- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

I have not yet check the pressure, don't have the equipment to do that ... I am leaning towards the oil pump possibly been the culprit as I now sometimes have serious chain rattle as I start the car it's only a second or so but you can hear it.

it does not make a sound when you rev up the engine to about 2000rpm ... I will have to speak to the dealership about this .. what makes me more mad is that they replaced the whole bottom end of the engine but did not  touch the pump and crank. I am not worried about the crank but I am worried about the oil pump as I am sure something is up with it.

I will have to let them check it it's such a pity I don't have the tool's here to check the oil pressure at all.

Thanks for the input guys.

alexkitto

alexkitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It could be low oil pressure, because when you start the car the oil has to go to the chain tensioner, and if doesnt you got that rattle sound, could you try removing the oil sump and check if the collector is not dirty, but i dont understand why it does that only when hot..

How is the first start in the morning?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

It could be low oil pressure, because when you start the car the oil has to go to the chain tensioner, and if doesnt you got that rattle sound, could you try removing the oil sump and check if the collector is not dirty, but i dont understand why it does that only when hot..
How is the first start in the morning?

alex.

The oil is thicker when cold & causes more pressure,when hot the oil thins out & the pressure likewise mate.

Dell.

alexkitto

alexkitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

alex.

The oil is thicker when cold & causes more pressure,when hot the oil thins out & the pressure likewise mate.

Dell.

I know.. but for the best he should check the oil pressure at cold/hot and remove the oil sump to clean the collector, just to be sure :)

Edited by alexkitto, 27 September 2018 - 08:26 AM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I know.. but for the best he should check the oil pressure at cold/hot and remove the oil sump to clean the collector, just to be sure :)

Alex.

Absolutely but go about it in a methodical way by checking the oil pressure 1st before removing the sump pan & oil pump as you can cause other problems late down the line mate.

Dell.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Startup in the mornings is smooth and no rattles nothing ... I will see if I can get someone to help me check the oil pressures ..

Also note what makes this so difficult is that the sound is not always there, sometimes I can drive the whole day park the car for a while get back and nothing, then suddenly I will have the problem once or twice , then quiet again.

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

if you have no rattles on start up then i would rule out tappets. 

personally if its so intermittent i would suggest you have a foreign object blocking a oil way, maybe to much silicon again on the timing cover and its came away?? 

either way fella, stop driving it and get it checked asap..

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Funny thing i actually thought that there is something that at times block something.... and possibly silicon because they used this when they replaced the chains and fitted the cover back again. It would mean that they most likely will have to strip the engine partly?

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

Funny thing i actually thought that there is something that at times block something.... and possibly silicon because they used this when they replaced the chains and fitted the cover back again. It would mean that they most likely will have to strip the engine partly?

Well yes I would imagine they would have to go over there work. 

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok so update, apparently i have old software on the car for the starup oil pressure, personally i think they talking crap as this is not going to cure the noise. The car had an update previously and no suddenly there is a new update.

I don't believe these guys, but lets see i am picking it up tomorrow afternoon so if the sound is still there then it will be back with them and then the poo is going to hit the fan big time.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
What’s your current software version? 0060 is the latest for the 8P. 0040 & 0050 are previous versions.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Will have to ask them tomorrow when i go and pic up the car

alexkitto

alexkitto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Will have to ask them tomorrow when i go and pic up the car

Any good news mate? :)

Renga

Renga

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSweden

Interesting post (by Matt Shannon) in the facebook group (2.5 TFSI Tuning) about oil pressure

https://www.facebook...56086231174353/

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok update, so got the car back on Wednesday not sure yet if all is ok when the car is hot will have yo check over the weekend when u drive it a little, so far it had the cold start rattle happen this morning for about half a second then nothing. So not sure how much of a cure the sw update is supposed to be.

The oil pressures according to them is fine when tested, if they actually tested it is another question... so lets see what happens over the next few days.

I am not convinced at all

BenTTU

BenTTU

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationTamworth

If you have cold start rattle, then a fault is present with chain, tensioner, guide or camshaft pully.

Needs stripping down imo.

Ben 

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

If you have cold start rattle, then a fault is present with chain, tensioner, guide or camshaft pully.

Needs stripping down imo.

Ben

Ben
He`s had those replaced.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Hi Guys sorry for not updating for some time, been busy so the sw update helped nothing car still does the sound when hot and standing for between 20 and 60min ... problem i am having is to get the car to this when it's at the dealer.

Found out that they never did both chains when they did the engine rebuild, they only changed the bottom chain and tensioner... so top chain was not done as well as the variable cam sprockets. Seems the sound is coming from them so booked the car on Monday they said that they will submit the claim to my warranty... yesterday they phone and tell me that the assessor is there to listen to the fault ... took the car to them and left it there.

So this morning i get email to say claim rejected because the assessor did not hear the sound ... i am furious as he spend 15min at the dealership they started the car not long after i dropped it off so it did not make the sound ... he decided that is good enough to cancel... said it's not a failure and i should basically wait for it to fail .... i totally lost it with them and told them that i will not accept the ruling and demanded that they send the assessor out and let them keep on trying to reproduce the sound until he hears it .... they will fix this car before the warranty ends.

I am really so fed up with all of this, sadly i am stuck with this lemon and will just have to stick with it till it's sorted.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Christ why would they go to all that trouble stripping everything down and not do all the chains etc while in there.

Bonkers.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Yeah i am at a loss for words and now it's an issue to get my warranty to commit to doing the top chain and the 2 variable cams sprockets.

As luck would have it i dropped the car at the dealership this morning for them to check the assessor spend time from 11 till 2:30 with thr car starting it let it stand and ... NOTHING .. so i went to drive the car around stopped it waited a few minutes and start it ... NOTHING ... did this 3 more times ... NOTHING ... i felt like an idiot... got the wife picked up the car and went home stopped at the shop on the way and once at home the car stood for about 8 minutes came out and it f@$#%!& does it ... i am giving up at this point.

So next week i will try again to get them to check, here is the latest video

https://youtu.be/NVlZt-GGi30

This is definitely something to do with the chains,as i get big chain rattle when the car is cold or slightly warm ar times.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.