Forge Intercooler *HELP*

29 replies to this topic

billymc92

billymc92

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationScotland - Edinburgh
Does anyone know any companies that have a forge intercooler in stock or anyone that has one for sale. Every company I’ve tried so far are saying 4-5 weeks and same story with all the ones for sale on eBay

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Part Number FMINT4

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Billy

I think Forge only make to order mate.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 26 January 2018 - 02:09 PM.

Danny

Danny

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

I bought through Forgemotorsport direct.  I'm assuming you have tried them Billy?

You could always look at the Wagner Competition Evo 3 intercooler as another option?

billymc92

billymc92

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
Yeah I’ve tried them, If I can’t get one in time I’ll go for a airtec one as they have them in stock. Anyone heard good things about them?

robokn

robokn

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Personally I would wait the build quality is superb and you get a decent crash bar 

not soem fuddled together thing

18 Plate St2 TTRS, Roadster, 20" OZ Indy HLTs, Forge IC and Hard pipes, Audi Carbon Mirrors, Automotive Passion spoiler, Side skirts and front air vents.  Scorpion full system all tuned by MRC

billymc92

billymc92

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Personally I would wait the build quality is superb and you get a decent crash bar
not soem fuddled together thing

You get all that with airtec too

billymc92

billymc92

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
So this morning I ordered a intercooler from Airtec. On reading up on it and the description it’s very similar to Forge. Only difference is it’s £100 cheaper and not made to order (5 weeks wait). And I got a RS owners club forum discount code which surprisingly gave me £76 off so worked out nearly £200 cheaper. I’ll let you all know how it performs when it’s dynoed next month

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
http://www.just-perf.../post&post_id=5

I know the above is not a test done on an RS3 but at least it’s a test of Airtec vs Forge intercoolers. Basically I’ve heard on Ford, VW and Vauxhall forums that they are just as good and better value. Personally I think Forge units are good but I’m open minded always.

If I was choosing an intercooler I’d go for an intergrated Engineer one all day long because I saw tests where the outperformed several others. Sadly I don’t think they are available for your model yet. Regal Autosports use IE on 500hp Golf R and Scirocco R conversations and swear by the test results.
If you go to a dealer unless you see test results you will often get poor advice. I have first hand experience from an owner who told me they make vastly different profit margins with different brands. The difference in price can sometimes be a larger profit margin only.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Billy.

Any upgrade IC is better then the OEM one & the difference in performance between makes is marginal mate.

I'm running a Forge one by the way 😊

Dell

silky16v

silky16v

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

not sure if any help to you put everything you need in my for sale advert parts will be available tomorrow

http://www.audirs3oc...nversion-parts/

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

A little bit of internet info on potential intercooler options for the RS3 8V....

https://www.etuners....8v-intercooler/

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

Renga

Renga

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSweden

http://www.hperforma...uftkuehler.html

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I am looking at intercoolers myself now and wondered if anyone who has fitted the Forge unit to a FL had any issues? Does anything need to be cut and I heard something about opening up the front intake to take full advantage of an uprated IC, but not sure if this was for the Forge unit.

Braderz666

Braderz666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

what about the latest pro alloy cooler? does anyone know anything about it? core type act...? pro alloy usually make good stuff.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

I am looking at intercoolers myself now and wondered if anyone who has fitted the Forge unit to a FL had any issues? Does anything need to be cut and I heard something about opening up the front intake to take full advantage of an uprated IC, but not sure if this was for the Forge unit.

I have the Forge FMINT4 being fitted to my FL car next week. I also had the same IC on my PFL car too. The only part that needs modifying as far as I know is the OEM crash bar but this is supplied by Forge as part of the FMINT4 kit. Sometimes the packing behind the front bumper may need removing to accommodate the thicker Forge cooler, you may also need to consider how you fit the OEM number plate holder as the brackets supplied by Forge are pants! I used some dry wall butterfly clamps which fold and spring out behind the grill when in place. I don't know if this will be the same for the FL car but I guess I will find out next week.

IMG_3462.JPG

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Nice one Fivelotfan, I will be looking forward to reading your follow up post on this. What software are you using and have you done any other mods yet?

robokn

robokn

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

On the fitment of the number plate I have two filled in sections on the grill, I have a small number plate so

cut down the OEM plinth and fitted super strong magnets to both and it works a treat even in the hot weather

18 Plate St2 TTRS, Roadster, 20" OZ Indy HLTs, Forge IC and Hard pipes, Audi Carbon Mirrors, Automotive Passion spoiler, Side skirts and front air vents.  Scorpion full system all tuned by MRC

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
I used the Forge No plate fittings with German No plate surround which work ok tbh as the plate can be fitted wherever i wanted on the grill.

UK No plates do fit with no problems in the German No plate surrounds.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 28 June 2018 - 07:50 AM.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Nice one Fivelotfan, I will be looking forward to reading your follow up post on this. What software are you using and have you done any other mods yet?

Ran two facelift cars on Surrey Rolling Road dyno last week. One car completely stock (friends car), and my car with the HG Motorsport intake pipe and K&N high flow filter fitted. Results were not as expected except for the slightly optimistic dyno numbers (always around 2 or 3% high on average at SRR) but we went to get an 'apples for apples' comparison anyway.

Steve's completely stock car (the green plot line at the top) ran 422bhp with decent torque (around 410lbs/ft) while my car showed good promise with the HG intake with significant gains over stock right up to 5K rpm. It's at this point where my car didn't seem to like something and pulled timing which can be seen at the red plot line losing around 60 to 70bhp before climbing back to a respectable 415bhp at 6800rpm and 420lbs/ft torque.

The obvious difference between the two cars was the HG intake and filter on my car. I have opted to strip these parts off and get the car dyno tested again this weekend to prove if it's just the performance parts not being optimized, or maybe I have an underlying problem with the car.

Both cars are off to MRC next week for remapping, one car will be stage 1 (Steve's) and prior to mapping mine it will have the Forge IC added and hopefully the HG intake + K&N too. I may also consider fitting a downpipe in a month or two.

IMG_3473.JPG

Edited by Fivepotfan, 28 June 2018 - 05:10 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Hi Fivepotfan, hopefully if you find something wrong it’s fairly simple like plugs or coils packs. It can be a pain if nothing obvious shows on a diagnostic check.
I’m looking at the same set up you but may go APR map due to having a dealer 5 miles away.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.