• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Vroom

Vroom

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hi Guys

I was on a hoon Friday night and a random misfire began to become more prominent at WOT in 3rd gear only. I scanned the car and no faults were logged so i thought since im changing the coils and plugs this week ill still be safe for a Sunday morning drive with my friends. Anyhoo the misfire showed itself a couple of times on the drive but no EML. 

Just as i arrived to the road to my house the EML started flashing and went out. I glided up to the red lights no noticeable rough idle etc, However as i tried to pull away very slowly from the next set of lights the car couldn't get over about 1600 rpm and if i applied any gas it just spluttered like a bucking bronco as if it was going to stall and made a right racket. 

I cruised the last km home without using the gas pedal, the drive way to my house is long and steep and i thought it was going to die. I immediately scanned the car and the usual misfire codes were waiting for me. 

I have new NGK plugs recommended by Revo and New R8 coils to go on tomorrow. But i am wondering if i should change out my injectors whilst im at it? I will do a compression test also and am having the car towed to the workshop just to be safe. 

Thanks

Jamie.sutcliffe13

Jamie.sutcliffe13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey mate,

Just curious if those fixed your issue? I have had the occasional misfire that tended to go away, went out for a drive last night and it started missing badly. Went to it start this morning and it was idling rough so it sounds like a similar issue,

Cheers!

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
When you change from D to N does the coughing and pluttering go away? Only when Drive/reverse is engaged it causes issues?

Also out of curiosity what plugs you currently running and what’s the outside temperature like?

Edited by JayRS3, 27 October 2018 - 07:42 AM.

Jamie.sutcliffe13

Jamie.sutcliffe13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I only had it in park at the time and it was running rough and spluttering a little, I pulled the plugs and they are covered in carbon so I have ordered some new ones to start from there, all of them looked pretty awful. I'll get the new plugs in and report back, had a similar issue have you Jay?

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

I only had it in park at the time and it was running rough and spluttering a little, I pulled the plugs and they are covered in carbon so I have ordered some new ones to start from there, all of them looked pretty awful. I'll get the new plugs in and report back, had a similar issue have you Jay?

I did around this time last year. But too many things were replaced in order to pin point what the issue was. Gut feeling says it was because I had the inlet manifold guides removed (to gain a bit more power as they act as another restriction) however removing them compromises cold starts. I also was running a grade 9 racing spark plug so I think along with that and the sudden drop in temperature could have the been the cause. Also the car wasn’t driven for 3 weeks and I had a heated seat issue which I repaired and tested without running the car so maybe drained the battery a bit too. As I say I have replaced A LOT of parts and to date she runs fine.

Jamie.sutcliffe13

Jamie.sutcliffe13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Okay interesting! Well I'm just coming into summer down here so average temp is around 20c, car is also standard aside from a decat and resonator delete.

It was misfiring and ran rough a couple weeks back but got home started it up the next day and it was fine, same deal happened 3 days ago but started it the next morning and same issue,

Going to start with new plugs and coils if that doesn't work and go from there!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Okay interesting! Well I'm just coming into summer down here so average temp is around 20c, car is also standard aside from a decat and resonator delete.
It was misfiring and ran rough a couple weeks back but got home started it up the next day and it was fine, same deal happened 3 days ago but started it the next morning and same issue,
Going to start with new plugs and coils if that doesn't work and go from there!

Jamie.

When was.the plugs last changed mate.?

Dell.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Dell

Quick one for you - 8p rear bumper removal - do you need to pop out the 2 rear light clusters to get to the remaining bolts? Just ask coz my missus keeps stacking it and I have a new (as in old via Ebay) one ready to go on. Looks like it looking at the holes.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Dell

Quick one for you - 8p rear bumper removal - do you need to pop out the 2 rear light clusters to get to the remaining bolts? Just ask coz my missus keeps stacking it and I have a new (as in old via Ebay) one ready to go on. Looks like it looking at the holes.

Tony.

I've not had the misfortune yet in having too remove the rear bumper or rear lights,once you've done yours let me know hows its done mate. :up_it:

Dell.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Thanks for the emotional support mate.

Given that someone 'rear ended' her and has agreed to pay for the privilege I may hand it over to the local garage.

Its just that, if someone puts their hands up, you try to keep the cost down - hence the bumper off Ebay already in Phantom.

Jamie.sutcliffe13

Jamie.sutcliffe13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I have only owned the car for about 5,000k's so not in my ownership, just read through the service history and they were last replaced at 74k my cars currently at 112, Audi were meant to replace them at my previous service at 106 but doesn't seem they have,

New ones are on the way hope that solves the issue, they are certainly overdue!

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I have only owned the car for about 5,000k's so not in my ownership, just read through the service history and they were last replaced at 74k my cars currently at 112, Audi were meant to replace them at my previous service at 106 but doesn't seem they have,

New ones are on the way hope that solves the issue, they are certainly overdue!

Jamie.

Plugs need replacing at 19000 miles so yours are well over due & some mate.!  :(

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Thanks for the emotional support mate.

Given that someone 'rear ended' her and has agreed to pay for the privilege I may hand it over to the local garage.

Its just that, if someone puts their hands up, you try to keep the cost down - hence the bumper off Ebay already in Phantom.

Tony.

Bring it over & we have a go mate. :up_it:

Dell.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

It would be a fun afternoon probably more akin to Laurel & Hardy than a F1 pit lane but probably best to chop it to the garage - not too worried about swapping the bumper - the problem is swapping out the pdc sensors. I already changed the rear door and swapped out the window, retainers, motors and card - just don't have the appropriate cutting tool for the diameter of the sensors.

Mind you, having said all of that, it may be a laugh. I drove that car for 40,000 miles without a mark - within 3,000 miles it has been stacked 3 times. Go figure.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

It would be a fun afternoon probably more akin to Laurel & Hardy than a F1 pit lane but probably best to chop it to the garage - not too worried about swapping the bumper - the problem is swapping out the pdc sensors. I already changed the rear door and swapped out the window, retainers, motors and card - just don't have the appropriate cutting tool for the diameter of the sensors.

Mind you, having said all of that, it may be a laugh. I drove that car for 40,000 miles without a mark - within 3,000 miles it has been stacked 3 times. Go figure.

Tony.

Going by your previous repairs/replacements the bumper will be a walk in the park.😁

Ebay for the hole cutters & changing the pdc's from what i remember doing one on my last A3 is not too traumatic mate.😫

Dell.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Dell

I’ve had mine off.

I think from memory I did remove the rear lights. There are 2 hidden bolts from underneath (it you get on your back and slide under the rear bumper you’ll see them). You also have to disconnect the reverse sensors obviously too. It was pretty straight forward just gradually pulling and finding out the areas that wouldn’t move to locate a new fixing.

74dce9df3e18f7200e89febe1c8cf978.jpg

Edited by JayRS3, 29 October 2018 - 02:39 AM.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Nice one - thanks Jay.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.