• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Topcat1910

Topcat1910

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Ladies and Gents

My name is Tim and I am from Liverpool currently living in Manchester. Taken delivery of my RS3 8V about 3 weeks ago wanted to join on here sooner but been up the wall, after 2 days of ownership had 3 men break into the house and chased them off with a bat and the following week later had my van broke into and tools taken!

Previous cars was a 380bhp Mini GP gen 1 which I regret selling which is now in Malta and a stage 2+ Scirocco R.

Will be chasing figures in the RS3 but before I start on that I’d like to pick people brains about suspension and brake set up? Are most people just going for the MSS kit with ARB and RS7 rears and upgraded pads or are there people opting for coilovers and new braking systems?

Edited by Topcat1910, 30 December 2017 - 11:14 PM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire
Welcome Topcat. I’m new here as well and waiting for my RS3 delivery. I still have a Scirocco R till I swap keys with the dealer.

Coil overs all the way for me but brakes I’m not sure on yet. What year is your RS3?

Topcat1910

Topcat1910

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Welcome Topcat. I’m new here as well and waiting for my RS3 delivery. I still have a Scirocco R till I swap keys with the dealer.

Coil overs all the way for me but brakes I’m not sure on yet. What year is your RS3?

Its a 2016 ex demonstrator, actually went in to order a S3 saloon and my mate who worked there talked me into it.

Only thing putting me off coilovers is not alot of people have seemed to go for them and have opted for the MSS kit with an ARB. The other thing is KW dont do a plug and play DDC kit like they do for the Scirocco

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Its a 2016 ex demonstrator, actually went in to order a S3 saloon and my mate who worked there talked me into it.

Only thing putting me off coilovers is not alot of people have seemed to go for them and have opted for the MSS kit with an ARB. The other thing is KW dont do a plug and play DDC kit like they do for the Scirocco

MSS kit is superb especially with the H&R rear anti roll bar

If you contact MSS and speak to William he was giving a discount for RS3OC members, worth a phone call/Email, if you don't ask you don't receive .

Edited by T-800, 31 December 2017 - 07:34 AM.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Not wanting to go against any experienced owners views on here I can only state the mag ride on my Scirocco R was no way close on handling to the VW Racing coil over set up. I had antilift and Lightweight wishbones and full adjustability top & bottom, which gives perfect geometry from being lowered, which all race cars do as a standa4d set up. I had a plug in unit for each shock to stop the button flashing inside. There was no way for suspension changes from inside but the button still changed the steering and throttle response. Having done some track testing I can say the hardest settings did not give the best results and you would be surprised how comfortable it could be set at due to the geometry being spot on.

For me I will go coil over when the warranty is out and will speak to the dealer to see if they will except lowering springs beforehand. If they don’t allow anything I will find out what would b3 void on the warranty as I heard by law they can’t void parts which are nothing to do with non standard parts like engine and brakes.

Topcat1910

Topcat1910

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Not wanting to go against any experienced owners views on here I can only state the mag ride on my Scirocco R was no way close on handling to the VW Racing coil over set up. I had antilift and Lightweight wishbones and full adjustability top & bottom, which gives perfect geometry from being lowered, which all race cars do as a standa4d set up. I had a plug in unit for each shock to stop the button flashing inside. There was no way for suspension changes from inside but the button still changed the steering and throttle response. Having done some track testing I can say the hardest settings did not give the best results and you would be surprised how comfortable it could be set at due to the geometry being spot on.

For me I will go coil over when the warranty is out and will speak to the dealer to see if they will except lowering springs beforehand. If they don’t allow anything I will find out what would b3 void on the warranty as I heard by law they can’t void parts which are nothing to do with non standard parts like engine and brakes.

Sounds like yours was set up better than mine I just had the alloy wishbones and DDC was perfect for what I needed as never planned on tracking it.

Where are you from? The dealership I used don’t mind mods

Topcat1910

Topcat1910

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

MSS kit is superb especially with the H&R rear anti roll bar

If you contact MSS and speak to William he was giving a discount for RS3OC members, worth a phone call/Email, if you don't ask you don't receive .

Sorry only just noticed this reply. Like stated I have always been a coilover fan bit seeing the amount of positive feedback on the MSS kit I think I will have to give them ago! Price seems steep for springs but I guess they are in the middle of springs and coilovers

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
I changed the brakes to AP Racing front and back. Much better then OE imho although most seem happy to leave the rears alone.

TX.

Ps tell us more about the mini. I'm a big fan of the GP.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Edited by terminator x, 31 December 2017 - 11:55 AM.

Nardo RS4

Topcat1910

Topcat1910

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I changed the brakes to AP Racing front and back. Much better then OE imho although most seem happy to leave the rears alone.

TX.

Ps tell us more about the mini. I'm a big fan of the GP.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply my sister had a copy to hand of the first magazine feature I had before all the engine work got done. I will dig out my last mag feature later.

75a9e14fca69d4cb24b9b7b0636a4e8a.jpeg2b83d5a30e02a11fe9225fd3f07645a9.jpegcc65b5f5b08abbaeb1f17d31e9f52b57.jpegcaf088f647bb0c0e3ed0ecdcdd04ec18.jpeg51a357984f8a22b723fb3eb6fd7c52e3.jpeg7feeea5c3fece4cd8d39afa7a22e5196.jpeg

JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

I went with Ferodo DS Performance pads for the front, and DS2500 for the rear. That's my brakes fixed for less than £250. Search this forum as T-800 has posted details of a dealer who does them at a good price. (RS7 rear discs are heavier than OEM.) 

Keep the mag ride, it really is very good. I have tried with H&R springs and now running in the MSS. I have the rear ARB and I can tell you that the MSS are impressive so far at OEM height.

I have the Ispiri FFR1 wheels which are 5kg lighter than the oem rotors. Good unsprung weight saving.

drgav2005

drgav2005

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Welcome Tim. Sorry to hear about the break-in and nicked tools. Loving the mini - looks epic! Enjoy the RS3  :D

SeanB

SeanB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationOop north
Welcome fella. I've just joined myself, hoping to order later in the year :) Love the mini!

Dreaming of a Merlin purple RS3 with all the trimmings :)

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.