https://www.youtube....=em-subs_digest

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage

As he said it's horses for courses as with just about the majority of cars classed against each other. 

I'm a bigger Audi fan than a BMW fan and love the fact that quattro allows you to push it whatever the conditions so thats where my allegiance would lie.

Nice to see a journo that didn't just bang on about "rear wheel drive race car" bullshit that you hear so many times, usually from those that have no idea how to push a rear wheel drive car and spend their lives on instagram/youtube doing launch control while calling everything sick or bro!

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

drgav2005

drgav2005

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Yep, totally agree. I've had a lot of BMWs in the past and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed them, the RS3 ticks more boxes for me.

I'm not into tail out oversteer fun - especially when I've got my family and mutts in the car...

was quite surprised that he thought the interior of the M2 was better quality than the RS3. I tend to agree that the seats in the RS3 are a little too high but apart from that it's pretty near perfect for me... Just three weeks to go until the new one arrives.  :D

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
How can you even start to say that the boring BMW interior is better? One of several reasons I didn’t like the M2 was the outdated interior. The other reason was the tail happy drift biased driving which whilst being a laugh on the track just translates to dangerous on the road. Drifting around roundabouts is great if you have one with no kerbs, a run off area, no other cars or people and no police waiting to give you points. :- ).

I think there are too many fast car films that new drivers watch and think they can go out and do the same. Don’t get me wrong I’ve seen all of the FF films, but don’t for one second think I can drive that way without killing myself, half the other road users and more importantly lol my car.

Edited by StuW13, 12 February 2018 - 06:59 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

How can you even start to say that the boring BMW interior is better? One of several reasons I didn’t like the M2 was the outdated interior. The other reason was the tail happy drift biased driving which whilst being a laugh on the track just translates to dangerous on the road. Drifting around roundabouts is great if you have one with no kerbs, a run off area, no other cars or people and no police waiting to give you points. :- ).

I think there are too many fast car films that new drivers watch and think they can go out and do the same. Don’t get me wrong I’ve seen all of the FF films, but don’t for one second think I can drive that way without killing myself, half the other road users and more importantly lol my car.

No no no.........

You’ve just gotta go on Instagram and drive like a tool......

Then all your Instagram worshippers will reply in words that most of us can’t understand what they are actually saying (i.e text speak) about how great it is that you are driving down the high street at 80mph or doing donuts in the middle of the road.

BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

It's not an M2 but I'm currently sliding around in an m140i Shadow Edition. It's got the LCI2 interior which I think is a big improvement. It's a very nice place to sit. The engine sounds OK and it's got plenty of grunt but it's not a patch on Audi's 5-pot either in terms of sound or personality.

Overall, in the two months that I've owned it, I've found it to be a very frustrating car to drive (which admittedly may say more about my driving ability than the car). I know winter is not the best time to be exploiting the power of a RWD car but even when the roads are dry and the temperature's in double digits it's still impossible to get the power down so I've pretty much given up trying. It's the same story as in my old AMG E55: either you leave the traction control on and the car's systems will kill the power every time you go near the throttle; or you turn TC off and light up the rears all the time, making very little progress as you do so.

I'll admit that I bought the car on the strength of all of the glowing reviews and a brief test drive in appalling conditions. What I'm discovering is that what reviewers seem to find entertaining, i.e. the back end stepping out and twitching around every roundabout or corner, is to me just frustrating and irritating. What's the point of having 330-odd BHP if you can never use it?!  :lol:

Edited by BillTheButcher, 12 February 2018 - 08:32 AM.

Oldmanracing

Oldmanracing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
I'm with you on the scary BMW in ever so slightly wet/damp/cold conditions....

One of the most endearing features of the RS3 is the way it grips and goes in any mode, conditions and throttle opening...even on summer tyres in freezing temperatures....
It's the dogs nuts.... even if it's a bit understeery.... better than ' I'm in the ditch, kerb, other car Ovresteer.
On a track for sure..... but how many miles do you do on a track v total miallage on the road.

And if any Beeemer drivers tells me they love it on the road cos you get it sideways.... well I just hope I'm not anywhere near them when they get heroic and bin it..... tools.
Wonder why BMW and Merc are now promoting X-drive, 4Matic etc....?

OMR

Edited by Oldmanracing, 12 February 2018 - 10:18 AM.

BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

I'm with you on the scary BMW in ever so slightly wet/damp/cold conditions....

One of the most endearing features of the RS3 is the way it grips and goes in any mode, conditions and throttle opening...even on summer tyres in freezing temperatures....
It's the dogs nuts.... even if it's a bit understeery.... better than ' I'm in the ditch, kerb, other car Ovresteer.
On a track for sure..... but how many miles do you do on a track v total miallage on the road.

And if any Beeemer drivers tells me they love it on the road cos you get it sideways.... well I just hope I'm not anywhere near them when they get heroic and bin it..... tools.
Wonder why BMW and Merc are now promoting X-drive, 4Matic etc....?

OMR

The AMG was scary. The BMW is just frustrating.  :lol:

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.
Popped down to JayRS3 early sunday morning & not 5 minutes from his place on the exit off a roundabout was a newish BMW parked rearward in the scenery.😕

The appalling weather the night before or still wet road early that morning had put pay to his fun in a rear wheel drive car.😂

Dell

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Popped down to JayRS3 early sunday morning & not 5 minutes from his place on the exit off a roundabout was a newish BMW parked rearward in the scenery.

The appalling weather the night before or still wet road early that morning had put pay to his fun in a rear wheel drive car.

Dell

Was he talking pictures of it for Instagram Dell........

#lookatmeivecrashedwhileeatingsomethingfrommcdonaldsthengoingtothegym

BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

:lol:

The 140's not that bad (unless you switch everything off  :ambulance: ) but what's the point of a powerful RWD car if the only way to drive it is to have electronic systems killing the power all the time?  :wacko: 

I was matched off the line in the rain by a ****ing Hyundai Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago.  :blink: I finally got traction at about 35 MPH but it was seriously  :blush:

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Was he talking pictures of it for Instagram Dell........
#lookatmeivecrashedwhileeatingsomethingfrommcdonaldsthengoingtothegym

Pass on that Sean as I saw it after the event with the police gift wrapping around it but without the bow 😂

Dell.

JamesCam

JamesCam

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Slightly off topic, but I drove a friend's BMW M4 Performance Edition, and it just would not stick to the road at all. All power, no traction. I agree with the above comments, that the BMW interiors are always the same and there's just nothing new about them. A big reason that threw me off the M2 and all BMW's for that matter.

Every reviewer who drives both cars on a track or an empty mountain road will favour the BMW's track-like performance and RWD. And for the other 95% who don't have that joy on a daily basis, the RS3 excels in most aspects.

It's not a bad car...just not for me.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

There's an old racers adage young pups like oversteer but older racers would prefer understeer.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 12 February 2018 - 04:14 PM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.