15 replies to this topic

Jonnyrs3

Jonnyrs3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
What oil is everyone running?
Whats best?
Im running castrol 5-30 but have read people using 5-40 saying keeps oil temps down.
True or bull..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

What oil is everyone running?
Whats best?
Im running castrol 5-30 but have read people using 5-40 saying keeps oil temps down.
True or bull..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny.

Its Bull mate 5-40 just stays a bit thicker when hot but since iv'e not seen my oil go above 100'-105' in normal use & 117' at Castle Combe last year there's no real need to come away for the recommended oil grade which is VW 504.00-507.00.

Synthetic oil starts to break down at temperatures above 140' I don't beleave any of the main brands are any better then each other to be fair.

I use VAG Quantum 5-30 as it the recommend oil & i get it at a great price mate but Audi uses Castrol Edge on there oil services.

Dell.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
I use 5w-40 and still get the same running temps as 5w-30

Edited by JayRS3, 08 March 2018 - 07:19 AM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I use 5w-40 and still get the same running temps as 5w-30

Now here's a man who knows about running temperatures 😁

Dell.

Oldmanracing

Oldmanracing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Castrol 5-30 for me

Quality brands only, I've only ever used Castrol with my 8V and believe the stealers use it, but who really knows!

OMR

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

I think if you can afford it, more regular changes in VAG spec oil are better than fewer changes with premium branded oils.

National Tyres and Exhausts offer oil and filter changes using Titan GTI Pro-C3 5w30 XTL oil. The cost is only £57 for the oil and filter service if you also use their £5 off voucher from their website.

https://www.national.co.uk/oil-change

The only potential negative I can see is that the oil filter will not be a genuine one. Most likely Mann etc. Compare that with over £200 for oil and filter from Audi and you can see that you could change the oil every 3 months and still not be out of pocket.

I used them on my R32 quite a few times with no issues.

Edited by JamesBaby, 08 March 2018 - 10:38 AM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

I think if you can afford it, more regular changes in VAG spec oil are better than fewer changes with premium branded oils.

National Tyres and Exhausts offer oil and filter changes using Titan GTI Pro-C3 5w30 XTL oil. The cost is only £57 for the oil and filter service if you also use their £5 off voucher from their website.

The only potential negative I can see is that the oil filter will not be a genuine one. Most likely Mann etc. Compare that with over £200 for oil and filter from Audi and you can see that you could change the oil every 3 months and still not be out of pocket.

James.

Mann is owned by VAG I believe 😊

As said before it not the brand it's the spec which is the most important 504.00/507.00.

If not you will be looking at needed a new camshaft ! ☹

Dell.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

James.

Mann is owned by VAG I believe

As said before it not the brand it's the spec which is the most important 504.00/507.00.

If not you will be looking at needed a new camshaft ! ☹

Dell.

Totally agree on the spec. That was a given hence y I didn't mention in directly. The Fuchs Titan I mentioned is proper VAG spec 504/507 as well as Porcshe and BMW.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Totally agree on the spec. That was a given hence y I didn't mention in directly. The Fuchs Titan I mentioned is proper VAG spec 504/507 as well as Porcshe and BMW.

James.

VAG Quantum oil was supplied by Castrol but now Fuchs supplies the Quantum oil.

Dell.

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
I use millers nanodrive 5w 40 as it was recommended to me, don’t know if it makes a difference as the cars never gets used lol 😂 🤦‍♂️

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

I use millers nanodrive 5w 40 as it was recommended to me, don’t know if it makes a difference as the cars never gets used lol 🤦‍♂️

+1 and used as a daily

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

James - That is the best bit of info I have read on here so far. I have a National Tyres depot 100m from my office. I could literally change the oil every 3 months and it would still be cheaper than the dealers. I was just reading than Mann supply vag with filters so the only difference is 5he Audi logo. My plan would be to buy 1 genuine filter a year and make sure that is fitted on the oil change before the dealer service.

Nice cheap way to do an oil change at 1000 miles after the run in period.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I wouldn’t trust National tyres to change a tyre let alone do an oil and filter change on an RS3

My dad went in for 2 cross climate tyres last year, they went outside looked at his car to double check the make / size etc.....
2 days later he comes to see me and I go look at these ‘new’ tyres, it’s then i Discovered they’d sold him 2 tyres of the same make but not cross climate

They were very arrogant when I rang them to find out what had gone on.

Took them best part of a week to change the wrong tyres they fitted and over a month to refund his original tyre purchase costs.

You really need to think who your entrusting your RS3 to.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Sean.

Same can be said for Kwit Fit with an oil change as i've had problems with a replacement exhaust in the past but only the once.

Won't use them again will try & do it myself instead.

Dell.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I wouldn’t trust National tyres to change a tyre let alone do an oil and filter change on an RS3 My dad went in for 2 cross climate tyres last year, they went outside looked at his car to double check the make / size etc.....2 days later he comes to see me and I go look at these ‘new’ tyres, it’s then i Discovered they’d sold him 2 tyres of the same make but not cross climate They were very arrogant when I rang them to find out what had gone on. Took them best part of a week to change the wrong tyres they fitted and over a month to refund his original tyre purchase costs. You really need to think who your entrusting your RS3 to.

I do agree with you 100% T-800 that you have to be careful where you send your RS3 for work, but all work is only as good as the person with the spanner and Audi can mess things up as we know.
With this particular NT garage I’ve had tyres fitted and always a good job done. More importantly I had a BCS exhaust fitted on my R which was fine till I got back home and then started knocking like a pig. Every garage I approached either couldn’t fit me in during a 2 day period or were unwilling to do the work on a performance exhaust. I wasn’t going back to Leicester in my 2 month old R with its new map & hardware and was desperate to get it sorted. I went to NT as a last ditched attempt to find someone and they not only did it but said as it only took 15 mins they wouldn’t even charge me. Not only there was there no more knocking but also the tips lined up better than originally due to the care I observed being taken.

At an average price of £250 from Audi I will give this a go. I will put in control measures like arranging to have it done as the first job whilst I wait, checking the oil grade being used each time and checking the oil level before leaving..

Edited by StuW13, 09 March 2018 - 08:39 AM.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Stu

Franchised services like the one you have found are few & far between. 😊

You can tell the bad one's by there turn over off staff.🤔

Dell

Edited by RS3Dell, 09 March 2018 - 09:06 AM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.