https://www.goapr.co..._ea855_evo.html

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

There has been a lot of hype around APR's map for the FL car (going bonkers over it on the 'other' forum) Some very impressive numbers have been released which were very cleverly preceded by some super fast 1/4 mile times in the US by a couple of special customer cars that were prepared by APR to go as quickly as possible.

However........ when the euphoria of the big power numbers has calmed down a bit and you look closer at the facts, you can see that that the big numbers have been achieved with some special mods and using E85 fuel which is widely available in the US and can be found in some other countries too. The new alloy engine just loves high octane fuel!

Here in the UK you will have to purchase race fuel (barrel of Sunoco for example) which is very expensive and is actually not as good as E85.

The best pump fuel in the UK for a daily driven car is 99RON (Tesco Momentum or Shell VPower for example) so there no surprise that the power output for the APR map for this fuel is in the same ball park as all the other tuners.

On a more positive note, what is does demonstrate is the huge tuning potential that the new engine and OEM larger turbo has over the stock 400ps.  

Edited by Fivepotfan, 19 June 2018 - 09:02 PM.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
I phoned APR this afternoon before reading this post to ask about the other stages. They said stage 2 will come at some point but they are not sure if they are going to do a stage 3 over here or not, but unlikely. I asked about the stage 3 TTE 625 care and they are one offs for customers and no plans to even release in the US yet.

Obviously UK maps would have to be different for the fueling but I asked if the gearbox map used for the sub 10 we ordered 1/4s could be bought. The answer if a big no as the map was developed specifically for a customer. I am sure there was massive research done for the US cars with US fuels, so my concern is how in depth the mapping is over here.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

I phoned APR this afternoon before reading this post to ask about the other stages. They said stage 2 will come at some point but they are not sure if they are going to do a stage 3 over here or not, but unlikely. I asked about the stage 3 TTE 625 care and they are one offs for customers and no plans to even release in the US yet.

Obviously UK maps would have to be different for the fueling but I asked if the gearbox map used for the sub 10 we ordered 1/4s could be bought. The answer if a big no as the map was developed specifically for a customer. I am sure there was massive research done for the US cars with US fuels, so my concern is how in depth the mapping is over here.

There's been a lot of '**** swinging' over in the US when it comes to tuning the FL RS3 engine.

APR have been especially on the ball with their marketing (teasing of potential customers) and timing of the sub ten second 1/4 mile run and then subsequent release of loads of data from dyno's all over the place. Customers who have run the super fast 1/4 mile times have turned out to be the 'special' sort of customer who hand over their car to APR, part with a wedge of dollars, wait for the car to be fettled and then provide loads of positive feedback for the PR programme. Judging by the response/publicity on many forums it looks like APR have achieved their objective.

There's no denying that APR have achieved some fantastic results with their new maps for the FL car, especially if you live in a country that has easy access to E85 fuel (I am not talking about buying it in a barrel but from a pump at a gas station). But when you dig a bit deeper and ask whats in it for the average Joe public daily driver, it turns out that it's not that different from any of the other top tuners (MRC, REVO et al).

For a car that we like to use daily, most of us will be filling up with 98/99RON fuel from our local petrol station. The maps available for this octane level of fuel here in the UK will see around 470+ps for stage 1 and maybe around or over 500+ps if you have an intercooler upgrade or fit a downpipe.

Edited by Fivepotfan, 20 June 2018 - 08:36 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

There's been a lot of '**** swinging' over in the US when it comes to tuning the FL RS3 engine.
APR have been especially on the ball with their marketing (teasing of potential customers) and timing of the sub ten second 1/4 mile run and then subsequent release of loads of data from dyno's all over the place. Customers who have run the super fast 1/4 mile times have turned out to be the 'special' sort of customer who hand over their car to APR, part with a wedge of dollars, wait for the car to be fettled and then provide loads of positive feedback for the PR programme. Judging by the response/publicity on many forums it looks like APR have achieved their objective.

There's no denying that APR have achieved some fantastic results with their new maps for the FL car, especially if you live in a country that has easy access to E85 fuel (I am not talking about buying it in a barrel but from a pump at a gas station). But when you dig a bit deeper and ask whats in it for the average Joe public daily driver, it turns out that it's not that different from any of the other top tuners (MRC, REVO et al).
For a car that we like to use daily, most of us will be filling up with 98/99RON fuel from our local petrol station. The maps available for this octane level of fuel here in the UK will see around 470+ps for stage 1 and maybe around or over 500+ps if you have an intercooler upgrade or fit a downpipe.

Sounds familiar

I’m sure someone in the UK was running a ‘special’ drag map
Apparently it wasn’t all that special after all.......

Then the super dupa Build thread died a death

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

There is an S3 for sale on fleabay thats got 520hp ???

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Wash out your mouth. 🤮

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Sounds familiar

I’m sure someone in the UK was running a ‘special’ drag map
Apparently it wasn’t all that special after all.......

Then the super dupa Build thread died a death

One step at a time.......backwards.  :P

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Big turbo fitted & still only a 4 pot Roy.

Dell.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge

Wash out your mouth. 🤮

The red one was going past a lot of people at RS3fest ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

The red one was going past a lot of people at RS3fest ;)

TX.

John.

I think your find that was Dave in his RS3 which retired with brake failure. :D

Dell.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

John.

I think your find that was Dave in his RS3 which retired with brake failure. :D

Dell.

Ha ha, this one!

TX. 6263165cfe997458dd609ad7adc6b725.jpg

Nardo RS4

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
It would be good to see who is the first company to bring a full stage 3 big turbo kit for the FL that proves reliable over many miles. I know IROZ have this already but they can’t answer how their mapping will work on UK fuel and whether it can be fine tuned on a rolling road or a locked map like APR. I’m up for doing it but only when it’s properly tried and tested.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Ha ha, this one!

TX. 6263165cfe997458dd609ad7adc6b725.jpg

John.

Didn't come passed me as you was holding him up  :P

Great Photo of you mate. :D

Dell.

viperau

viperau

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Unlucky that you guys don't get E85, it really is magic.

The other night, I just trapped 125mph in a completely stock turbo PREFL, just stage 2 mods, seats out and go. On regular street tires there is too much spin so it wasn't as fast as it could be 11.2@125 with a 1.800 60ft, but there is potential there to run a 10 on the stock turbo in a PREFL. 

35671679_10155909258383423_8317552499141640192_n.jpg

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Unlucky that you guys don't get E85, it really is magic.

The other night, I just trapped 125mph in a completely stock turbo PREFL, just stage 2 mods, seats out and go. On regular street tires there is too much spin so it wasn't as fast as it could be 11.2@125 with a 1.800 60ft, but there is potential there to run a 10 on the stock turbo in a PREFL. 

attachicon.gif35671679_10155909258383423_8317552499141640192_n.jpg

Looks like you may soon be into the 10's with a better launch.

It would be interesting to try E85 (85% Ethanol) here in the UK just to experience the difference in performance, but I am not so sure I would run the car on it long term given the issues with moisture absorption (mostly nice and damp here - Lol) and the subsequent potential corrosive effects to the fuel system components.

Some of the tuning companies (including APR) have taken advantage of the ability of the new 2.5 tfsi engine to run E85 fuel (reduces knock so that ignition timing can be advanced more) and have published some astonishing power figures backed up with impressive 1/4 miles times.

However, back in the real world of us 98/99RON daily drivers, the new APR map is on par with all the other offerings currently available.   

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
E85 eats all the rubber components afaik.

TX.

Nardo RS4

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.