Photo

Oil Catch Can

12 replies to this topic

simcla18

simcla18

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi All, anyone running a good, quality and neat oil catch can setup on their 8V, or who can provide recommendations or comment (do they work).

Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

If the engine is blowing out enough oil that you need a catch can then your engine is f***ed.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I know someone who had a VWR catch can on his G7R stage 1.

About a couple of months after he bought it (£450) it had been taken off the car and put up for sale, told me he didn't see any benefit from having it fitted.......and when he showed me the picture of it fitted in the engine bay it looked bloomin awful.

Hal

Hal

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

I think VAG made some redesign on the injector sytem on the EA888 engine used by the G7R that sorted out oil cake build up from PCV once and for all.... so in theory, your friend's Golf would never have benefitted from a catch can - if you believe the boffins!

(btw, I think the VWR set up looks quite good - surprised you think otherwise?)

I have not read anywhere whether or not the same 'redesign' was applied to the 2.5TFSI. I am due to change out my i/c in the next couple of weeks, so might pay particular attention to what oil has accumulated in the tracts...

Edited by Hal, 31 December 2017 - 09:46 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I think VAG made some redesign on the injector sytem on the EA888 engine used by the G7R that sorted out oil cake build up from PCV once and for all.... so in theory, your friend's Golf would never have benefitted from a catch can - if you believe the boffins!

(btw, I think the VWR set up looks quite good - surprised you think otherwise?)

I have not read anywhere whether or not the same 'redesign' was applied to the 2.5TFSI. I am due to change out my i/c in the next couple of weeks, so might pay particular attention to what oil has accumulated in the tracts...

Yes indeed

They've adopted same system on the revised Ali engine too Hal.......hence the engine cover instead of fancy red cam cover.

Re: me not thinking it's looking good, if you take the engine cover off the EA888 it just looks like a whole load of pipes and wiring you can barely make out an engine in there.

Shame Audi did the same on the new Ali engine really, as when you take the RS cover off it's not in any way as 'pretty' to look at because they've gone a similar way with things.

Edited by T-800, 31 December 2017 - 10:23 AM.

Hal

Hal

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Ah, OK, I see where you are coming from. With me, I love large engine covers with big raised letters like AMG plastered across them! I have long given up looking at what all the pipes do these days.

(I did wonder why the new 2.5TFSI had changed its cover. I quite like it!)

So, back to the question - does/might/should the pfl engine need a catch can..?

I hanker after the original Cooper S days when PCV was a pipe out of a tappet cover lightly coating the underfloor, and road, with a nice film of the oily stuff!!

simcla18

simcla18

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Found a helpful document that helps explain how the Crankcase ventilation system work on the 5 Cyl. 2.5 TFSI lump (8P).

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 13.49.35.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 13.50.10.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 13.50.25.png

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Great technical info post :-)

Hal

Hal

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Yes indeed! Dunno where you found it, but it's a good write-up that I will copy and keep in my engine file. (I find it very difficult to find these types of articles on the Audi engine - where are they?

Most manufactyrers only pay lip service to the oil that is pumped out through the PCV - most of them still use what is little more than a canister filled with wire wool! But Audi above do appear to have looked a little deeper by addressing the subject of cleaning the PCV emission. And with the FL engine as T800 says (btw, have you any techy write-ups on the new engine..?) it has dual injection, then the need for a catch can has gone altogether.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Yes indeed! Dunno where you found it, but it's a good write-up that I will copy and keep in my engine file. (I find it very difficult to find these types of articles on the Audi engine - where are they?

Most manufactyrers only pay lip service to the oil that is pumped out through the PCV - most of them still use what is little more than a canister filled with wire wool! But Audi above do appear to have looked a little deeper by addressing the subject of cleaning the PCV emission. And with the FL engine as T800 says (btw, have you any techy write-ups on the new engine..?) it has dual injection, then the need for a catch can has gone altogether.

PFL 2.5 engine SSP

http://www.vaglinks....S_2.5L_TFSI.pdf

Hal

Hal

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Well, bedtime reading tonight is sorted!!

Many thanks - I dont know how I missed this in all the times I have been searching online.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Interestingly enough on the Golf R USA cars don’t get the extra set of indirect injectors.

Hal

Hal

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

I am finding it hard to keep up with the technology changes in engines. I remember the break through in getting an engine to accept direct injection and all its advantages, so I never understood why port injection has come back - I cannot believe the only reason is to cope with emissions and pcv air (?). Are the emissions laws in the US less stringent to the point that the addition of indirect injection is just not necessary? Or maybe it is simply that VW are committed to too many older 888 engines, so they need to be used up in their largest market - or am I being cynical here?!

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.