Photo

Exhaust valve not opening with S button switched on.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
I have noticed my exhaust valve doesn’t seem to open when I press the S button now. I took the vacuum hose off and the valve on exhaust stays open all the time like I would expect. So it would seem the system is drawing a vacuum at all times. I take it the solenoid would be a good place to start?

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Is this on an 8p ?

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Sounds like the symptoms of the typical valve failed. You can try manually forcing the arm up and down but odds are it’s seized. Unfortunately on the 8P it’s not an easy replacement so new catback would be required

Edited by JayRS3, 21 January 2018 - 05:42 PM.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Is this on an 8p ?

It is yes Roy.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
There’s a solenoid in the engine bay.
Maybe worth checking everything.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Sounds like the symptoms of the typical valve failed. You can try manually forcing the arm up and down but odds are it’s seized. Unfortunately on the 8P it’s not an easy replacement so new catback would be required

It’s a Miltek, the valve stays open when I take the vacuum pipe off, as soon as I fit it again it shuts. It is also open for a second or so when I first start up then it closes, not like the 5 or 10 seconds it used to. It’s like it shuts as soon as a vacuum builds up when I start the engine which lead me to think that the solenoid has maybe stuck open allowing vacuum to the actuator all the time.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 21 January 2018 - 06:19 PM.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Without vacuum the flap should be open (so S mode engaged)
c82ba9fd620dfb7571994f8ff6e15237.jpg

Edited by JayRS3, 21 January 2018 - 06:08 PM.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

It is yes Roy.

I had this on my 8p

Audi said its not a serviceable part and exhausts are not covered by warranty , But my local dealer changed it free as a goodwill gesture,,

Probably because I had given them £££££'s in warranty work

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I had this on my 8p

Audi said its not a serviceable part and exhausts are not covered by warranty , But my local dealer changed it free as a goodwill gesture,,

Probably because I had given them £££££'s in warranty work

Roy.

The warranty works not a big money make for the dealer as its at Audi hours & rates for the job.

Unlike service work, that's there bread & butter mate.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 21 January 2018 - 08:12 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Roy.

The warranty works not a big money make for the dealer as its at Audi hours & rates for the job.

Unlike service work, that's there bread & butter mate.

Dell.

Agreed Dell......

I think it’s why a lot of times Dealers can’t be bothered sorting niggles out, because as you say the allowed times and financial reimbursement don’t make it worth their while.
Couple that with any parts sent back must be faulty or Audi won’t pay the dealer.
Crappy from Audi mothership if you ask me...... plus it makes life difficult for us owners when faults arise.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Agreed Dell......

I think it’s why a lot of times Dealers can’t be bothered sorting niggles out, because as you say the allowed times and financial reimbursement don’t make it worth their while.
Couple that with any parts sent back must be faulty or Audi won’t pay the dealer.
Crappy from Audi mothership if you ask me...... plus it makes life difficult for us owners when faults arise.

Absolutely mate !  :(

Dell.

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
Well it seems it may well be the solenoid as I first though and Sean suggested. Parking up this morning and I could here a rattling from the exhaust flap when I was parking up. When I press the brake it rattles for a few seconds then stops, then when I let the brake off it does it again. Must be when the brake servo is drawing vacuum as well!

Ordered a Febi replacement, only £21 so worth a punt.

Edited by MarkMac-RS3, 22 January 2018 - 11:19 AM.

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
Just a quick one I have a standard exhaust on mine, should there be a noticeable difference in the exhaust sound then the sport mode is engaged? Mine seems to just sound the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Just a quick one I have a standard exhaust on mine, should there be a noticeable difference in the exhaust sound then the sport mode is engaged? Mine seems to just sound the same

definitely. Quite common for the standard valve to seize/fail so you may find that yours has done this. Try looking for the valve behind the exhaust tips and moving the valve arm up and down when the car is running. Or get someone in the car and push the button to see if it moves when the S button is pressed

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

definitely. Quite common for the standard valve to seize/fail so you may find that yours has done this. Try looking for the valve behind the exhaust tips and moving the valve arm up and down when the car is running. Or get someone in the car and push the button to see if it moves when the S button is pressed

Will try later mate nice one

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Where about Sam I looking for it is it just behind the tailpipes

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Where about Sam I looking for it is it just behind the tailpipes

Yeah you’ll see the actuator arm that comes off the valve and into the tailpipe grind the tips

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Yeah you’ll see the actuator arm that comes off the valve and into the tailpipe grind the tips

Right I have just had a look, won’t move why the engine is running, doesn’t open in sport mode but when I pull vac pipe off it opens and can move it when engine is off. What do I need to do now?

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Right I have just had a look, won’t move why the engine is running, doesn’t open in sport mode but when I pull vac pipe off it opens and can move it when engine is off. What do I need to do now?

potential solenoid issue which a few members have suffered also. I’m not sure what their findings was or how they resolved this issue but I’d say if the valve opens/ closes with vacuum line on/off the valves healthy.

I think the solenoid is located in the engine bay, let me check drawings for you

tommy354

tommy354

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

potential solenoid issue which a few members have suffered also. I’m not sure what their findings was or how they resolved this issue but I’d say if the valve opens/ closes with vacuum line on/off the valves healthy.

I think the solenoid is located in the engine bay, let me check drawings for you

Nice one pal appreciate it

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.