45 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
What’s everyone’s views on the Litchfield Audi RS3?

Stage 1 480hp
Stage 2 500hp

On sale Now Price £2058 for remap, intercooler and air filter, installed Engine 5cyls, 2480cc, turbocharged, petrol Power 500bhp at 6430rpm Torque 484lb ft at 4070rpm Gearbox 7-spd dual-clutch automatic Kerb weight 1515kg Top speed 180mph (estimated) 0-62mph 3.5sec

This was pretty interesting to read:

All it’s taken to liberate 105bhp and 130lb ft from the 2.5-litre engine is a remap, a new air filter and a bigger intercooler. That’s it. Little wonder Iain Litchfield calls it "one of the best engines we’ve ever modified".

He says the previous RS3 motor was good but reckons this new unit is on a different level altogether. His theory is that manufacturers are being so hamstrung by emissions regulations these days that the only way they can make their high-performance engines efficient enough to pass the tests while also producing the necessary power is to really overload them with high-end tech, such as high-flow exhaust systems.

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Imho Audi are holding the new engine back so they can "tune it up" later. Mappers are finding an easy 100hp more. Warranty is the Big Issue though surely?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Imho Audi are holding the new engine back so they can "tune it up" later. Mappers are finding an easy 100hp more. Warranty is the Big Issue though surely?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Yep a FL thing

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

Litchfield must be on a sales drive for their product. The review of the white saloon is in all the popular magazines and websites (EVO, Autocar, Pistonheads, Topgear blah blah) but it's strange that all the reviews have pretty much the same text and comments - almost as if the journo's have been handed a script to print and each have put their own slightly different angle on it. The pictures are also all the same which makes me think that they maybe they have not even driven the car? Clever marketing by Litcho I guess.

As for the tune......their Facebook page boasted some interesting numbers. However, I am always wary of any tuner that uses the base factory numbers in an advert for their product (Tuning Box manufacturers are notorious for this). Litchfield claim an 86lbs/ft torque increase but this is from the stock Audi 480nm (353lbs/ft), someone on another site posted the stock run for the car and it was way over that (as most are). I find this is mis-leading. Why do they never post up the stock power curve BEFORE the car is tuned - surely they must check it is all running ok before adding any tuning parts? Is there something to hide?

The stage 2 results are ok (just over 500bhp and 480lbs/ft or 650nm) but lower than others are currently achieving with the intercooler fitted. Litchfield don't seem to wind in as much boost as other tuners (which is no bad thing I suppose) so maybe that could be why. No doubt the MAHA dyno will offered as an explanation.

Of course dyno results are just a guide and can vary enormously. How the car drives is the real test and how its stacks up on Vbox or sprint times. Be careful though, there is a lot of boll*x going on out there with the FL car at the moment. Tuners are claiming lots of fast 1/4 mile times being acheived in various stages of tune, but when you dig a bit deeper you find race fuel, sticky tyres, stripped out cars etc. Not the sort of stuff you use for a daily driver.

I will be going through all this later this year when my new car arrives.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Litchfield must be on a sales drive for their product. The review of the white saloon is in all the popular magazines and websites (EVO, Autocar, Pistonheads, Topgear blah blah) but it's strange that all the reviews have pretty much the same text and comments - almost as if the journo's have been handed a script to print and each have put their own slightly different angle on it. The pictures are also all the same which makes me think that they maybe they have not even driven the car? Clever marketing by Litcho I guess.

As for the tune......their Facebook page boasted some interesting numbers. However, I am always wary of any tuner that uses the base factory numbers in an advert for their product (Tuning Box manufacturers are notorious for this). Litchfield claim an 86lbs/ft torque increase but this is from the stock Audi 480nm (353lbs/ft), someone on another site posted the stock run for the car and it was way over that (as most are). I find this is mis-leading. Why do they never post up the stock power curve BEFORE the car is tuned - surely they must check it is all running ok before adding any tuning parts? Is there something to hide?

The stage 2 results are ok (just over 500bhp and 480lbs/ft or 650nm) but lower than others are currently achieving with the intercooler fitted. Litchfield don't seem to wind in as much boost as other tuners (which is no bad thing I suppose) so maybe that could be why. No doubt the MAHA dyno will offered as an explanation.
Of course dyno results are just a guide and can vary enormously. How the car drives is the real test and how its stacks up on Vbox or sprint times. Be careful though, there is a lot of boll*x going on out there with the FL car at the moment. Tuners are claiming lots of fast 1/4 mile times being acheived in various stages of tune, but when you dig a bit deeper you find race fuel, sticky tyres, stripped out cars etc. Not the sort of stuff you use for a daily driver.

I will be going through all this later this year when my new car arrives.

^^^^^^**this 100%.

I like your postings Brian.

Because you talk complete sense.

I bet you can’t wait for the new car.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Guys 100% with you on quoting the standard figures in order to show a few extra and a common trick.

I am keeping an eye out for the stage 1 and 2 maps from APR to see what they have to say. I know they haven't been without fault on all cars in the past but they do seem to do the correct R&D.

I am looking at 6000 miles on the clock and if no issues I do stage 1 or 2 myself. Once I have paid off the 50% that Audi finance own I will be going for a built engine and something like a TTE625.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Guys 100% with you on quoting the standard figures in order to show a few extra and a common trick.

I am keeping an eye out for the stage 1 and 2 maps from APR to see what they have to say. I know they haven't been without fault on all cars in the past but they do seem to do the correct R&D.

I am looking at 6000 miles on the clock and if no issues I do stage 1 or 2 myself. Once I have paid off the 50% that Audi finance own I will be going for a built engine and something like a TTE625.

Here's something to 'aspire' to. The crazy Iroz Motorsport conversions which showcase what can be acheived with these new engines.

No info on the engine spec and output other than it is obviously one of their 'built' engines, Custom Code mapping and bespoke in-house downpipe. Using stock airbox though!!!! Just mental!

https://www.instagra...JQEhnAvy/?r=wa1

Edited by Fivepotfan, 28 January 2018 - 10:25 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Fiveporfan - I read Iroz use a lot of IE parts so it would be interesting to see if they are doing intercooler snow. I priced an engine build for my Scirocco R from IE parts and there was some serious high tech to make a bullet proof set up. Too late now but still hoping I haven’t made a mistake not just going for it.

Hal

Hal

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Wagner, like IE, also engineer their i/cs with distributed airflow so that the whole matrix is used in cooling, which might explain the extra few hundred € on their price compared to the UK ones.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Wagner, like IE, also engineer their i/cs with distributed airflow so that the whole matrix is used in cooling, which might explain the extra few hundred € on their price compared to the UK ones.

Wagnerr use tube & fin matrix were Forge go for the plate & fin matrix both have there pros,cons & price in both materials & manufacturing.

Dell.

viperau

viperau

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Here's something to 'aspire' to. The crazy Iroz Motorsport conversions which showcase what can be acheived with these new engines.

No info on the engine spec and output other than it is obviously one of their 'built' engines, Custom Code mapping and bespoke in-house downpipe. Using stock airbox though!!!! Just mental!

https://www.instagra...JQEhnAvy/?r=wa1

Just FYI

That's not a built motor.

Its downpipe, intercooler, xona turbo and DR2 tyres. 

10.2 with seats in and 10.0 with seats out. 

We will see 9s on the stock motor @ 145mph with this car. Pretty Insane really. 

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Just FYI

That's not a built motor.

Its downpipe, intercooler, xona turbo and DR2 tyres. 

10.2 with seats in and 10.0 with seats out. 

We will see 9s on the stock motor @ 145mph with this car. Pretty Insane really. 

Yep you are right. I only discovered it was stock earlier this week when I watched an interview with Hank Iroz about the parts he uses (I posted a copy in the 8V saloon section). He is revving the stock engine with the bigger turbo to 7800rpm with well over 600bhp (I think he mentions 750bhp for the largest one?)!  :blink:. He does also say that he knows it will shed a rod at some point (at 11mins 30secs into the vid) but is happy to keep pushing the stock engine to see what the limit is.

It was interesting to hear his views on the extra capability of the other engine components. Maybe Audi been really clever with development of this engine knowing full well that Merc will be serving up a revised 400+bhp A45AMG next year?  

viperau

viperau

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Merc will lose that battle. The 2.5T just has so much in reserve, Audi can counter with a 450hp version that's still not even stressing the engine any time they want really.

Irfy

Irfy

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLiverpool
If you have a GTR then use Litchfield. For VAG go elsewhere. They’re useless on our cars

2016 Audi RS3: Panther Black | SS seats | Design Pack | Technology Pack & Connect | Dynamic Pack | Alu Styling Pack | B&O | Sunroof | Privacy Glass | Camera

Mods: APR map | Milltek downpipe | Forge FMIC | R8 Coils | 034 Motorsport Intake | Carbon Engine Covers | H&R springs | Oil Temp | Alarm Beep

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

If you have a GTR then use Litchfield. For VAG go elsewhere. They’re useless on our cars

Now that's going to raffle the feathers in some circles.🤔😁

Dell.

JamesCam

JamesCam

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

This is just personal preference, but I'm going to wait for the warranty to expire first. As great as the engine is, it's a lot of stress being put on it, & that transmission is going to be working hella' hard. I think once the 3 years (or close to) are up, I'll start doing some big upgrades.

Or as Stu said above, I may overpay finance and get the 50% done quick time. Overtime Bandit incoming..

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

This is just personal preference, but I'm going to wait for the warranty to expire first. As great as the engine is, it's a lot of stress being put on it, & that transmission is going to be working hella' hard. I think once the 3 years (or close to) are up, I'll start doing some big upgrades.

Or as Stu said above, I may overpay finance and get the 50% done quick time. Overtime Bandit incoming..

James.

At GTI last year a Golf R with a tune RS3 engine did 50 0-60 runs with a best of 2.7secs over the 2 days 😈

These DSG box's are very robust mate.😊

Dell.

JamesCam

JamesCam

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

James.

At GTI last year a Golf R with a tune RS3 engine did 50 0-60 runs with a best of 2.7secs over the 2 days

These DSG box's are very robust mate.

Dell.

Fair play!

All this new tech makes for a stronger box at the end of the day. Still, gonna wait it out a little bit anyways. Those are some crazy times though, the thought of that on a public road is mind boggling. :blink:

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

My thoughts exactly James. I’m going to pay all my bonuses off my balance so maybe in 18 months time I can start modding. At that point all the R&D work will be done and we will see the best 600-750 set ups are available. We will also see what companies like Iroz do when they break the new engines.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
Fivepotfan is bang on the money there, my opinion on stepping back and reading the forum is Litchfield don't live up to the quoted figures.

I'd be putting my trust in more well known VAG tuners like your Apr's and your MRC.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.