Photo

Exhaust valve not opening with S button switched on.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Ok cool cheers dude thanks. Just one other question does the exhaust blow only out one pipe as mine does with button on or off and if i give some revs or is that cause the car is not moving.

Cheers

Rysn

It should come out of both when the S button is pressed and the valve is open, I think it may come out of the right one slightly more as it’s essentially a silencer by pass. I never really paid attention while I was checking mine.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 21 February 2018 - 07:45 AM.

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

It should come out of both when the s button is pressed and the valve is open.

Ok cool, I have a feeling its stuck shut then even tho there is a noise at the back its not moving i think. Yes it does come out right definitely but seems nothing out of left. possibly new exhaust???

Edited by Hall1979, 21 February 2018 - 07:50 AM.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Ok cool, I have a feeling its stuck shut then even tho there is a noise at the back its not moving i think.

If it’s a standard exhaust it seems to be fairly common, just check with a torch with the car switch off and on then try moving it by hand. If that’s all ok then it’s the solenoid. Is the short answer.

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

If it’s a standard exhaust it seems to be fairly common, just check with a torch with the car switch off and on then try moving it by hand. If that’s all ok then it’s the solenoid. Is the short answer.

Is it fairly easy to move as i had quick play yesterday and seems solid to move lol.

Edited by Hall1979, 21 February 2018 - 08:03 AM.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Ok cool cheers dude thanks. Just one other question does the exhaust blow only out one pipe as mine does with button on or off and if i give some revs or is that cause the car is not moving.

Cheers

Rysn

No when you press the sport button it should open the valve and blow out of both pipes, this is the issue with mine and I’m changing the solenoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

No when you press the sport button it should open the valve and blow out of both pipes, this is the issue with mine and I’m changing the solenoid.

Do u have link for getting a new solenoid???

Cheers

Ryan

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
I just looked on eBay think part number is on the drawing further up the thread, if you go to Audi think it’s like £92 got a genuine one from eBay for £20 they are a part share with VW and Skoda I think

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

I just looked on eBay think part number is on the drawing further up the thread, if you go to Audi think it’s like £92 got a genuine one from eBay for £20 they are a part share with VW and Skoda I think

Yes cool mate 👍 i see they share with diesels as well.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
Right I have swapped the solenoid, it’s still not opening when I press sport but if I have it in sport pull off the vac hose the flap opens then I turn sport off and it shuts but won’t open again! I’m stumped

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Right I have swapped the solenoid, it’s still not opening when I press sport but if I have it in sport pull off the vac hose the flap opens then I turn sport off and it shuts but won’t open again! I’m stumped

Have you put the hoses on the correct way round? It’s pulling vacuum and the vacuum pump is working anyway.

Might be worth getting VCDS on it to narrow down the fault otherwise.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 22 February 2018 - 07:43 PM.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
Yes as far as I’m aware they are the right way, it’s supposed to suck air, I just can’t understand how if I pull the pipe off the thing opens then stays open until I turn sport mode off. Also when the car is switched off i can’t move the actuator arm until I pull off the vac pipe it’s like it’s holding a vacuum even when the engine is off. It can’t be the solenoid as that’s new, but the actuator closes when sport mode is turned off. Is the actuator controlled from throttle when driving for example in sport mode when you accelerate you hit say 4500rpm does the flap open?

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Have you put the hoses on the correct way round? It’s pulling vacuum and the vacuum pump is working anyway.

Might be worth getting VCDS on it to narrow down the fault otherwise.

Yes as far as I’m aware they are the right way, it’s supposed to suck air, I just can’t understand how if I pull the pipe off the thing opens then stays open until I turn sport mode off. Also when the car is switched off i can’t move the actuator arm until I pull off the vac pipe it’s like it’s holding a vacuum even when the engine is off. It can’t be the solenoid as that’s new, but the actuator closes when sport mode is turned off. Is the actuator controlled from throttle when driving for example in sport mode when you accelerate you hit say 4500rpm does the flap open?

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

I would try swapping the hoses round on the solenoid, it sounds like the vacuum is being held in the system which sounds like it’s back to front if you know what I mean. Swapping the hoses is a quick and easy check, if that doesn’t work then I’m stumped as your vacuum pump is working, your valve is working and you have a new solenoid which should be working. At least then you’ve eliminated all the variables you can. Failing that it would have to be a VCDS scan.

No as soon as you press the sport button it should open or close even at idle.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 23 February 2018 - 07:25 AM.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK

No as soon as you press the sport button it should open or close even at idle.

unless its on cold start high idle, and it with open when the cars finished that stage of high idle.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

unless its on cold start high idle, and it with open when the cars finished that stage of high idle.

I’m trying to keep it simple to get things clear in my own head 😂

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 23 February 2018 - 07:29 AM.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

I’m trying to keep it simple to get things clear in my own head

Believe me I’m stumped, I will try swap the hoses when I get home later and post an update

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
It’s fixed, I followed the drawing and it appears that even on the drawing it’s wrong haha all sorted now though!! I’m a happy chap driving round in s-mode

086098139eb9856fc81b8dc60ae71ae4.jpg

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

It’s fixed, I followed the drawing and it appears that even on the drawing it’s wrong haha all sorted now though!! I’m a happy chap driving round in s-mode

086098139eb9856fc81b8dc60ae71ae4.jpg

Glad its sorted on yours pal, Mine is definitely seized up, So time for a new exhaust and treat myself me thinks. 😁

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
So... havnt bought this solenoid thing yet but I had another look today. Can I not take the arm of the flap so it stays open all the time? That wouldn't worry me in the slightest as it's to quiet anyway. I've got a miltek system just wondering how much difference there is between valve open and valve shut also does it restrict power slightly only using one exit pipe? Cheers.

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
Anyone got a link to the eBay solenoid part?

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.