• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
So going to try and explain this the best I can without making myself sound silly. Mostly noticeable in 2nd gear. Just before 2000 revs with light throttle while accelrating there seems to be a jump in power and not sure why. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this and what the cause is. I'm guessing the gearbox software I've heard about would probly sort this out but not sure. Cheers ben

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

So going to try and explain this the best I can without making myself sound silly. Mostly noticeable in 2nd gear. Just before 2000 revs with light throttle while accelrating there seems to be a jump in power and not sure why. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this and what the cause is. I'm guessing the gearbox software I've heard about would probly sort this out but not sure. Cheers ben

I’m sure I’ve seen lads mention the throttle pedal before Ben, if it starts going it can be more on/off than progressive. Could maybe be the start of an issue with it. Same as always best to get someone to have a look with VCDS, it should highlight if this is the case.

R90 STL

R90 STL

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

I had a similar issue recently. The car was misfiring. Turns out 2 of the coils had failed causing the plugs to fail. Changed all of the plugs and coils. Smooth as ass cheeks again

Audi RS3 8P. APR stage 2+, Milltek exhaust (decat and non resonated), 034 Motorsport ARB, 034 Motorsport air intake, Wagner FMIC, Bilstein B14, OZ Racing Formula HLT, Toyo R888R

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
Cheers for the replys. It's just had new plugs so can't be that what are the coils and how much are they mate. So will the VCDS pick up the issue then if there's something going on there? Cheers again.

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
Also when cruising on motorway around 70mph ish it sometimes feels like it's spluttery only ever so slightly but I can feel it's not quite right. Did your car have that symptom also? Cheers.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Cheers for the replys. It's just had new plugs so can't be that what are the coils and how much are they mate. So will the VCDS pick up the issue then if there's something going on there? Cheers again.

VCDS will flag up a missfire but won’t tell you exactly what the problem is. You can get the red ones for £120 quid from Awesome GTI. Or around £100 for standard ones. What plugs have you got?

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

I had a similar issue recently. The car was misfiring. Turns out 2 of the coils had failed causing the plugs to fail. Changed all of the plugs and coils. Smooth as ass cheeks again

It was RS3 central at Dave’s when I was down the other day, mine, your one and one other.

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
Not sure what plugs were put in to be fair. Can have a look tomorrow. So really I need to do the VCDS to see what's occurring then go from there?

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Not sure what plugs were put in to be fair. Can have a look tomorrow. So really I need to do the VCDS to see what's occurring then go from there?

It’s the best bet mate, it will give you an idea of where to start. If it’s a missfire good chance it’s coil packs like mentioned above. Other wise you just start buying parts and it can start snowballing.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

VCDS will flag up a missfire but won’t tell you exactly what the problem is. You can get the red ones for £120 quid from Awesome GTI. Or around £100 for standard ones. What plugs have you got?

Hi Mark
Are the red ones like the R8 ones because I saw that on a Sirocco R coil thread? Are they any better than standard and is that for aftermarket or Audi units?

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Hi Mark
Are the red ones like the R8 ones because I saw that on a Sirocco R coil thread? Are they any better than standard and is that for aftermarket or Audi units?

I believe that’s what they market them as mate yes. They say they have a stronger spark. The ones on Awsome GTI are from ECS tuning. I wouid imagine genuine R8 ones would cost more than £120 but can’t say for sure.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Hi Mark

I've got a set of the red ones in the garage that i had on the 8P, sadly they won't be of use on the new engine as the coil pack design is totally different........

They are genuine VAG R8 ones as well, as for any effect, mainly a placebo i think on a standard car any who.........but they look good  :D

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I've got a set of the red ones in the garage that i had on the 8P, sadly they won't be of use on the new engine as the coil pack design is totally different........

They are genuine VAG R8 ones as well, as for any effect, mainly a placebo i think on a standard car any who.........but they look good  :D

Be careful your stepping into Jay territory having a garage clear out mate 🤔

Dell.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

They are genuine VAG R8 ones as well, as for any effect, mainly a placebo i think on a standard car any who.........but they look good :D

i read a good article the other day about the coil packs difference between black tops and red tops. All to do with dwell. I think the red have a slightly longer timing in comparison to the blacks. I’ll see if I can find it.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

i read a good article the other day about the coil packs difference between black tops and red tops. All to do with dwell. I think the red have a slightly longer timing in comparison to the blacks. I’ll see if I can find it.

Jay.

The different in dwell angle may make a slight difference on a stock ecu,but on a remapped one not so I would have thought.

Dell.

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
Cool. Thanks for the input guys. Going to meet a guy Friday night that has VCDS so hopefully something might come of it. T-800 if it's the coils that are the issue il give you a call and do a deal. Cheers.

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
Misfire count 1 on cylinder 3.

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
Would I need to change all 5 or can I just buy 1? Also will it harm the car if I drive it as it is? Cheers.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Change the ignition coil onto another cylinder and re scan and see if the misfire follows from where you’ve changed it too

Edited by JayRS3, 23 March 2018 - 09:52 PM.

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
Why didn't I think of that last night when I was there. Lol.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.