• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

AG_464

AG_464

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Evening all,

I’ve had my 8P for a few months now and apart from a replacement haldex pump everything is tickety boo.

But I do have an intermittent issue, sometimes when I start the car it seems to turnover for quite a while before it fires, then other times it’s fine?

I’ve heard som people mention spark plugs are a weak point, just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Evening all,

I’ve had my 8P for a few months now and apart from a replacement haldex pump everything is tickety boo.

But I do have an intermittent issue, sometimes when I start the car it seems to turnover for quite a while before it fires, then other times it’s fine?

I’ve heard som people mention spark plugs are a weak point, just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

Cheers

Spark plugs are to be changed on a standard engine at 19k using oem one's.

Do you get any dash warning lights ?

Dell.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Best starting point get a scan if possible by someone local with VCDS.

You’ll then have more idea what’s what.

AG_464

AG_464

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Spark plugs are to be changed on a standard engine at 19k using oem one's.

Do you get any dash warning lights ?

Dell.

Hi dell, cheers for the reply.

Nah no dash lights and nothing in vagcom either, doesn’t seem to be missing or lacking in power just seems to hesitate to start on occasion

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Best starting point get a scan if possible by someone local with VCDS.

You’ll then have more idea what’s what.

Sean.

Op's glad you picked me up on that one mate. :P

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Hi dell, cheers for the reply.

Nah no dash lights and nothing in vagcom either, doesn’t seem to be missing or lacking in power just seems to hesitate to start on occasion

Ok   :89:  do you know when the plugs were changed last ?

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 14 October 2018 - 08:03 PM.

AG_464

AG_464

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Ok :89: do you know when there plugs were last changed then ?

Dell.

I must admit I didn’t know the interval of 19k, I’ll check it when I’m back home tomorrow hopefully that’s it!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I must admit I didn’t know the interval of 19k, I’ll check it when I’m back home tomorrow hopefully that’s it!

I didn't know either when i 1st serviced my RS as my previous A3 was 60k  :m0168:

Dell.

AG_464

AG_464

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

I didn't know either when i 1st serviced my RS as my previous A3 was 60k :m0168:

Dell.

Haha we live and we learn! Hopefully that’s all it is. Did you just use OEM plugs or go for an upgrade?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Haha we live and we learn! Hopefully that’s all it is. Did you just use OEM plugs or go for an upgrade?

Non mapped engines use oem even my remapped RS i use them but i change them at 10k.

Dell.

AG_464

AG_464

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Non mapped engines use oem even my remapped RS i use them but i change them at 10k.

Dell.

Coll, cheers man good to know!

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

Have the battery tested. 

Ben 

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell
I would hazard a quess on it`s not building up fuel pressure quickly enough. Once it`s started nothing would show
on vcds. Thoughts anyone?

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I would hazard a quess on it`s not building up fuel pressure quickly enough. Once it`s started nothing would show
on vcds. Thoughts anyone?

Neil.

I'll check to make sure the ECU has had all its software updates before changing parts to trace this problem.

To check what software is installed going into engine & check the last 4 numbers at the top off the screen.

The last four numbers should be 0060 not 0040 or 0050 if its up to date.

I'll also change the plugs 1st if you don't know there history.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 15 October 2018 - 05:42 AM.

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
When I had my 8P I remember something about the fuel pump not priming when the door opened after a software update.
I’m assuming this problem doesn’t only occur during a cold start?
Have you tried leaving the ignition on a couple of seconds to prime the fuel system before cranking the engine over?

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSouth Shields, North East
If I turn the key too quick without letting the pump prime it takes a a few tick overs before it starts, but if I let it prime it’s more or less straight away. Somthing I never really noticed in previous cars but maybe that’s to do with the HPFP on the TFSI engine?

I put new plugs in for the first time in my ownership and it made no difference for starting so presumed it was me just trying to ‘jump the gun’

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Yes that’s correct, @Quattro mine had an ecu update in 2013 and after the update it never primed the pump upon the driver door being opened, only on the key.

So I suppose you could ‘catch’ it out if you were really quick on the draw.

I asked the dealer about it but was met with the usual blank face and shoulders shrug.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Yes that’s correct, @Quattro mine had an ecu update in 2013 and after the update it never primed the pump upon the driver door being opened, only on the key.
So I suppose you could ‘catch’ it out if you were really quick on the draw.
I asked the dealer about it but was met with the usual blank face and shoulders shrug.

Sean.

On my old A3 3.2 the pump would prime on opening the drives door.☹

I did notice when i first got my RS that priming the pump had been done away with.🤔

All the old PD diesels would do the same for the glow plugs rather than you having to wait for the warming up light to go out.😊

Dell.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Sean.

On my old A3 3.2 the pump would prime on opening the drives door.

I did notice when i first got my RS that priming the pump had been done away with.

All the old PD diesels would do the same for the glow plugs rather than you having to wait for the warming up light to go out.

Dell.

Yes Dell as did my 3.2TT

PFL primed as does the FL.

My thoughts are that the fuel pressure drops away over night and the system takes a tiny amount of time on first start.
Be easy to see why it would turn over a little longer after being stood.

An easy test is to turn key let the pump prime then start.

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

fuel pressure in the line should not back bleed a one way valve is put in place to prevent this. 

Also i wouldn't always rely on software to fix an issue, if anything Audi try masking an issue with software. 

If the fault has only started after an update then yes go back and talk to your local Audi. If the fault has randomly started then go back to basics and work out what could cause this problem.

Reason i suggested battery is vehicle sensors can not read if voltage drops below 10.5V and cranking a vehicle over on a 3 year old plus battery could cause this. I have seen it several times over the years. 

Ben  

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.