the issue is to drive it like you stole it all of the time. Hard on petrol but kind on the ears.

Thing is ED is mine was great until just over 5K miles then it started and wouldn’t stop no matter how I braked or what pads I tried.
In the end I blame the oem discs, it’s almost like once a layer of the metal has been worn away the disc metal structure has changed and the squeaking started.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Weird - in RS3#2 I had no noise until about 7k miles (having done a load of holiday gentleish driving with family on board) - a few hard stops and job done.  (it didn't shut teenager #1 up btw - as gobby as ever I have to report).

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
I might have to invest in Reylands for my 8V. I took the Reyland/DS performance combo off my 8p yesterday and put the standard discs and pads back on ready for it moving on. I had forgotten how crap they really were!

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 06 January 2019 - 07:51 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I might have to invest in Reylands for my 8V. I took the Reyland/DS performance combo off my 8p yesterday and put the standard discs and pads back on ready for it moving on. I had forgotten how crap they really were!

Worth every penny in my opinion.

I original was going to have BG development make me a set of using AP blanks but couldn’t justify the cost.

I’m going to change the rear discs later this month for Reyland 350 Dia items.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell
Sean
Delphi have sorted those front pad peg slot.Perfect fit. I am happy with the Ferodos at the moment but they have started to wear
the discs.Probably too much metal in them.So decided to give the Delphis a go.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Sean
Delphi have sorted those front pad peg slot.Perfect fit. I am happy with the Ferodos at the moment but they have started to wear

Yes Neil they are checking them.

I’m getting a new set in due course from them.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

Sean

I have just binned my DS Performance pads for DS2500's because they did not perform the same as the previous set I had with the Alcon discs on my PFL car. The DS2500's and the Reyland disc combo are now working really well and I am especially pleased with the low speed/cold bite they provide.

Edited by Fivepotfan, 06 January 2019 - 07:42 PM.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
Sean
How are your Delphi pads coping ? I put them on mine .They are terrible. Refitting Ferodos tomorrow.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Sean
How are your Delphi pads coping ? I put them on mine .They are terrible. Refitting Ferodos tomorrow.

Fine Neil no problems up to now.

When you say they are terrible, what’s wrong with them ?

Edited by T-800, 13 January 2019 - 04:31 PM.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
Sean
After bedding there just wasn`t the stopping power as before.Today I had a bit of a play on my favourite road.They
seemed to stop ok but needed more pedal pressure. Stopped off at a pals for a cuppa.Setting off the car would`nt
move.Eventually with loads of revs and a crack it moved. The rear pads had stuck to the discs.Going home they went
bang,bang,bang as the pads hit the stuck spot. This went away after a bit but there was an almighty humming noise
that also eventually disappeared. When I got home the front discs were blue.This humming and blueness is just the
same as I used to get with the Redstuff.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Sean
After bedding there just wasn`t the stopping power as before.Today I had a bit of a play on my favourite road.They
seemed to stop ok but needed more pedal pressure. Stopped off at a pals for a cuppa.Setting off the car would`nt
move.Eventually with loads of revs and a crack it moved. The rear pads had stuck to the discs.Going home they went
bang,bang,bang as the pads hit the stuck spot. This went away after a bit but there was an almighty humming noise
that also eventually disappeared. When I got home the front discs were blue.This humming and blueness is just the
same as I used to get with the Redstuff.

How weird.

Never had them sticking on yet and mines outside all day long.

The bedding in procedure is no heavy braking on these for 100 miles.

The only pad sticking I’ve experienced is on the Golf GTD rears where the pads split in half.

Danw

Danw

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
Nice work Sean, do love a ‘how to thread’ 👍

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

How weird.

Never had them sticking on yet and mines outside all day long.

The bedding in procedure is no heavy braking on these for 100 miles.

The only pad sticking I’ve experienced is on the Golf GTD rears where the pads split in half.

Admit not to doing 100 miles first.Probably only 50 . I`ll give them a few more miles then see. How`s the VC ?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Admit not to doing 100 miles first.Probably only 50 . I`ll give them a few more miles then see. How`s the VC ?

I’ll be honest, was sceptical about light use before any serious braking, however I did follow it to the letter, that point was re-enforced by Martin at Reyland, even if I switched pads to more aggressive ones at any point, he said the bedding in it was always important to follow the pad manufacture method.

VC has been ok since the hissy fit.

Edited by T-800, 13 January 2019 - 06:28 PM.

Huwgo R

Huwgo R

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
Looks a great combination 👍

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.