- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

R90 STL

R90 STL

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
So my car has been a bit neglected in the mods department for a while now. I think it’s time to treat her to a couple of goodies.

I have been wanting to upgrade the intercooler but I haven’t been that bothered recently. I see airtec are now doing a cooler for £750 and it looks like a serious bit of kit. I know the consensus is usually forge but I was wondering if anyone has tried the airtec?

Oh yes, the good old tyre debate.. I’ll be needing some fresh rubber in the coming months so I have started looking into what my next set will be. My last 2 sets have been toyo r888 and r888r. I think it’s time to go back to road tyres as the drone from the semi slicks on the motorway is getting a bit old. The tyre of choice just now seems to be the Michelin pilot sport 4s. I like the toyo brand and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the toyo proxes sport. They seem to get a good write up.

I guess I know what “the best” options are out there for both the IC and tyres but I’m interested to know if these other options will be as good in reality whilst saving a few beer tokens in the process.

Any input would be appreciated

Audi RS3 8P. APR stage 2+, Milltek exhaust (decat and non resonated), 034 Motorsport ARB, 034 Motorsport air intake, Wagner FMIC, Bilstein B14, OZ Racing Formula HLT, Toyo R888R

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire
I've got the airtec intercooler being fitted Friday and a gutted downpipe ready for my stage 2 map on next Tuesday so I'll let you know if there's big improvements before and after the map.

As for tyres, I've always gone goodyear eagle f1's which are about £130 a wheel which I think is resonible but the only thing I find is on these cars they don't last 2 minutes....

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.
R90STL

Long time no hear mate 😊 I'm running MPS4s really good all the year round tyre inc a little 20 minutes at Castle Combe 😊
I've fitted a Forge IC on my stage 2+ car but the airtec is cheaper.

Dell.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

I've had Goodyear Eagle F1's Assy3's for over a year now. Had the replace the fronts a few months back so got maybe 10000 miles out of them, not bad for the torque that gets put through them most of the time. The rears still have plenty of tread left.

Really interested to see what the Airtec can do, I've still got my Wagner Evo 2 fitted. My car is only 10-15bhp down at most so not sure if buying another is really worth it. Considering I'll probably struggle to sell the Wagner. 

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I've got the airtec intercooler being fitted Friday and a gutted downpipe ready for my stage 2 map on next Tuesday so I'll let you know if there's big improvements before and after the map.
As for tyres, I've always gone goodyear eagle f1's which are about £130 a wheel which I think is resonible but the only thing I find is on these cars they don't last 2 minutes....

Is a gutted downpipe a solution to the noise Billy is getting or will this still happen?

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire

Is a gutted downpipe a solution to the noise Billy is getting or will this still happen?

Who's Billy?

I'm well I'm not sure, all I know is I took the secondary cats out and that became louder. Besides I'm getting the crackle map done by MRC aswell so in my mind it's all got to help towards the noise

R90 STL

R90 STL

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Solarwoody - yes please if you could let me know how you get on that would be great. I’d be interested to see what the guys at mrc think of it. I don’t think they get as good results with the Wagner as they do with the forge.

Rs3dell - iv been a bit incognito. Had a few issues with the car but it’s back to full health. Loving it again. Had a bit of a hairy moment where I nearly sold it! Glad I saw the light. Yeah I think for tyres I’d be as well getting the Michelin’s as you say they will handle any condition and probably last longer than the toyos.

Markmac - I had the Goodyear eagle f1 on my s3 and thought they were really good. The car came with kumho ectsa le sport which are quite a bit cheaper and I thought they were every bit as good as the eagles. The goal with this car was to make it a solid stage 2+ and I think the bigger cooler and better brakes would just finish it off nicely.

Audi RS3 8P. APR stage 2+, Milltek exhaust (decat and non resonated), 034 Motorsport ARB, 034 Motorsport air intake, Wagner FMIC, Bilstein B14, OZ Racing Formula HLT, Toyo R888R

Vroom

Vroom

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Really interested to see what the Airtec can do, I've still got my Wagner Evo 2 fitted. My car is only 10-15bhp down at most so not sure if buying another is really worth it. Considering I'll probably struggle to sell the Wagner. 

I Run the Airtec its good but heavy, ive never lifted a forge so cant compare, and obviously sits right on the nose. but its cheap and i ran Airtec stage 2 cooler on my focus RS track car with no issues. Selling the Wagner wouldnt be an issue on Ebay i dont think. The design of the Wagner is preferred in the hotter climates so if your open to international shipping it will sell. Very popular in SA and Asia. 

If your coming from a semi slick then i wouldn't consider anything other than a PS4s. I also run R compounds and the step up over a PS4s is night and day so you may as well get the best road tire you can.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

The Forge is very heavy compared to the stock one but this does also make it very robust & massive in size compare to the vastly inadequate stock one especially if your going to have a RS3 remapped.

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
R90STL.

As for brakes i've got Reyland 2 piece fully floats at the front & there 2 piece rears using Ferodo DSs at the front & Ferodo Premiers in the rear.

This set up works very well & is very pound friendly mate.😊

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 07 May 2018 - 07:55 AM.

R90 STL

R90 STL

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Dell I was just out in my mates mk7r and he said he got his discs from Reyland and I could not believe how good they were. Do you use the standard calipers with those discs? Instead of buying a cooler I think I’m going to go for brakes. They are far better than what I expected

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire
Yes they use the standard calipers. The disks from Reyland are stock sizes so it’s a straight swap.
Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Yes they use the standard calipers. The disks from Reyland are stock sizes so it’s a straight swap.

R90STL.

Duke3D said it all mate

Dell.

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire
A fresh lick of Matt black paint on the airtec cooler ready for fitment Friday. I'll keep you updated.

Attached Files

Vroom

Vroom

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Just to say that i was pushing the mapping on my custom stage 2+ my Airtec wasn't noted to be an weakness in my hardware. So its fine. I did over 20 runs in a 40 deg dyno room with 30 deg ambient outside and 87% humidity so safe to say whilst it may not be the best its definitely more than up to the job.

My cheapo custom DP on the other hand was noted down as well...poo lol

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.