- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Hi Guys need some input on what could be the cause. Cam chains are new, guides and tensioners was done almost a year ago but this sound has been here since the first 1500km service after the engine rebuild. Does not happen everytime and only happens when car is hot sounds like tappets but if you leave the car idling it will go away and then you won't hear it again.

https://youtu.be/6fOuyBqGfEs

I hope you can see the Vid, Audi checked the chains about 2 months ago when the flywheel was replaced and they had to fix an oil leak at the covers so while they where of they inspected the chains they look fine no play on them.

bazf

bazf

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire

You're missing a screw on the wiring cover, it's not that that's vibrating is it?

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Nope the sound is coming from the chain side, it sounds like when you have a lifter making a noise and then going quiet. Sometimes it's much louder than on the video, it does not happen everytime so i am a little lost .. i did read in one of the other posts someone talked about the variable valve cams the units that can make a sound but i am not sure of how it could cause this sound the sound is not coming from the head area.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Nope the sound is coming from the chain side, it sounds like when you have a lifter making a noise and then going quiet. Sometimes it's much louder than on the video, it does not happen everytime so i am a little lost .. i did read in one of the other posts someone talked about the variable valve cams the units that can make a sound but i am not sure of how it could cause this sound the sound is not coming from the head area.

Jacques.

I seem to remember but a very long time ago there was some kind of software update with something to do with the oil pump to correct a fault like yours mate.

Dell.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Jacques.

I seem to remember but a very long time ago there was some kind of software update with something to do with the oil pump to correct a fault like yours mate.

Dell.

#P**sflap #2 reporting in

You are right Dell

It was originally after TTRS owners complained about a rattle on start up.

I remember mine being done after I had a similar start up noise, the oil pump was left at low pressure from the factory, something to do with the running in period I think, then it should have been switched over to a higher pressure and on some cars it wasnā€™t.

Whoā€™s to blame Iā€™ve nought idea but it was rectified in a software update.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

#P**sflap #2 reporting in
You are right Dell
It was originally after TTRS owners complained about a rattle on start up.
I remember mine being done after I had a similar start up noise, the oil pump was left at low pressure from the factory, something to do with the running in period I think, then it should have been switched over to a higher pressure and on some cars it wasnā€™t.
Whoā€™s to blame Iā€™ve nought idea but it was rectified in a software update.

Sean.

Thank you for that confirmation & hope it helps Jacques with his problem mate šŸ˜Š

Dell.

#p**sflap No1

Edited by RS3Dell, 23 August 2018 - 07:05 AM.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Hi Guys sorry for late reply, they already did this sw update way back when i complained about the rattle inhad that problem when you started it and then at about 2000rpm the rattle. After the update it was gone.
Then the engine died they did the rebuild with complete new bottom end and also the cam chains tensioners and guides. Car was perfect for about 2000km' after the first oil change at 1500km after rebuild i started noticing that when the car is hot you would get this knocking/tapping sound when you start the car ... it goes away shortly almost as if it gets enough pressure.
. It's definitely coming from the chan side .... it's a little difficult to pin point as it does not do this every time but that said it seems to happen more and more now i need to find this before November because then the 12 month guarantee on work/parts is over since the rebuild.
I send them the same clip about 2 weeks ago and nothing they just keep quiet i am also not really looking forward in getting the car booked in again. I only have one car and the car always end up standing for weeks on end leaving me without transport.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell
Personally I`d hedge a bet that it is something Audi have done wrong.I wouldn`t trust them to change a light bulb on
mine without messing it up.Can you get an independent to look at it.
It sounds like there is no oil getting to the valve gear.

Edited by 0120raptor, 25 August 2018 - 09:21 PM.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Jacques.

What oil are you using mate ?

Dell.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
These guys filled with Castrol edge 5w40 i am not sure if this is the corretc oil for the car. Also i am sure they had something else in prior to the oil service at 1500km.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

These guys filled with Castrol edge 5w40 i am not sure if this is the corretc oil for the car. Also i am sure they had something else in prior to the oil service at 1500km.

Jacques.

Thats fine as long as it the VAG 505/507 spec oil mate.šŸ‘

Dell.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks Dell, it definitely has something to do with oil pressure because if you give slight throttle then it will go away it actually sounds like something is getting oil/pressure and then it is fine no other noise or rattle at all.

What makes this so hard to pinpoint is that it does not do it every time.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
Oil pressure relief valve sticking ?

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Oil pressure relief valve sticking ?

Neil.

Now there's a worth while thought mate.šŸ¤”

Dell.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Hi Guys ok checked oil looks like VAG 502/505

@Raptor where is this oil pressure release valve located in the engine.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
As far as Iā€™m aware the correct spec for the Cepa and Cepb 2.5 is listed as only 5/30

Etka lists it in long life and standard service intervals.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Jacques.

That grade is used for the fixed 10,000 miles or 12 month service intervals. :(

I would try the VAG Quantum 5-30 505/507 oil to see if it makes a difference & its cheap mate. :D

Dell.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Jacques
I would imagine the relief valve is inside the oil pump.They usually are but I may be wrong.One way you could check
if it is stuck is measure the oil pressure.Remove the brown electrical connector on top of the oil filter housing and
screw in a mechanical gauge and start the engine.With oil warm idle pressure has to be at least 1.0 bar. At 2000 rpm
you need at least 2.5 bar. If the valve is stuck open you will see less especially at idle.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok Guys here are some better clips of the rattle i get it sounds really like a lifter sound but it's so flippen difficult to pin point as you have a very short time frame to find it and once it quiets down then you have to wait another 10min or so and hope it does it when you start the car up again

https://youtu.be/7My-wG_kp_0

And

https://youtu.be/6wdoZxWYaps

This is really annoying to reproduce as it doesn't do it all the time.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Ok Guys here are some better clips of the rattle i get it sounds really like a lifter sound but it's so flippen difficult to pin point as you have a very short time frame to find it and once it quiets down then you have to wait another 10min or so and hope it does it when you start the car up again

https://youtu.be/7My-wG_kp_0

And

https://youtu.be/6wdoZxWYaps

This is really annoying to reproduce as it doesn't do it all the time.

Jacques.

Have you had the oil pressure at start up checked as suggested by 0120Raptor i think it needs to be eliminated so you can move forward.

If the oil pump picked up some debris when the engine went bang it my be in the relief valve mate.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 27 September 2018 - 05:44 AM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
Ā© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.