• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Afternoon gentlemen! I know it’s been a few weeks since I last posted with any noises. Well I have a new one which has got more noticeable recently. It’s similar to when I had a threaded captive nut in the chassis leg which was allowing the subframe to move on uneven ground and turning the wheel when parking etc. I’ve checked all the bolts that hold the subframe to the chassis and also all the bolts that hold the steering rack and ARB etc to the subframe. The click happens a turn or so either side of wheels straight ahead and when turning into my drive (one side of the car/suspension is higher than the other) It sounds like it’s from the rear of the subframe when my missus turns the wheel and I’m looking under the car. So my only guess (rightly or wrongly) is something to do with the steering rack. I had the car up on axle stands today and can’t see or hear anything then the weight is off the front wheels. I replaced the top mounts and drop links when hunting for the noise previously, before I realised it was he loose subframe bolt. The near side does creak when I turn the wheel with the weight off the wheels though, so might have to buy another set of top mounts.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 23 May 2018 - 05:01 PM.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Mine does this. With the weight off load then no noise but when the wheels are straight and I go 180 degrees left or right you get a knock. Could be steering rack as advised by garage but it’s only noticeable stationary or very low speed. I have a video but unable to upload on here

Edited by JayRS3, 23 May 2018 - 03:24 PM.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
I just got rid of my clunk which as I suspected was due to a failed ARB droplink (offside). If you only get the noise with the wheels on the ground check the droplinks, ARB bracket bolts and bushes

Whoops I just re-read your post and have seen you checked the ARB. Apologies

Edited by Duke3D, 23 May 2018 - 03:33 PM.

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
The source of my clunk

Attached File  IMG_0531.JPG   406.96K   8 downloads
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Was yours when your wheels were central rob and you turned left and right and knock occurs? I still need to whip my wheels off and have a good butchers. Job for the weekend hopefully

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
The rear subframe bolts used to be a common problem on 8P platform.
From memory we used to fit new bolts and a spacer with barbs on to stop the problem happening again.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

The rear subframe bolts used to be a common problem on 8P platform.
From memory we used to fit new bolts and a spacer with barbs on to stop the problem happening again.

I have seen an insert kit for the 8p/mk5 Golf chassis to cure that issue, I might give it a go to see if it helps. Apparently they can be torqued correctly but due to stretch they aren’t actually holding as tight as they should.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Mine does this. With the weight off load then no noise but when the wheels are straight and I go 180 degrees left or right you get a knock. Could be steering rack as advised by garage but it’s only noticeable stationary or very low speed. I have a video but unable to upload on here

Mine is definitely noticeable a slower speeds and even more so at a stand still.

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

I have seen an insert kit for the 8p/mk5 Golf chassis to cure that issue, I might give it a go to see if it helps. Apparently they can be torqued correctly but due to stretch they aren’t actually holding as tight as they should.

Yeah the bolts used are a 1 time use yield bolt. Pretty sure the bolts are the same but the shims come from a VW Sharan.
I see Awesome sell the kit now too.
If you can find the part numbers they’d be cheaper from TPS
192f798ea5a1b2769d0c60e75a9719ad.jpg

I think I may actually have some shims in the garage.

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
From memory mine used to be more noticeable when manoeuvring around a car park and could be easily replicated by changing direction at lower speeds

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Was yours when your wheels were central rob and you turned left and right and knock occurs? I still need to whip my wheels off and have a good butchers. Job for the weekend hopefully

Yup Jay the knocking occurred when changing from the straight ahead direction. It was bugging the Shite out of me but now I’ve changed the drops for the 034’s it’s all quiet again 😁

looch

looch

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
034 rears lasted 2 weeks before they pulled themselves free through the hoops in the link. I think Awesome have pulled them from their site last I looked ?

RS3 8P - Daytona Grey - Stage 2+ - 430hp - DSG Map - Turbo Back Milltek Exhaust - Wagner v3 Intercooler - 034 Motorsport Intake - 034 Motorsport ARB - 034 Motorsport Dogbone insert - 034 Motorsport Top Mounts - Bilstein B14 Coilovers 

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

034 rears lasted 2 weeks before they pulled themselves free through the hoops in the link. I think Awesome have pulled them from their site last I looked ?

What do you mean? The metal insert pulled through the bearing?

https://www.awesomeg...bar-drop-links/

Edited by JayRS3, 23 May 2018 - 07:32 PM.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
I was looking at this kit

https://www.awesomeg...ar-upgrade-kit/

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
That upgrade kit looks quite substantial although you’d then need a full alignment check.
I had 5 cars all using that platform and must admit 4 of them suffered from this noise and by replacing the 2 bolts and shims that cured all of them.

Be good to know what option you go with and if it resolves your noise

Edited by Quattro, 24 May 2018 - 08:29 AM.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

I was looking at this kit

https://www.awesomeg...ar-upgrade-kit/

most expensive bolts ever

Quattro

Quattro

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
Think the last pair of bolts and shims I bought cost about £15

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

That upgrade kit looks quite substantial although you’d then need a full alignment check.
I had 5 cars all using that platform and must admit 4 of them suffered from this noise and by replacing the 2 bolts and shims that cured all of them.

Be good to know what option you go with and if it resolves your noise

When I looked at it they are over selling the kit. They make out the shims only cure the issue for it to come back later on. If the shims work that’s all I need. The thing is this time the noise isn’t there when breaking or moving off which has me thinking there is a chance it’s not the subframe. I’ll go for them, at least if it’s not the subframe this time it’s only £15 spent.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 24 May 2018 - 10:31 AM.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

When I looked at it they are over selling the kit. They make out the shims only cure the issue for it to come back later on. If the shims work that’s all I need. The thing is this time the noise isn’t there when breaking or moving off which has me thinking there is a chance it’s not the subframe. I’ll go for them, at least if it’s not the subframe this time it’s only £15 spent.

Isn’t the issue the bolts in time start bending. Wonder if new oem bolts with new shims will help as I’m sure the bolts will still be cheaper than the 034 version. What’s the link for the shims?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

most expensive bolts ever

How much ???!!!!!!

Someone’s having a giraffe......

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.