Photo

Exhaust valve not opening with S button switched on.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
c05843bc5a480f8a59de86b37d1f4349.jpgf7faee28be69d1872bcda14ce6dadd28.jpg

Djbennyb

Djbennyb

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationSouthampton
I've found that also. Doesn't seem to make a difference but with a full miltek system this on/off valve thing I'm guessing won't be on there?

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

I've found that also. Doesn't seem to make a difference but with a full miltek system this on/off valve thing I'm guessing won't be on there?

Have you had this problem then? Did the solenoid fix your issue

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
You are having the exact same issue as I did Tommy, valve is open when the car is off and shuts as soon as you start the car. The S button won't operate it as the solenoid is stuck open and the valve is seeing vacuum while the car is started. The solenoid in question is in the left of the rear bumper as you look at the car from the rear. Trace the vacuum hose back to find it. It is easy enough to change out even with the car on the ground. Mine was a bit stiff to come apart due to dirt and grit coming up from the rear wheel. Mine was £22 quid from Autodoc.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 20 February 2018 - 07:23 AM.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Yes, you will have a valve Djbennyb. I have a TB Miltek and have the valve. I don't think it was an option to not have the valve, like on the 8V S3 or Mk7 Golf R.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 20 February 2018 - 07:08 AM.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

You are having the exact same issue as I did Tommy, valve is open when the car is off and shuts as soon as you start the car. The S button won't operate it as the solenoid is stuck open the valve is seeing vacuum while the car is started. The solenoid in question is in the left of the rear bumper as you look at the car from the rear. Trace the vacuum hose back to find it. It is easy enough to change out even with the car on the ground. Mine was a bit stiff to come apart due to dirt and grit coming up from the rear wheel. Mine was £22 quid from Autodoc.

So it isn’t the solenoid in the engine bay? That’s the one I have ordered, because it’s the only one I could find a part number for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

So it isn’t the solenoid in the engine bay? That’s the one I have ordered, because it’s the only one I could find a part number for

It is the right solenoid that’s the one I ordered, the diagram is misleading as to where it is located. I personally think that solenoid should be part of this diagram to show its proper location. Although you can see logically they have kept the vacuum system all on one diagram.

Attached Files

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

It is the right solenoid that’s the one I ordered, the diagram is misleading as to where it is located. I personally think that solenoid should be part of this diagram to show its proper location. Although you can see logically they have kept the vacuum system all on one diagram.

I know what you mean it looks like it’s in the engine when really it’s at the back, this is what I have ordered any way

4092e55167b728739154ad157096370f.jpg

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
You want to look in behind here, just trace the hose back from the actuator.

Attached Files

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

I know what you mean it looks like it’s in the engine when really it’s at the back, this is what I have ordered any way4092e55167b728739154ad157096370f.jpg

That’s the one.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

That’s the one.

Sound I’m guessing it’s only like a 10 minute job, I will get it sorted Saturday

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Sound I’m guessing it’s only like a 10 minute job, I will get it sorted Saturday

If that even, mine was quite stiff to come appart due to fine grit etc flung up from the rear wheel. Nothing a small flat screw driver and some gentle persuasion couldn’t sort. Not the best place for it to be situated in all honesty. There is a small clip on the solenoid not sure where it is suppose to clip on to as mine was just lying in the rear bumper when I went to change it.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
Mine is clipped onto something as when I pulled off the vac hose the solenoid didn’t budge, will have a good look Saturday

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Mine is clipped onto something as when I pulled off the vac hose the solenoid didn’t budge, will have a good look Saturday

Perfect, let me know please. I can clip mine where it should be then.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
Will put a picture up when I’m underneath Saturday

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
Think me is not working as well. Am i right in thinking with the valves open the exhaust should be blowing through both tips as mine is only blowing through the one. Cant seem to move the valve up and dowm manually as it wont budge. Also which pipe is it i need to take off to see as i cant get my hand to remove it. Also when i push the S buttom i do get click from the back near exhaust.
Is the pipe the on the solenoid i can just pull off. As i can get my hand on that one.

Cheers guys

Edited by Hall1979, 20 February 2018 - 05:30 PM.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Think me is not working as well. Am i right in thinking with the valves open the exhaust should be blowing through both tips as mine is only blowing through the one. Cant seem to move the valve up and dowm manually as it wont budge. Also which pipe is it i need to take off to see as i cant get my hand to remove it. Also when i push the S buttom i do get click from the back near exhaust.
Is the pipe the on the solenoid i can just pull off. As i can get my hand on that one.

Cheers guys

It does sound like your one is stuck shut but with the click it would seem it might be working. Is it quite an audible metallic click? The pipe with the valve is the right hand one, when you look up it you can see the valve and if it’s shut or open.

That is the actuator that’s on top of the exhaust, you can take the black pipe off of it to see if the valve stays open or shut when you start the car, If it stays shut the valve is stuck. You can trace the vacuum hose back into the rear bumper as that is where the solenoid is.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 20 February 2018 - 07:12 PM.

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

It does sound like your one is stuck shut but with the click it would seem it might be working. Is it quite an audible metallic click? The pipe with the valve is the right hand one, when you look up it you can see the valve and if it’s shut or open.

That is the actuator that’s on top of the exhaust, you can take the black pipe off of it to see if the valve stays open or shut when you start the car, If it stays shut the valve is stuck. You can trace the vacuum hose back into the rear bumper as that is where the solenoid is.

Yes the sound is a metallic click and fairly noticeable yes. Regarding the pipe can i just pull it off the solenoid end at the back or do i need to do it on the actuator itself as i cant seem to get my fingers on it from what i saw earlier also does car need be running dude while doing this. Regarding the valves themselves i take there be in closed position as im not sure there in the open or close position im guess closed tho.

Cheers pal

Ryan

Edited by Hall1979, 20 February 2018 - 09:14 PM.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Yes the sound is a metallic click and fairly noticeable yes. Regarding the pipe can i just pull it off the solenoid end at the back or do i need to do it on the actuator itself as i cant seem to get my fingers on it from what i saw earlier also does car need be running dude while doing this. Regarding the valves themselves i take there be in closed position as im not sure there in the open or close position im guess closed tho.

Cheers pal

Ryan

If it’s a noticeable metallic click then it sounds like your valve is working. Do you just have a standard exhaust? Maybe it’s not giving a big change in sound open and shut. It’s a very noticeable difference with mine as it’s a turbo back catless Miltek. If you haven’t already get someone to press the S button while you stand at the rear and listen for he flap moving and a change in exhaust note. If you don’t get these then go through the process of elimination.

You can certainly take it off from the solenoid end to check the valve/solenoid. Just make sure you take the one off that leads to the actuator not the one that comes from the vacuum pump. I would first use a torch or your phone light to look up the exhaust to see if the valve is open or shut while the car is off, if it’s shut then the valve is stuck shut.

The valve is open while the car is off (if it’s not stuck shut but you will have already checked this) so take the hose off while the car is off then start the car and valve should be open and you will hear the difference. Then switch the car off and replace the hose and start the car it should close the valve and sound different (quieter) you could do this wait the car running if you want. This is all for if the solenoid is failed in the closed position. If it’s failed in the open you will get the valve being open all the time regardless if the hose is on or off, this is when you would have to try and function it by hand to see if it’s maybe stuck open, less likely as it’s spends a lot of its life closed. If you can move the valve it has to be the solenoid.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 21 February 2018 - 07:41 AM.

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

If it’s a noticeable metallic click then it sounds like your valve is working. Do you just have a standard exhaust? Maybe it’s not giving a big change in sound open and shut. It’s a very noticeable difference with mine as it’s a turbo back catless Miltek.

If you want to test it then yes, you can certainly take it off from the solenoid end to check the valve/solenoid. Just make sure you take the one off that leads to the actuator not the one that comes from the vacuum pump. I would first use a torch or your phone light to look up the exhaust to see if the valve is open or shut while the car is off, if it’s shut then the valve is stuck shut.

The valve is open while the car is off (if it’s not stuck shut but you will have already checked this) so take the hose off while the car is off then start the car and valve should be open and you will hear the difference. Then switch the car off and replace the hose and start the car it should close the valve and sound different (quieter) you could do this wait the car running if you want. This is all for if the solenoid is failed in the closed position. If it’s failed in the open you will get the valve being open all the time regardless of the hose is on or off.

Ok cool cheers dude thanks. Just one other question does the exhaust blow only out one pipe as mine does with button on or off and if i give some revs or is that cause the car is not moving.

Cheers

Rysn

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.