20 replies to this topic

Seb_RS3

Seb_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHeysham

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good trolley jack? I was wanting to get one so I could get the wheels off when required. (Don't quite trust the little thing they give you in the boot.)

Recommendations for any particualr torque wrenches would also be good. May as well get all the kit I'll need.  :lol:

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good trolley jack? I was wanting to get one so I could get the wheels off when required. (Don't quite trust the little thing they give you in the boot.)

Recommendations for any particualr torque wrenches would also be good. May as well get all the kit I'll need. :lol:

I have this one. No complaints.

https://www.machinem...ft-low-profile/

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

I have this one. No complaints.

https://www.machinem...ft-low-profile/

Ditto. Got the same one and it’s perfect. Just add a hockey puck to save your sills
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I’ve got this one

https://www.machinem...inium-garage-j/

Also got its 2 tonne smaller brother but they don’t seem to stock it now.

They do a 1.8 tonne one now in its place.

Torque wrench’s
I’ve got the large Halfords one and some smaller Würth Zebra wrench’s too.

Also have the Würth nylon covered wheel sockets too.

And the Rubber hockey pucks too.

Edited by T-800, 25 May 2018 - 10:55 AM.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

I’ve got this one

https://www.machinem...inium-garage-j/

I had the 1.25 tonne one of them before my current one but I couldn’t get the height on it to lift the rear onto my ramps in order to get the car level.

So had to buy one with a higher reach. A lot heavier the red one but does the job.

Edited by JayRS3, 25 May 2018 - 11:16 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I had the 1.25 tonne one of them before my current one but I couldn’t get the height on it to lift the rear onto my ramps in order to get the car level.

So had to buy one with a higher reach. A lot heavier the red one but does the job.

Yeah Jay I did look at them but they seemed weedy to me.

It’s why I bought the big un, well that and the fact I can jack the Renault Master with it

Seb_RS3

Seb_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHeysham

Cheers guys!  :D

I take it the pucks are still just off Ebay? (I'll go dig out the tread on here... Seem to recall it from a long time ago.)

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Cheers guys! :D

I take it the pucks are still just off Ebay? (I'll go dig out the tread on here... Seem to recall it from a long time ago.)

Here you go
https://rover.ebay.c...tm/282814554636

I always remember on another forum someone dissing these and how he’d only use a block of wood......then noticing a while after the same member posting feedback on this sellers account

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Here you go
https://rover.ebay.c...tm/282814554636

I always remember on another forum someone dissing these and how he’d only use a block of wood......then noticing a while after the same member posting feedback on this sellers account

not mates with him anymore Sean?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

not mates with him anymore Sean?

What’d ya think Jay

I know how he talked about people behind their backs while I sat in his conservatory...........

Never went back mate.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

What’d ya think Jay

I know how he talked about people behind their backs while I sat in his conservatory...........

Never went back mate.

I see. Shame. Could see it developing from few years back when I use to be more active on there.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I see. Shame. Could see it developing from few years back when I use to be more active on there.

At first i had a lot of respect for him Jay.........

Used to chat a lot via phone/Emails......

Problem came if i had an RS3 related issue, it was almost like i wasn't allowed to go 'bothering' the dealer with it, even though i had warranty.

Then came the Brake pad fiasco and the fact i found a certain make of pad not to be the be all and end all, again it wasn't liked that i decided to go my own way on it........

Plus a lot of other things...........

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

At first i had a lot of respect for him Jay.........

Used to chat a lot via phone/Emails......

Problem came if i had an RS3 related issue, it was almost like i wasn't allowed to go 'bothering' the dealer with it, even though i had warranty.

Then came the Brake pad fiasco and the fact i found a certain make of pad not to be the be all and end all, again it wasn't liked that i decided to go my own way on it........

Plus a lot of other things...........

yeah I got that. That brake thread was longgg, I remember listening to the advise too if I’m honest but I wasn’t really use to the car or know the issues at the time so I just went with it. You know what it’s like with these forums, everyone seems to follow suit. I try not to do that now which is why I try to think outside the box.

All a learning curve though, including people.

Edited by JayRS3, 25 May 2018 - 12:41 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

yeah I got that. That brake thread was longgg, I remember listening to the advise too if I’m honest but I wasn’t really use to the car or know the issues at the time so I just went with it. You know what it’s like with these forums, everyone seems to follow suit. I try not to do that now which is why I try to think outside the box.

All a learning curve though, including people.

Indeed it is Jay.....

I steer well clear now as it used to bug me because people used to go all ga ga over it....

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
Never argue with idiots Sean, they always beat you with experience 😂
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

StephenG

StephenG

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
Have seen a stepped puck on eBay for the 8p, is anyone using those?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Have seen a stepped puck on eBay for the 8p, is anyone using those?

Like this

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/282758891295

The same seller used to sell a double height version for the 8p (I’ve got 2 somewhere in the garage)

Looks like he has modified them now to just lift on the inside of the sill (the old one was like a U shape so it lifted from the floorpan, not from the sill like on the 8V)

Edited by T-800, 25 May 2018 - 04:40 PM.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
If I was replacing my jacks , I would buy this type now,
Perhaps in a slightly heavier model.

https://www.machinem...ASABEgJ-dPD_BwE

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Attached File  DE6B6B07-BF23-4A9B-953A-0982247A3DDD.png   889.4K   7 downloads

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
I also use rubber lifting pucks.

A flat based one on my large trolly jack, and one
with a turret base for my smaller jack
with a cupped jack head

Just be aware there is a definite difference in
Jack pads between 8p & 8v models.

8p uses a deep puck, and lifts on the edges of the body either side so the pinch weld should NOT take weight.

PFL 8v uses a shallow puck, with a reinforced pinch weld and lifts ON the pinch weld.

FL 8v I don’t know, haven’t seen one, I’d assume same as PFL, but worth checking.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.