- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

datsilver@aol.com

datsilver@aol.com

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

I know the subject of front pads and discs has been a subject that has been thashed to death in the past....

Last years experience at Castle Combe provided a laugh for the other members who saw me miss the entrance to a chicane due to smoke pouring off the front cheapo pads that had been fitted... the logic was to avoid destroying the discs or boiling over the fluid which happened to some of us.

Any current views on best pads with standard Audi discs to allow some fun on the track for the few times I do this sort of thing?

Appreciate at the end of the day the RS3 is not a track car but would like to be able to do more than one lap before not being able to see out of the windscreen due to smoke!!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I know the subject of front pads and discs has been a subject that has been thashed to death in the past....
Last years experience at Castle Combe provided a laugh for the other members who saw me miss the entrance to a chicane due to smoke pouring off the front cheapo pads that had been fitted... the logic was to avoid destroying the discs or boiling over the fluid which happened to some of us.
Any current views on best pads with standard Audi discs to allow some fun on the track for the few times I do this sort of thing?
Appreciate at the end of the day the RS3 is not a track car but would like to be able to do more than one lap before not being able to see out of the windscreen due to smoke!!

Dave.

Sorry to say your logic was flawed but i do understand were your coming from mate.

At the time both Graham & myself were running EBC Reds & we know how they turned out,the same as your pads & i killed the discs with the fluid thrown in.

When the pads over heat due to there quality that then is transmitted into the disc/fluid.

The only real answer is to fit pads for purpose eg Ferodo DS2500s or the like.

At this time I'm running Ferodo DSs but i may drop the DS2500s in nearer the time.

Dell.

datsilver@aol.com

datsilver@aol.com

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Thanks - so if these pads can withstand the increased temperature of hard braking then surely the end result is the same in that the standard discs and brake fluid will take the transmitted heat and be affected in the same way as the heat has to go somwhere??

This is where I get lost on this discussion of the mechanics of pads/discs etc!

datsilver@aol.com

datsilver@aol.com

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Naturally I do hope that no member suggests these matters have anything to do with driving skills when it comes to cornering...... :)

Edited by datsilver@aol.com, 30 August 2018 - 01:30 PM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Thanks - so if these pads can withstand the increased temperature of hard braking then surely the end result is the same in that the standard discs and brake fluid will take the transmitted heat and be affected in the same way as the heat has to go somwhere??
This is where I get lost on this discussion of the mechanics of pads/discs etc!

Dave.

All pads generate heat but if the brakes are doing what you want them to do eg slowing you down you won't use them so hard & that help stop the circle of too much heat/fade then more heat/fade.

Track biased pads will cope with the heat better & not cause more heat.

Dell.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Dave,

Cant think of any reason anyone would say such a thing mate. 

But I do know Comfortably numb has had his car wrapped in mattresses  :lol:

Renga

Renga

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSweden

Anyone tried the PFC 1001 (road / trackday) or 7781 (rally / race)?

https://pfc.parts/?s...d&searchsubmit=

Edited by Renga, 31 August 2018 - 07:46 AM.

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Dave,

Cant think of any reason anyone would say such a thing mate.

But I do know Comfortably numb has had his car wrapped in mattresses :lol:

Yes mate, already started stocking up on bubble wrap.

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Anyone tried the PFC

1001 (road / trackday) or 7781 (rally / race)?

https://pfc.parts/?s...d&searchsubmit=

I upgraded to PFC discs and pads all round on my uprated MY05 JDM Scooby as used to do loads of track days in it. Very pleased with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.