Photo

FL A-pillar trim removal for installation of dashcam power cable...

15 replies to this topic

drgav2005

drgav2005

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

I'm trying to hide the cable to a Garmin 55 dash cam but obviously want to make sure the power lead is sitting behind the curtain airbag on the passenger side.

Has anyone removed this piece of trim before or could you point me to a relevant YouTube video? I couldn't find a suitable one online or discussed on the forum and I'm loathed to start pulling at bits of trim in the new car  :blink:

Next step will be to use the hardwire kit and link it up to the fusebox... but given I've spent the last couple of days cleaning / polishing the car I may well leave that until next weekend!  ;)

Thanks in advance!

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

That piece of trim is SERIOUSLY tight.It took two of us to pull mine off the 8V. One screw behind the airbag logo then pull HARD. It may help if you can get a flat blade screwdriver in to squeeze the metal clips.You can just see these by pulling the trim out as far as you can. 

Edited by 0120raptor, 25 March 2018 - 05:11 PM.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
There’s a Screw behind the airbag logo

It’s a case then of using a trim removal tool starting from the top working your way down
You can ‘feel’ where the trim clips are by sliding the trim removal tool down until it stops at a clip locating point.
6b84b466240ecf1677ddf8ee7ff00008.jpg
It also helps if the lower trim inside the door shut adjacent to the dash side cover is removed too as it sits at the bottom of the A trim piece.
6b7685b6314c844b2448ba0116411db3.jpg

drgav2005

drgav2005

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Neil, Sean - many thanks guys!

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Finally got round to fitting the F800 Pro tonight

Airbag logo is just a clip now

8d3072356acc0fc6df90e40c22eac305.jpg

Managed to feed the wires in behind the Airbag and across to the dome light area
b943988d5897769bd5ae4e0221d08bae.jpg

Feeding wire through the rubber channel was straight forward enough then it was a case of sliding some stiff cable between the rear window and the plastic trim to pull the cable thru without pulling all the boot trims off
a60c374544d4af54492d6262dfff7d57.jpg

RadiantDarkness

RadiantDarkness

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationSouth, UK

Apologies for reviving this old thread.

How far down does the curtain air bag go down A pillar? Could you run the cable down the windscreen then cross to the fuse box without removing the trim (thus avoiding crossing the air bag)?

Thanks.

Chris.

Current: Audi RS3 Sportback, Sepang Blue Pearl, Black Seats (Rock Grey Stitching), Dash, Carpet, and Headliner. Comfort & Sound Package. Folding Door Mirrors. Dynamic Package. Lumber Support. Hold Assist. Non-smoking Package. Reversing Camera. Technology Package + Mobile Phone High + Audi Connect. Interior Protection Package. Paint Protection Package.

Previous: Audi A5 S-line Cabriolet, 2.0TFSi, Quartz Grey

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Apologies for reviving this old thread.

How far down does the curtain air bag go down A pillar? Could you run the cable down the windscreen then cross to the fuse box without removing the trim (thus avoiding crossing the air bag)?

Thanks.

Chris.

I've run the power cable on any of the dash cams I've fitted between the rubber door seal & the A piller trim then over the top of said trim poking it behind it, then continue poking under the roof lining between it & the windscreen.

No need to remove any trims or disturbing the airbags..... Quick & simple.

Dell.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Across the top where the headlining meets the screen then make sure the cable goes behind the A pillar Airbag.

You can then remove the end trim from the passenger side dash.

Pull the door rubber back a little and then you can route the cable down towards the fusebox.

If you’ve a rear camera then threading the cable at the top along the roof lining / door rubber is the easier less resistance route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadiantDarkness

RadiantDarkness

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationSouth, UK

I am slightly puzzled. So, according to the manual, there is supposed to be a panel in the back wall of the glovebox which has a bank of fuses behind it (I have a RHD car). There is no cover as in the manual! The bottom part of the back wall of the glove box is solid. There is a thin (may be 3 to 4 inch wide) black plastic strip which has a square hole in it at the right hand end just under the DVD drive but it does not see to come out. I doubt it would give enough access to the any fuses behind it.

I have the Tech Pack. Does that make a difference? 

Edited by RadiantDarkness, 07 September 2022 - 11:46 AM.

Chris.

Current: Audi RS3 Sportback, Sepang Blue Pearl, Black Seats (Rock Grey Stitching), Dash, Carpet, and Headliner. Comfort & Sound Package. Folding Door Mirrors. Dynamic Package. Lumber Support. Hold Assist. Non-smoking Package. Reversing Camera. Technology Package + Mobile Phone High + Audi Connect. Interior Protection Package. Paint Protection Package.

RadiantDarkness

RadiantDarkness

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationSouth, UK

See attachments. The manual implies the fuse "door" goes to the base of the glove box. Though I suppose this could be the angle of the figure?

Another thought. This is a bit left field. Roof headlining. The section by the rear view mirror that has the front map lights etc. There is a raised area that runs from there back to the rear passenger map lights. Assuming both sets of lights can be popped out. Is the channel a void? Could you run the rear camera cable down this void (thus avoiding any air bags). You would have to get the cable from the rear passenger map lights to the passenger side D-Pillar, but that shouldn't be too tricky.

The other option to to run the cable under the bottom door jams trim. The front to rear wiring goes along there already apparently...

Thoughts?

Attached Images

• RS3Glovebox.jpg
  • RS3GloveboxFig.jpg

Chris.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

See attachments. The manual implies the fuse "door" goes to the base of the glove box. Though I suppose this could be the angle of the figure?

Another thought. This is a bit left field. Roof headlining. The section by the rear view mirror that has the front map lights etc. There is a raised area that runs from there back to the rear passenger map lights. Assuming both sets of lights can be popped out. Is the channel a void? Could you run the rear camera cable down this void (thus avoiding any air bags). You would have to get the cable from the rear passenger map lights to the passenger side D-Pillar, but that shouldn't be too tricky.

The other option to to run the cable under the bottom door jams trim. The front to rear wiring goes along there already apparently...

Thoughts?

It’s behind that cover. Pull it gently with your finger in the cut out on the right side
It clips in /out.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I always use the top along the roof to door rubbers to feed wires to the rear on dash cams.
As my retrofitter friend says, ‘it’s the path of least resistance’

RadiantDarkness

RadiantDarkness

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationSouth, UK

I was just concerned about the curtain air bags going that route ...

Edit: Looking another forum post the curtain air bag runs down the length of the A-pillar closest to the door. So you do not want to go across the top of the A-pillar from the windscreen to the door seal as it will be over the air bag. This would be bad!

This particular guide removes the A-pillar trim and runs the cable down the windscreen side through a gap at the bottom to the fuse box.

Though a Q7 guide said if you remove the A-pillar trim panel you have to replace all the clips. Otherwise you risk it flying off if the curtain air bag goes off!

I have a "pull wire" so I may see if I can get behind the top of the A-pillar trim and get it behind the air bag and then pull the cables through...

Edited by RadiantDarkness, 10 September 2022 - 10:07 AM.

Chris.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I was just concerned about the curtain air bags going that route ...

Edit: Looking another forum post the curtain air bag runs down the length of the A-pillar closest to the door. So you do not want to go across the top of the A-pillar from the windscreen to the door seal as it will be over the air bag. This would be bad!

This particular guide removes the A-pillar trim and runs the cable down the windscreen side through a gap at the bottom to the fuse box.

Though a Q7 guide said if you remove the A-pillar trim panel you have to replace all the clips. Otherwise you risk it flying off if the curtain air bag goes off!

I have a "pull wire" so I may see if I can get behind the top of the A-pillar trim and get it behind the air bag and then pull the cables through...

Nope run the dash cam cable behind the airbag not in front of it.

Your overthinking this.

RadiantDarkness

RadiantDarkness

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationSouth, UK
I must remove the A pillar trim to do that I assume? If you run the rear cable under the top of the door rubber seals how do you know if you are behind the curtain air bags? Can you see it?

Chris.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I must remove the A pillar trim to do that I assume? If you run the rear cable under the top of the door rubber seals how do you know if you are behind the curtain air bags? Can you see it?

The rubber is on the right side for what you want to do in regards the curtain airbag as you can see from the photo of my 8P when I retro fitted roof rails..
Tbh I doubt very much the cable would stop the airbags deploying correctly if they were due to the force/speed that's used
Sorry for the sideways photos 🤔

Dell.

IMG_20210919_095426.jpg IMG_20210919_095435.jpg

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.