14 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Firstly this is not aimed at a comparison with any other springs but more against the oem ones.

Firstly I know those of you who track your cars may have a different opinion but I have been pretty impressed with the original set up on the road. Having gone from full on rock hard track set up on the R I felt the RS was better suited to the changing cambers on the New Forest B roads. At high speed on a particular dual carriageway with a bend it did not feel as planted in the dry.
Having done some more spirited driving on the same roads there is a definite improvement. I will say I’ve also changed to wheels 8kg + lighter and Mich 4s tyres. On the B roads it definitely turns in sharper whilst still giving the same level of comfort over the usual bumps & camber changes. Maybe driven to the limit on these roads you could pick up some deficiencies but for a fairly fast drive one of my car enthusiast mates was really impressed with the handling. So much so that he couldn’t believe some of the many bad BMW vs RS3 handling reviews regarding understeer.
On the same dual carriageway at an undisclosed speed I can only say it felt safer. Previously I had the uneasy feeling my suspension and tyres were at the limit, where in my R I did the same speed regularly without feeling vulnerable. The new set up is far more stable and felt like I could have easier gone faster. These days I prefer the thrill of fast acceleration in a straight line to the thrill I used to have on my bikes which was coupled with the fear of death. I guess the older you get the less risks you want to take, having learned no one is invincible and you you have to consider your family at home. I’m sure my wife will disagree and still thinks I drive too fast. 😂

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Sorry I forgot to mention I bought the height adjustable ones in order to keep my mag ride. No crashing noticed even though on around 15-20mm drop and not have reset the shocks. I will be getting this done soon at Vag Coding in London when I can arrange to get there (Thanks again Sean).

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

23 posts and no comments. Maybe I should have talked about something everyone has already fitted? :D

seventeenapg

seventeenapg

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationBelfast N Irl

23 posts and no comments. Maybe I should have talked about something everyone has already fitted? :D

What drop do you have Stu?

2018 > Catalunya Red saloon < Black pack ~ pano sunroof ~ privacy glass ~ LD Prestige gloss black wheel rims ~ red brake calipers ~ matrix LED ~ Gtechnic Ultra ~ Suntec PPF to complete front incl mirror caps ~ folding mirrors ~ keyless entry ~ sports exhaust ~ black badged ~ supersports seats ~ Blackvue DR 900s 2CH dash cam with OBD-II power source ~ RS design pack ~ comfort pack<

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

What drop do you have Stu?

I think it was about 15mm, which was enough for me to not have the horrible factory gap, but not so low it cause rubbing with my new wheels. 

I am still very happy with the drive and especially as they were £450 for the set delivered. I think more and more companies that do coil overs will have to take this route to maintain sales.

BsF75

BsF75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi

Do you have a link to the ones you bought?

Many Thanks

Brett

Nobber

Nobber

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

I was looking at these too so keen to know how you're getting on with them after 4 months.  Always had good experiences with KW kit.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Guys, if you phone K&W there is only one set for the FL and I have to say I have been very impressed with the drive over the last 3 months. Having tried lots of different makes in the past I can say I do rate them highly and if I hadn't thought they were any cop I would have thrown them away by now. :D

Slipperjake

Slipperjake

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi guys thinking of getting a set of these KW springs for my saloon. Has anyone had any bother with scraping over speed bumps/cambers?

Really want to lower the car but don’t want to be scraping every 2 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slipperjake

Slipperjake

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Anyone?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Hi guys thinking of getting a set of these KW springs for my saloon. Has anyone had any bother with scraping over speed bumps/cambers?

Really want to lower the car but don’t want to be scraping every 2 seconds

Just to add my penny's worth as soon as you lower the RS 20mm or so you can encounter the odd scrap coming off speed bumps etc at the front   :(

I've been involved with 2 lots off adjustable KW lowering spring & the adjusters are shite. :(

The best bet is to just get a fixed height lowering spring like Eilbach Pro or Street Line if you want it much lower.

Dell.

Slipperjake

Slipperjake

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok thanks for the reply

Why do you say the adjusters are shite on the KW? Don’t work as they should or give bother with use?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Ok thanks for the reply

Why do you say the adjusters are shite on the KW? Don’t work as they should or give bother with use?

The coilovers spring platform ring nuts are very thin & the adjusting spanner slips off once locked up unlike the thick lock nuts used on Bilsteins.

Dell.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

I have to say on stock springs and mag ride set to Dynamic I have grounded out on those crappy bolt on plastic speed bumps often found in retail parks resulting in  damage to the undertray - this was at 1 mph. I wanted to drop it 10 - 20mm but that experiance has led me to think twice.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I have to say on stock springs and mag ride set to Dynamic I have grounded out on those crappy bolt on plastic speed bumps often found in retail parks resulting in  damage to the undertray - this was at 1 mph. I wanted to drop it 10 - 20mm but that experiance has led me to think twice.

Tony.

Did you slow down 1st mate ?  :P

Dell.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.