- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

electricfurnace

electricfurnace

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Bit confused reading about tyre sizes. My car is a 2012 8p with black/red rotor wheels.

Am i correct that from factory RS3 8p’s had 225 on rear, 235 on front.

Mine has 235 all round. Any issues with this or should I be swapping out my rears for 225?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell
You are correct.They came with 235 / 225 from new. Many people put 235`s all round. It`s a little known fact why this
was done from new.The truth is they originally had 235`s all round.But due to production tolerances some cars would
catch the tyres on the bodywork under rare conditions so it was easier for Audi to specify 225 rears. Job sorted.There
is a very small difference in the rolling radius of the two different sizes. The haldex clutch will allow for this but
it has to slip a bit when fully engaged.Surely it can`t be good long term having it slip.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

You are correct.They came with 235 / 225 from new. Many people put 235`s all round. It`s a little known fact why this
was done from new.The truth is they originally had 235`s all round.But due to production tolerances some cars would
catch the tyres on the bodywork under rare conditions so it was easier for Audi to specify 225 rears. Job sorted.There
is a very small difference in the rolling radius of the two different sizes. The haldex clutch will allow for this but
it has to slip a bit when fully engaged.Surely it can`t be good long term having it slip.

Every day is a school day. I presumed it was to help dial out some of the understeer!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Every day is a school day. I presumed it was to help dial out some of the understeer!

Mark.

Tyres wouldn't dial out understeer but a stiffer rear ARB does  :D

Dell.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Mark.

Tyres wouldn't dial out understeer but a stiffer rear ARB does  :D

Dell.

I assumed that slightly wider fronts than rears would give slightly better grip. Like I say always a school day! 

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Neil.

I run 235/35-19 all round on my old A3 3.2 and with worn shocks coming off speed bumps one rear tyre would now & then clip an inner arch retaining screw head.

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I assumed that slightly wider fronts than rears would give slightly better grip. Like I say always a school day! 

Mark.

I've used different makes of tyres & still had bad understeer with my driving style,but that has been banished once i fitted the rear 034 ARB inc in the wet. :D

Dell.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Mark.

I've used different makes of tyres & still had bad understeer with my driving style,but that has been banished once i fitted the rear 034 ARB inc in the wet. :D

Dell.

It certainly does transform the car!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

It certainly does transform the car!

Mark.

The best £260 i've spend mate. :D

Dell.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Neil.

I run 235/35-19 all round on my old A3 3.2 and with worn shocks coming off speed bumps one rear tyre would now & then clip an inner arch retaining screw head.

Dell.

Dell
Don`t you mean worn DAMPERS.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

No ,purely to stop the rubbing.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Got optional 255 front and standard 225 rear mps4s
On standard suspension.

Tried 235’s on the rear and they rubbed badly with the car unloaded when the car bounced on undulating roads.

Haven’t bothered trying since 034 rear roll bar fitted as it was scuffing under compression, so couldn’t see the arb helping avoid that.

Seems to be a bit of luck if it rubs or not.

Love he car on the Optional wider 8.5J alloys / 255 Fronts with the 034 rear arb/ mps4s it Goes round corners like it’s on Velcro.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
I was amazed how much changing the arb at the rear, improved the turn in at the front.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

DellDon`t you mean worn DAMPERS.

😂😂😂😂😂😂🙄

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Got optional 255 front and standard 225 rear mps4s
On standard suspension.
Tried 235’s on the rear and they rubbed badly with the car unloaded when the car bounced on undulating roads.
Haven’t bothered trying since 034 rear roll bar fitted as it was scuffing under compression, so couldn’t see the arb helping avoid that.
Seems to be a bit of luck if it rubs or not.
Love he car on the Optional wider 8.5J alloys / 255 Fronts with the 034 rear arb/ mps4s it Goes round corners like it’s on Velcro.

Paul.

What suspension you running ? If its all stock your rear shocks Ops sorry dampers are shot going by the description of the handling on undulating roads mate.

Dell.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Standard except for 034 arb.
It’s only done 22K miles, and I rarely carry anything more than a weekly shop.

Probably was on 16k when I tried the 235’s on the rear.

Only have the issue with 235’s so not sure it’s dampers?
It scuffs the extra plastic spats, which leads me to think the 235’s are just too wide.

APS do all my work and the alignment is spot on too.

Edited by Paul, 30 December 2018 - 10:37 AM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Standard except for 034 arb.
It’s only done 22K miles, and I rarely carry anything more than a weekly shop.
Probably was on 16k when I tried the 235’s on the rear.
Only have the issue with 235’s so not sure it’s dampers?
It scuffs the extra plastic spats, which leads me to think the 235’s are just too wide.
APS do all my work and the alignment is spot on too.

Paul.

The oem dampers or should i call them pogo sticks from new are rubbish as there so under dampened 😖 I'm running 235s alround on the oem wheels without any rubbing problems mate.

Dell.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.