15e5cf90e8601104aa7e2e9c99e76b39.jpg

😂

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Noticed another noice the other day, when I switch the car off there is a sort of clunk when it comes to rest, this used to be quite noticeable before I had the DMF changed. It would seem there is noise again, although not as pronounced as before by any means.

There is sometimes a slight noise when I go form P to D or R which makes me hope it’s only engine/gearbox mounts. I did also read about someone having wrist pin issues which I hope this is not the start of! Any pointers where to start my investigation?

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Noticed another noice the other day, when I switch the car off there is a sort of clunk when it comes to rest, this used to be quite noticeable before I had the DMF changed. It would seem there is noise again, although not as pronounced as before by any means.

There is sometimes a slight noise when I go form P to D or R which makes me hope it’s only engine/gearbox mounts. I did also read about someone having wrist pin issues which I hope this is not the start of! Any pointers where to start my investigation?

Gearbox mount is a low end rpm flutter, and again when you turn engine off it flutters as the engine is turned off. If you remove air box you can move the gearbox mount to see if you get the noise. More like a serviceable part as these are very common to failing, don’t forget new bolts if it has failed.

With regards to the engine mount if you use a pry bar against it you should see if there is any play on it. Also get a volunteer to rev it whilst your in the engine bay as that should be visible for any abnormal movement.

Edited by JayRS3, 29 May 2018 - 11:21 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Gearbox mount is a low end rpm flutter, and again when you turn engine off it flutters as the engine is turned off. If you remove air box you can move the gearbox mount to see if you get the noise. More like a serviceable part as these are very common to failing, don’t forget new bolts if it has failed.

With regards to the engine mount if you use a pry bar against it you should see if there is any play on it. Also get a volunteer to rev it whilst your in the engine bay as that should be visible for any abnormal movement.

Good advice

Mine failed at just over 20k

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

That upgrade kit looks quite substantial although you’d then need a full alignment check.
I had 5 cars all using that platform and must admit 4 of them suffered from this noise and by replacing the 2 bolts and shims that cured all of them.

Be good to know what option you go with and if it resolves your noise

Went with the oem spacer upgrade kit. I’ll fit it over the weekend and report back. Had the air box off last night and one of the bolts holding the air box bracket down was missing, replaced it and it has eliminated a rattle I was trying to track down though!

Attached Files

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 01 June 2018 - 03:26 PM.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Well the spacer kit has stopped the clicking noise from the subframe, there is still another noise coming from the left side when I go over un even ground with the wheels turned. It seems like it could be the drop link or top mount even though they were only done last year. Then again the state of the pot holes on most roads it doesn’t surprise me.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 05 June 2018 - 08:05 PM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.