• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationSouth Shields, North East
The diagram T-800 has shown is very different to that which you have shown and ‘looks’ to better reflect the physical box. I understand what your saying with regards to the diagram you have shown but ‘14’ on T-800’s diagram looks to go straight through the box as one complete shaft.

I understand one of the 3 sides of the box is input and 2 output. I don’t know which way round it is, however I suspect it bolts to the gearbox in the orientation shown on my photo. If that is correct then that part of the shaft sticking out on my photo is what engages with the box in some way shape or form. As I tried to explain above, it was this part of the shaft that was showing signs of deflection on rotation. If this has been engaged with the box and has been spinning off centre for thousands of miles, I suspect this is what has caused the ‘downline’ damage. I don’t know for sure what part of the box the splines of that shaft fit into, however as discussed above I suspect this is the front diff.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Does this look any clearer ?

The Etka parts drawing does suggest the Shaft 14 passes through the bevel box......

Attached File  vag_dsg_calibration_for_audi__vw_1_20131005_1984730453.jpg   89.58K   7 downloads

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

The diagram T-800 has shown is very different to that which you have shown and ‘looks’ to better reflect the physical box. I understand what your saying with regards to the diagram you have shown but ‘14’ on T-800’s diagram looks to go straight through the box as one complete shaft.

I understand one of the 3 sides of the box is input and 2 output. I don’t know which way round it is, however I suspect it bolts to the gearbox in the orientation shown on my photo. If that is correct then that part of the shaft sticking out on my photo is what engages with the box in some way shape or form. As I tried to explain above, it was this part of the shaft that was showing signs of deflection on rotation. If this has been engaged with the box and has been spinning off centre for thousands of miles, I suspect this is what has caused the ‘downline’ damage. I don’t know for sure what part of the box the splines of that shaft fit into, however as discussed above I suspect this is the front diff.

The exploded view of the box is from an A3 Quattro. Everything is slightly smaller than the RS3 because it`s not handling the same torque but it`s just to give you some idea of the layout.of how it works.14 does go through the box as one complete shaft.My picci shows 2 as one is an alternative for different models.  

Edited by 0120raptor, 05 April 2018 - 04:22 PM.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Neil.

Sorry i stand corrected mate going by Seans late's diagram. :up_it:

The cut away diagram was confusing. :89:

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 05 April 2018 - 05:10 PM.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Yes I see what you mean now, so it doesn’t look like it goes into the diff but actually attatches directly into the gearboxes final drive? Guess that’s even worse wear haha.

Still no word from them and that’s 3 days they have had it :(

Edited by Arkious, 05 April 2018 - 07:15 PM.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

No it goes into the diff. I give up.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

No it goes into the diff. I give up.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
😂 I must apologise I misread your earlier post when reading through earlier regarding the all faithful ‘shaft 14’ and feel like a pleb haha. That what I get for reading them as I got to work!

So, 14 doesn’t directly drive the transfer box, but does pass through it. So that shaft could have been changed without changing the whole assembly if Audi had desired. Thankyou for clarifying that it does attach to the diff, I just looked at that last photo and it looked like it was attached to the large gear in the top left of the gearbox. Cheers for looking into this with me guys. I’m not too clued up with gearboxes, I’ve just been trying to fathom out where this issue is.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Gearbox classes now offered.£150 /hour.Only a few places left.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

I must apologise I misread your earlier post when reading through earlier regarding the all faithful ‘shaft 14’ and feel like a pleb haha. That what I get for reading them as I got to work!

So, 14 doesn’t directly drive the transfer box, but does pass through it. So that shaft could have been changed without changing the whole assembly if Audi had desired. Thankyou for clarifying that it does attach to the diff, I just looked at that last photo and it looked like it was attached to the large gear in the top left of the gearbox. Cheers for looking into this with me guys. I’m not too clued up with gearboxes, I’ve just been trying to fathom out where this issue is.

Shaft 14 could have been changed by itself but if it`s suffered bearing failure chances are that swarf has damaged other parts in the gearbox as well as the transfer box..

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Well apparently there is nothing wrong with it

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
I am absolutely sick of this, absolute incompetence

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Well apparently there is nothing wrong with it

Nothing wrong with what?

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
The car, it’s been in the garage all week but they said that the noise is normal.

Have you guys listened to the video and compared it with your own to see if your cars do the same?

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Just thinking outside the diff area. Have you checked your gearbox mount? Sounds like a flutter from the video which is what mine did when it started to fail. Only noticed under slow driving/low gears as that’s when everything is under more stress.
Remove the air box and give the mount a good old shake.

Edited by JayRS3, 06 April 2018 - 05:03 PM.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Hi Jay, yeah I had the whole box all out when I fitted my 034 (bit of a **** to get out to be honest), but it looked brand new and I tried to give it a good shake and it just seemed to do what I would have expected it to do. If you remember my previous thread I thought this was the cause then but because it sounds metallic and has only happened since the transfer box was fitted I started looking at the gearbox it’s self

Edited by Arkious, 06 April 2018 - 07:45 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Just thinking outside the diff area. Have you checked your gearbox mount? Sounds like a flutter from the video which is what mine did when it started to fail. Only noticed under slow driving/low gears as that’s when everything is under more stress.
Remove the air box and give the mount a good old shake.

Listening to that Jay I tend to agree
Same noise I had when mine went to Macc Audi on its 2 month vacation.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Ohh really you both had the same noise? that's put a smile on my face if its just that!

how much are they and where can I get them from? are they a big job to fit do you know? I remember looking when I had the box out thinking it looked like a right pig of a job. I really appreciate all the help, I am at wits end with it and its really taking the enjoyment out of the ownership. I expected niggles but this has dragged on since I bought it, just in a different light now compared with how it used to be.

Arkious

Arkious

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

mine does it anywhere up to 40mph and only on corners. I can deliberately make the noise by coming on and off the accelerator on a bend as I did the first time in the video. However the rest of the sounds was just as I had the accelerator lightly pressed when cornering

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
I believe the gearbox mount is around £300 mark but make sure you order new bolts too if that’s what you want to do. Just take the weight on a jack and it’s a simple job to replace. More like a serviceable part to be fair as it’s common for them to fail.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.