9 replies to this topic

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSouth Shields, North East
Hi chaps,

What’s the best way to remove the front brake pins without damaging them? Hitting them from the front flattens the pin so is there another method?

Also, I have some red stuff pads that I had fitted for 1k miles... think it’s worth putting them back on in favour of the OEM pads as they are starting to squeal like a pig when coming to a stop.

Cheers

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Hi chaps,

What’s the best way to remove the front brake pins without damaging them? Hitting them from the front flattens the pin so is there another method?

Also, I have some red stuff pads that I had fitted for 1k miles... think it’s worth putting them back on in favour of the OEM pads as they are starting to squeal like a pig when coming to a stop.

Cheers

Flattens them? Or do you mean when you hit them it makes the pin flush with the calliper. I normally use a punch tool or even a screwdriver works. One hit and the pin goes flying.

Why not get some DS2500 pads and have performance braking and no squeal at the same time. Flog the EBC and oem pads to recover some of the costs.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Yeah last time it put a flat on the face when I used a pin punch, wasn’t sure if there was special punch available for it.

I think that’s certainly a call in the future but just thinking since I have them available now to use them in favour of the OEM pads. I have a wee one on the way so trying not to spend a fortune as I still need to get my gearbox fixed too :(

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
I should add the sad face is about the gearbox, not the little one haha!

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I second Jays advice

Pin punch or torx screwdriver (they have a flat end surface)

Once it's been moved a little you can pull it from behind the rest of the way..

Generally takes very little to get the pins moving...... :)

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.
I push down on the anti rattle springs first then push the pins out with an appropriate size parallel punch with ease mate.😊

Dell.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

I push down on the anti rattle springs first then push the pins out with an appropriate size parallel punch with ease mate.😊

Dell.

Ditto 😊
Take the strain off of the pins before tapping them loose and then just pull them out by hand.
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
I didn’t end up switching the pads today, gonna just wait to get the ferrodo’s. Reason why is because I found that the holes in the discs were somewhat blocked on the front side but completely full on the back, I drilled it all out so will see how it goes for the time being.

I always get the Jetwash in where I can but it’s obviously not good enough. These have only been fitted since September

Attached File  85D6B605-F5C0-4CD3-9C47-514B012B98E5.jpeg   113.32K   12 downloads

Edited by Arkious, 06 June 2018 - 02:39 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I didn’t end up switching the pads today, gonna just wait to get the ferrodo’s. Reason why is because I found that the holes in the discs were somewhat blocked on the front side but completely full on the back, I drilled it all out so will see how it goes for the time being.

I always get the Jetwash in where I can but it’s obviously not good enough. These have only been fitted since September

attachicon.gif 85D6B605-F5C0-4CD3-9C47-514B012B98E5.jpeg

Wow!!!
Now that’s a scary sight

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

attachicon.gif85D6B605-F5C0-4CD3-9C47-514B012B98E5.jpeg

Thats common mate both times I've changed pads the backside of the front discs looked the same as yours mate.😕

Dell.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.