16 replies to this topic

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Does anyone know if there are any uprated lightweight parts available for the new model like wishbones etc?

Topcat1910

Topcat1910

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Following

deepspacemillar

deepspacemillar

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationBelfast, Northern Ireland
Despite it not being featured as such on the site, superpro told me the lower wishbone kit for Mqb vehicles would work - Aloy006k is the part code if I remember correctly

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Stu,

Is there a part on your RS that you dont want to or are not going to change ?   :)

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Stu,

Is there a part on your RS that you dont want to or are not going to change ?   :)

Stu

I find not taking the girlfriend out in the RS saves 55kgs to the car weight & i dont get an annoying noise from the passenger side off the car  :D

Dell.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Sorry Guys the quote function isn't working for me. :wacko:

Hi Roy, as with the last 5 cars I am buying the RS3 with the intention of keeping it long term and this time I actually think with the new Quattro and engine it might just be the one. Currently I own half the car lol, so the modifications I will be making will not include anything that will invalidate the drivetrain warranty. In 18 months time it will hopefully be paid for so I can look at some serious power upgrades. I guess wheels/tyres, suspension and maybe brakes is not a bad way to start if I am considering a future built engine with turbo. I was really close to buying a full 2.5 drivetrain for my R before joining this site and decided to start with an RS3. :D

Hi deepspacemiller, I had the VWR alloy wishbones on my R but being a Scirocco I am not sure if they were the same as the MBQ platform. Either way it is likely the VWR could supply the right part and it would come with a GMBH racing part certificate. I will enquire about this and come back to you.

Hi RS3Dell, I like you thinking and maybe that was why Thai dating sites were formed. They can weigh even less and are unlikely to complain about anything. ;)

Edited by StuW13, 07 January 2018 - 08:26 PM.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Not sure how much wishbones save in weight but my Ispiri FFR1 in 19x8.5j saved nearly 5kg per corner. You can really feel it in the handling too.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Hi James

I have asked the question and they are looking into it. I will find out on the weight side as well. All I can say is when I changed them the originals must have been twice the weight at a guess.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

Does anyone know if there are any uprated lightweight parts available for the new model like wishbones etc?

A selection of chassis goodies (scroll down) from the well known tuner Iroz Motorsport. Unfortunately they are based in the USA so obtaining parts may get expensive for carriage etc. However, quite a few bits do seem to be 034 motorsport so I think they may be available over this side of the pond too.

http://www.irozmotor...ttrs-rs3-8s-8v/

Edited by Fivepotfan, 09 January 2018 - 11:07 PM.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Hi Fivepotfan

I really like their adjustable drop link end which I agree are a must for lowering your car and would definitely buy then even if I just used lowering springs. My current R has all of these and it makes a huge difference being able to set up the suspension correctly. Most people just throw on a set of lowered shocks and think wow what a difference. That difference is not just noticeable but totally transforming when done right.
The reason lots of companies sell just shocks is they are quick sellers and do make some difference, not to mention the important adjustable ride height.
I’d love to hear from someone who goes the full hog with wishbones, anti lift, poly bushes, mounts etc. If no one has tried engine and gearbox mounts are very effective at stopping the weight transferring front to rear on acceleration and helping balance but motorsport versions are evil. I fitted the full on VW Racing mounts and they were so hard all of the engine vibration came into the cabin. Really helped keeping the downforce on pull away but was too hard to live with. I swapped them for stage 1 mounts which were amazing, with no noticeable movement but OEM comfort. Well OEM if you ignored perminent sport setting suspension and 30s all round. Mind you on a dry day I could pull off under power without the traction light coming on, but around 380hp it was as far as I could go without 4wd, hence being here now :-)

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

Hi Fivepotfan

I really like their adjustable drop link end which I agree are a must for lowering your car and would definitely buy then even if I just used lowering springs. My current R has all of these and it makes a huge difference being able to set up the suspension correctly. Most people just throw on a set of lowered shocks and think wow what a difference. That difference is not just noticeable but totally transforming when done right.
The reason lots of companies sell just shocks is they are quick sellers and do make some difference, not to mention the important adjustable ride height.
I’d love to hear from someone who goes the full hog with wishbones, anti lift, poly bushes, mounts etc. If no one has tried engine and gearbox mounts are very effective at stopping the weight transferring front to rear on acceleration and helping balance but motorsport versions are evil. I fitted the full on VW Racing mounts and they were so hard all of the engine vibration came into the cabin. Really helped keeping the downforce on pull away but was too hard to live with. I swapped them for stage 1 mounts which were amazing, with no noticeable movement but OEM comfort. Well OEM if you ignored perminent sport setting suspension and 30s all round. Mind you on a dry day I could pull off under power without the traction light coming on, but around 380hp it was as far as I could go without 4wd, hence being here now :-)

I only have the 034 Motorsport alloy dogbone insert fitted at the moment. Seems to stop a lot of the movement under braking, acceleration and hard cornering. To my mind the dogbone is a bit of a 'bodge' really as it just fills the void that is molded into the OEM mounting bush, and I would imagine that after some hard use and variations in temperature, the bush will start to wear away and an amount of movement will find it's way back in again.

I did fancy fitting the full motorsport version as it looks to be the proper solution but several people who have tried it also reported the vibration problem that you mentioned.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Hi Fivepotfan

I had the adjustable drop links on my R32 and really liked them. Do you think they are necessary on the RS3 8v if only lowering say 25mm all round?. Not planning on corner weighting or anything?

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Hi James

You don't have to but if you have somewhere decent that can set them up properly with 4 wheel alignment and the works at the same time it will make a noticeable difference. Ask anyone who races what its like to drive a car that is poorly adjusted. It also helps getting power down which the correct weight distribution across the tyre.

I fitted mine along with the other suspension parts and drove it for 2 weeks before it was booked in and was surprised it could get any better. :)

The biggest thing I have found from having suspension correctly set up is the even tyre wear.

Callum66

Callum66

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationMorayshire
Just reviving this to see if anyone has done any suspension bits since January. Any information on changes to a FL car, good or bad, would be interesting.
Panther FL Sportback, HRE FF04 ET 47 8.5x19 + 235 MPS4’s, MSS Street Kit, Storm Forge FMIC, BCS Downpipe & Stage 2 Engine & DSG remap by DH & MRC 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
I fitted the KW adjustable springs in order to keep the mag ride and have nothing bad to report. Driving seems no different to before, although I’ve not really pushed it so the original set up had been ok.

When it’s a year old I might go the full hog and get the lightweight wishbones from VWR which fit MQB platforms I was told, but holding fire on other mods for a while except for the exhaust valve control unit. The rear ARB is on the list as well.

Callum66

Callum66

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationMorayshire
I have an MSS Sport set ready to be fitted but wondered about doing the 034 camber top mounts at the same time. The non-adjustable version that gives just a little more negative camber. I know it's easy to spoil a road car with track suspension parts but doing them at the same time as the springs would make sense if they work & don't create much additional NVH.

Edited by Callum66, 12 May 2018 - 06:06 PM.

Panther FL Sportback, HRE FF04 ET 47 8.5x19 + 235 MPS4’s, MSS Street Kit, Storm Forge FMIC, BCS Downpipe & Stage 2 Engine & DSG remap by DH & MRC 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

invisiblekid

invisiblekid

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

I have an MSS Sport set ready to be fitted but wondered about doing the 034 camber top mounts at the same time. The non-adjustable version that gives just a little more negative camber. I know it's easy to spoil a road car with track suspension parts but doing them at the same time as the springs would make sense if they work & don't create much additional NVH.

When I used adjustable ball joints on my Golf R to add neg camber I just ended up with a little more tyre wear, no NVH at all. I'm going to do the 034 camber mounts and rear ARB. I already have Bilstein B16 coilovers, but really want to go to town and it a great handling set up. The ride quality on the Billies is superb compared to the stock dampers.

RS3 8V FL - bone stock...for now.

RS3 8V - eTuners Stage 3 480hp.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.