• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

robokn

robokn

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

What tyre pressures are people running, mine seems to be a bit crashy on the front, thinking maybe a little low

18 Plate St2 TTRS, Roadster, 20" OZ Indy HLTs, Forge IC and Hard pipes, Audi Carbon Mirrors, Automotive Passion spoiler, Side skirts and front air vents.  Scorpion full system all tuned by MRC

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
I just run what it says on the door cill, 38 all round from memory.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Does it make a difference if you have 235/35s all round or staggered?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

What tyre pressures are people running, mine seems to be a bit crashy on the front, thinking maybe a little low

robokn.

Try as a starting point running the pressures as on the sticker in the drivers door shut.

I run 235/35-19 on all 4 corners at 45psi all round & my tyres wear evenly on my 8P.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 02 February 2018 - 10:27 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
^^^^^^+1 for the Door sticker.

They’ll vary any way as the tyres heat up / cool down constantly.

Oldmanracing

Oldmanracing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Yup door sticker values and pumped up to the max Regardless of load, how many people you normally cart about.
And remember to check regularly temperature and pressure are relative, laws of physics and all that.

I find that after I check and add more pressure it sharpens things up quite noticeably

One of the cheaper (free!) and easy measures to take that improves performance

OMR

mfurse

mfurse

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Yup door sticker values and pumped up to the max Regardless of load, how many people you normally cart about.
And remember to check regularly temperature and pressure are relative, laws of physics and all that.

I find that after I check and add more pressure it sharpens things up quite noticeably

One of the cheaper (free!) and easy measures to take that improves performance

OMR

At the advanced driving day I attended the Audi Lead Instructor said to run the RS3 on the road at the "maximum" (as in the pressure for a fully loaded car) as it feels more alert and the chassis is set up for that. Didn't matter if staggered or square setup he said.

I used to find the front would struggle for grip when cold and would "slap" on expansion joints badly at the higher pressure though. Swapped to MPS4S tyres and its almost perfect now and always precise and forgiving on broken tarmac at full pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I’ve never understood the need to ‘play’ with tyre pressures if I’m brutally honest.
The sticker is there to guide us so in my opinion that’s what I use.
As the above post, the car has been setup / fine tuned on these pressures.

Why people think they know better when Audi have given the precise info is beyond me.

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

According to TPMS, mine came with 42.5 on the back and 37.5 front.  Seems pretty solid.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

At the advanced driving day I attended the Audi Lead Instructor said to run the RS3 on the road at the "maximum" (as in the pressure for a fully loaded car) as it feels more alert and the chassis is set up for that. Didn't matter if staggered or square setup he said.

I used to find the front would struggle for grip when cold and would "slap" on expansion joints badly at the higher pressure though. Swapped to MPS4S tyres and its almost perfect now and always precise and forgiving on broken tarmac at full pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfurse.

I'm running MPS4s also  :) In the wet,dry,hot or cold i just can't fault them with the higher tyre pressures. 

I did a 20mins track session at Castle Combs RSFest last year & afterwards the MPS4s looked like new mate. :)

Dell.

Dell. 

Edited by RS3Dell, 03 February 2018 - 08:02 PM.

araS3

araS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have the rs performance pack with the staggered tyre sizes and bugger me the door sticker could not be more confusing if it tried.

Anyway, I had a tpms light saying front right was flat (it wasn’t ) but gave them all some air and it absolutely transformed the handling. They were all down about 6-7psi from suggested after only a few months of owenership. Now back to 39.5 front and 36.5 rear and feels great.

If you track your car drop it down a good margin as you’ll be amazed how quickly pressures build up. Although if you track your car this is probably telling you what you already know.

Oldmanracing

Oldmanracing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
I check mine weekly..... it's all to do with the temperature.... (basic physics, temperature and pressure and relative) people forget that.
Recently it's been hovering around 3 degs, and mine needed a puff when checked.

Your right about track use, needs monitoring and adjustment,

it's findimental and a lot of people seem to ignore it, and makes such a difference....

OMR (tyre pressure OCD)

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
Nitrogen is the way forward.

E15

E15

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Checked mine today as the Tyre Pressure Indicator came on on Sunday. Now as the car is only 2 months old I thought the pressures would be somewhere near the recommended as shown on the sticker...

WRONG..

33 psi all round!

So I've gone for the 39 front and 35 rear for now....

Oldmanracing

Oldmanracing

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
It's a moving target, temperature is everything

robokn

robokn

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Currently running 44 all round seems to work a treat

18 Plate St2 TTRS, Roadster, 20" OZ Indy HLTs, Forge IC and Hard pipes, Audi Carbon Mirrors, Automotive Passion spoiler, Side skirts and front air vents.  Scorpion full system all tuned by MRC

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

The pressures seem to be all over the place from the factory. My last one (delivered in December) had 35psi front and 37.5 rear. The new one has 40.5 psi all round.

They both seemed pretty solid tbf.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

The pressures seem to be all over the place from the factory. My last one (delivered in December) had 35psi front and 37.5 rear. The new one has 40.5 psi all round.

They both seemed pretty solid tbf.

They should be checked & inflated to Audi spec on the PDI at the dealers before delivery to the customer.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 02 April 2018 - 09:01 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Checked mine this evening and it’s 39 front and rear.

drgav2005

drgav2005

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Does anyone have a picture of the door sticker that shows the OEM staggered setup: 255/30 front and 235/35 rear???

In Audi's quest to make life easy, I checked my door sticker but given I'd gone for the standard setup this is all that was one them...

26419290867_faae975258_k.jpg

I then thought RTFM!!! And I did, and there are no values given in the book - doh!

Given I've moved to the new setup I'd like to know what Audi recommends. I'm currently running 39 front and 35 rear on the MPS4S tyres...

Thanks in advance!  :D

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.