• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

kalexan

kalexan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Never really heard much about this car before, though it sounds spot on, especially when you consider most BMW cars have a fake sound emulator inside the cabin these days. Maybe the manufacturer is changing this on the next M cars they release too?

..https://www.youtube....v=yuvdKDfYNeE..

Youtube link above.... head to the 10 minute mark, sounds better than any of the other M cars they make at the moment, bearing in mind Audi have muted their range to take into account the new exhaust laws expected in 2019 at least BMW are doing a good job of giving it some character, if I heard this in a car park I'd be expecting an M5 or RS6 to drive by.

Edited by kalexan, 31 March 2018 - 09:02 PM.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationMiddle England.

It'll be synthesised as all BMW 6 cylinders are. Its the same engine as in the 240 and 140. Don't be fooled into thinking its a proper M model its just an X3 with a bigger engine and a few M badges!

Current cars: Audi RS3 8V and BMW M235i convertible.

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

Kev.k

Kev.k

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
They do sound great. A M235i sounds better than a M4. N55 and N58 are both great engines.

The m140, m240i and the X3 m40i are halfway M cars. Direct rival to the Audi S cars.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

They do sound great. A M235i sounds better than a M4. N55 and N58 are both great engines.

The m140, m240i and the X3 m40i are halfway M cars. Direct rival to the Audi S cars.

Great engines.... not great cars.... wayward and nervous also common as Ford Fiestas as BMW basically give them away for free on PCP deals.

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

Kev.k

Kev.k

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Great engines.... not great cars.... wayward and nervous also common as Ford Fiestas as BMW basically give them away for free on PCP deals.

I disagree tbh. I’m not a fan of the looks but they drive great. M235i was always more planted than the M135i. M240i and M140i both have good traction. Anything but wayward. They are really direct and the tail is easy to control.

BMW give everything away these days. Look at the deals and discounts on m3/4.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

I disagree tbh. I’m not a fan of the looks but they drive great. M235i was always more planted than the M135i. M240i and M140i both have good traction. Anything but wayward. They are really direct and the tail is easy to control.

BMW give everything away these days. Look at the deals and discounts on m3/4.

I had an M135 before the RS3 and I still have an M235. The lack of a rear diff really does not help the car and they just feel nervous, on a typical English B road they do not feel happy. My concerns are more in the body roll and steering department than rear end.

Edited by coxeterj, 31 March 2018 - 06:02 PM.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
The BMW is easily the best sounding Beemer out of the box there's been in years. Plenty pops and burbles along with being up at a decent audible level.

Sorry but the majority of factory M card sound lame...... Seems Audi are following suit too in fairness.

I'll stick with my twin turbo 4ltr V8 vs these newer sewing machine sounding engines with fake noise.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Did someone say "twin turbo 4ltr V8" ?

Obviously someone with enormous taste  :)

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Did someone say "twin turbo 4ltr V8" ?

Obviously someone with enormous taste :)

Sorry Roy .........@MacD has the full fat version of the V8........

Not the skinny latte version 🤣

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
O/T but for some mad reason I really like the look / sound of their X5 M50D! Looks totally mental!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Edited by terminator x, 01 April 2018 - 10:36 AM.

Nardo RS4

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Sorry Roy .........@MacD has the full fat version of the V8........

Not the skinny latte version

is it still a twin turbo v8 ?

Not some lame arse 5 cylinder thing with 3 cylinders and one turbo missing oh and 1.5 liters and a V    :P

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

is it still a twin turbo v8 ?

Not some lame arse 5 cylinder thing with 3 cylinders and one turbo missing oh and 1.5 liters and a V :P

Ooooooo touched a nerve there mate

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Not really mate, 

Just giving as good as i get ! :P

JamesCam

JamesCam

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

I actually quite like the X range of BMW. Probably the only few I like. I used to drive them around at work, and they were very fast (granted I had some perks to be able to do that), and when you're sitting in one for 12 hours, comfortable!

They've not done a bad job with this car. It's a huge step up from the previous model X3. I'm not too much of a fan of the Q3 or Q5 from Audi.

Edited by JamesCam, 01 April 2018 - 06:21 PM.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

I would not buy one . but no denying its sounds good 

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Why would you buy any of these X/Q card when you can have a Macan GTS?

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
Why would you want to buy any quasi-SUV thing when normal cars are soooo much better?!

I read they are going to bring out a SQ2 too. Sweet Jesus...!

:blue: â€‹    Sepang Blue 8V RS3. Loud Exhaust. Loud Music. Louder Interior. Quiet Exterior.

JayL3_37

JayL3_37

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
It sounds like a tame Cooper JCW...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev.k

Kev.k

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I had an M135 before the RS3 and I still have an M235. The lack of a rear diff really does not help the car and they just feel nervous, on a typical English B road they do not feel happy. My concerns are more in the body roll and steering department than rear end.

The damping on most modern bmw’s is crap on anything but a billiard flat roads. Early m3/4’s are lethal without a set of kw’s.

I was looking at a M235i. I liked it a lot. Great car for the money. But the carbon bits, suspension and wheels I’d want cost a fortune. RS3 looks great as standard and is obviously more stable.

If I lived somewhere warm and dry I’d take a rwd bmw over a Audi. But I live in Manchester.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

The damping on most modern bmw’s is crap on anything but a billiard flat roads. Early m3/4’s are lethal without a set of kw’s.

I was looking at a M235i. I liked it a lot. Great car for the money. But the carbon bits, suspension and wheels I’d want cost a fortune. RS3 looks great as standard and is obviously more stable.

If I lived somewhere warm and dry I’d take a rwd bmw over a Audi. But I live in Manchester.

You certainly wouldn't like the depreciation!

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.