• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSouth Shields, North East
Did a full service and then cracked on with the top mounts. There was about 3mm movement on side to side and the turning motion of the bearing was just very loose in general. The side I chose to do first was the side I had less problems with so very interested to see what the other side is like.

On a side note... what a biatch of a job that was haha.

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction chaps, really big thanks!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Did a full service and then cracked on with the top mounts. There was about 3mm movement on side to side and the turning motion of the bearing was just very loose in general. The side I chose to do first was the side I had less problems with so very interested to see what the other side is like.

I've done them 3 times :84: Removed oem to fit KWs then removed them & refitted oem due to person selling there RS3. :D also popped out the drive shaft from the inner cv on the drivers side while doing them. :(

I've also fitted my own  :)  all good fun on a sunday. :m0168:  

Dell

Edited by RS3Dell, 16 September 2018 - 07:45 PM.

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

How did you get on with the passenger side? Has it fixed the noise?

Ollie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
I actually did it yesterday but I didn’t get time to take it out for a test drive till this morning. The old bearing actually fell apart so was certainly fekked! Driving this morning it’s quieter, doesn’t knock over bumps and the creaking is gone!

However... the main knocking when feathering the accelerator on a corner is still there in all it’s might (the one from the video). I also have a very mild squeak which must be from the gearbox mount. It goes once it’s moved a few hundred meters until next time you move the car so that’s fine for the time being. I just WISH I could find out what the hell this bad knocking is :(

- The wheels have to be turned
- you have to be on and off the accelerator
- sounds like a louder version of gearbox chatter

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I actually did it yesterday but I didn’t get time to take it out for a test drive till this morning. The old bearing actually fell apart so was certainly fekked! Driving this morning it’s quieter, doesn’t knock over bumps and the creaking is gone!
However... the main knocking when feathering the accelerator on a corner is still there in all it’s might (the one from the video). I also have a very mild squeak which must be from the gearbox mount. It goes once it’s moved a few hundred meters until next time you move the car so that’s fine for the time being. I just WISH I could find out what the hell this bad knocking is :(
- The wheels have to be turned
- you have to be on and off the accelerator
- sounds like a louder version of gearbox chatter

As the noise happens when you going on/off the accelerator it does point to the gearbox mount 🤔

You really do need to remove it to disprove it tbh.

Dell.

Renga

Renga

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSweden

gearbox mount (8P0199555A), drop links?

​Gearbox mount from Seat Leon works! 1K019955Q = les expensive

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Like I said my noise is similar to yours but not as bad.
Should be replacing my gearbox mount soon so I will report back.

How much slop is there meant to be in the RS3 drive train? Having never been in another RS3 I don’t know what’s normal. It’s very apparent for example when pulling up to a roundabout spotting it’s clear then accelerating (even gently accelerating)?

Ollie

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back, been a busy week as my Mrs approaches her final days before the little one is born.

Anyhow... Dell this is what I said to Audi almost a year back and as the box has been replaced I presumed they would change the mounts too, but they look brand new when you remove the airbox. However I must presume that it’s not new so it’s the next thing on my list. There’s very little left for me to change now, I even changed an anti roll bar link as I couldn’t get one of the nuts off on the original one W when fitting the top hat.

Renga, that’s interesting, thanks for that info though I can’t find any for sale with a brief search on google.

Ollie, that sounds like what I believe to be ‘normal’ gearbox backlash on the RS3 as mine has done that the whole time I’ve had mine and the other one I drove did too, it’s just like it gets a bit of a shock when your approaching a junction then all of a sudden apply the throttle forward?

If you could record it that would be handy. Mine just makes an aweful clattering on corners. Have you viewed the video at the top, if not could you compare?

Thanks again guys :)

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Sorry for the delay in getting back, been a busy week as my Mrs approaches her final days before the little one is born.
Anyhow... Dell this is what I said to Audi almost a year back and as the box has been replaced I presumed they would change the mounts too, but they look brand new when you remove the airbox. However I must presume that it’s not new so it’s the next thing on my list. There’s very little left for me to change now, I even changed an anti roll bar link as I couldn’t get one of the nuts off on the original one W when fitting the top hat.
Renga, that’s interesting, thanks for that info though I can’t find any for sale with a brief search on google.
Ollie, that sounds like what I believe to be ‘normal’ gearbox backlash on the RS3 as mine has done that the whole time I’ve had mine and the other one I drove did too, it’s just like it gets a bit of a shock when your approaching a junction then all of a sudden apply the throttle forward?
If you could record it that would be handy. Mine just makes an aweful clattering on corners. Have you viewed the video at the top, if not could you compare?

Hope all goes well with the litttle one mate 👍

Dell.

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Congratulations!! My first is due beginning of November! Luckily still aloud to RS3 fest though.

Difficult to record my noise, it’s quieter than yours now. It used to be just like ours in the video until the dealer that sold me the car covered it grease and said they fixed it, when all they have did was reduce the creaking / noise so that I bought the car.

Correct me if I am wrong but these mounts shouldn’t be greased! Currently still arguing with them....

Ollie

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Congratulations!! My first is due beginning of November! Luckily still aloud to RS3 fest though.
Difficult to record my noise, it’s quieter than yours now. It used to be just like ours in the video until the dealer that sold me the car covered it grease and said they fixed it, when all they have did was reduce the creaking / noise so that I bought the car.
Correct me if I am wrong but these mounts shouldn’t be greased! Currently still arguing with them....
Ollie

Ollie.

Grease & rubber don't mix ! 😖 and if it is to be use it will normal be a non petroleum based one like red rubber grease as used on brake piston seals.

Dell.

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Ollie.

Grease & rubber don't mix ! and if it is to be use it will normal be a non petroleum based one like red rubber grease as used on brake piston seals.

Dell.

Hi Dell

Yes! Agreed. They were just trying to avoid paying for a new mount. Unfortunately I didn’t know as much back then and believed them when they said they had “fixed” it.

£305 for a new mount and bolts! :s

Ollie

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Hi Dell
Yes! Agreed. They were just trying to avoid paying for a new mount. Unfortunately I didn’t know as much back then and believed them when they said they had “fixed” it.
£305 for a new mount and bolts! :s
Ollie

Ollie.

Sorry to say sounds about right mate.🙁

Dell.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Cheers lads, 20 days to go and she will be my first also! I was planning on RS3 fest this year but she arrives exactly around that time haha.

My top mounts were absolutely covered in grease when I removed them but I installed the new ones dry... couldn’t find any info about whether or not they should be greased or not. I decided it probably shouldn’t be since the grease looked new and must have been slapped on when Audi were checking all the gear.

One thing I forgot to mention on mine is that when it’s cold it gets much much worse (like today). However it almost disappears once the engine is warmed up. It sounds too metallic to sound like a mount which has always put me off and I started thinking maybe inner CV joint as the shaft moves further out of the runner when the wheels are turned?

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Also I forgot to add congratulations to yourself too Ollie, I bet you can’t wait either :)

Now we just need a way to bubble wrap the whole interior (specifically the piano black backs on the buckets!)

OllieC

OllieC

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Also I forgot to add congratulations to yourself too Ollie, I bet you can’t wait either :)

Now we just need a way to bubble wrap the whole interior (specifically the piano black backs on the buckets!)

Loads of water wipes and a wet vac ???

Hahaha

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
So now that the weather has gotten colder the noise is much louder. Other than the mount has anyone else got any idea what I can look at? I was fixated on the inner CV joints hence my original post but I just don’t know. I don’t understand how if it were the inner CV joint the noise would go once it’s warmed up.

There is a definite very light squeaking when going over bumps which must be the gearbox mount as yous say, but I’m not convinced the knocking is from the mount? I would have thought it would have knocked even in a straight line if that was the case.

Would love to get it fixed but I just don’t know what else to look at since even the gearbox and transferbox has been replaced.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

So now that the weather has gotten colder the noise is much louder. Other than the mount has anyone else got any idea what I can look at? I was fixated on the inner CV joints hence my original post but I just don’t know. I don’t understand how if it were the inner CV joint the noise would go once it’s warmed up.

There is a definite very light squeaking when going over bumps which must be the gearbox mount as yous say, but I’m not convinced the knocking is from the mount? I would have thought it would have knocked even in a straight line if that was the case.

Would love to get it fixed but I just don’t know what else to look at since even the gearbox and transferbox has been replaced.

Mine made the noise going straight on rough / bumpy road

Warm weather hardly noticeable.......cold mornings it was quite loud.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Hmmm, mine is on cold morning but never on a straight line. I think I may try Renga’s cheap mount idea to see if it makes a positive change and then go and buy the propper one if it does instead of wasting £350 if it doesn’t work.

If anyone has any other thoughts though I’d really appreciate it as it’s bluddy well aweful

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Hmmm, mine is on cold morning but never on a straight line. I think I may try Renga’s cheap mount idea to see if it makes a positive change and then go and buy the propper one if it does instead of wasting £350 if it doesn’t work.

If anyone has any other thoughts though I’d really appreciate it as it’s bluddy well aweful

Speed bumps in a straight line were great for getting it to happen

Also cornering to the right too.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.