Photo

I am giving up. Looks like these cars are only reliable for a short time.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Danw

Danw

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
Bloody hell mate that engine must of had a extremely hard life. 🤞🤞crossed for you fella.

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow
Wow that piston is bad. Hope you get satisfaction from warranty as that just shouldn't happen over such a short period, almost regardless of abuse. Modern engines have so many safeguards built in its really difficult to trash them like you could in the past. Have you checked for over-revs etc. like Porsche do?. Sorry if that's a silly question but it's all I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Yip from the looks of it ... it would look as if the engine was abused ... I have not abused the car as I am the second owner, i am not going to finger point but it does seem as if the previous owner/s stuffed up the car, so far the stuff replaced points to an abused car.

Flywheel at 30000km, Rear diff at 59000km and now the engine .... what is next and the fact that the pistons are wobbling around in the sleeves tell's me this poor car was not well looked after .... either that or it's a defect parts.

If i did abuse the car i would own up but i have been a royal pain in the butt with this car and took it in for everything and never missed a service or even go over the km's.

Edited by Jacques_RS3, 05 September 2017 - 06:50 AM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Yip from the looks of it ... it would look as if the engine was abused ... I have not abused the car as I am the second owner, i am not going to finger point but it does seem as if the previous owner/s stuffed up the car, so far the stuff replaced points to an abused car.

Flywheel at 30000km, Rear diff at 59000km and now the engine .... what is next and the fact that the pistons are wobbling around in the sleeves tell's me this poor car was not well looked after .... either that or it's a defect ... there is a brand new one standing in the shop with number 3 piston gone, but that one is played with.

If i did abuse the car i would own up but i have been a royal pain in the butt with this car and took it in for everything and never missed a service or even go over the km's.

I do feel for you jacques_RS3

Looks like you are picking up the pieces of an abused car, which unfortunately with these motors you are always more than likely too, once you start buying a used example, you’ve just no idea how the car has been treated by the first / second owner.........

I only hope that there is a warranty in place that will cover repairs and you can still enjoy the car at some point.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

Detonation would break the ring lands as in the photo. Bad fuel?,too much timing? ,too much boost?.The ECU should have safeguards against this but if a sensor is broken ????

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Detonation would break the ring lands as in the photo. Bad fuel?,too much timing? ,too much boost?.The ECU should have safeguards against this but if a sensor is broken ????

Too much fiddling by a previous owner ??

Who knows.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
The head atleast looks fine :)

20170904_104327.jpg

I will try to get more pics of engine

20170904_104449.jpg

I just need to find out the cause and then make sure that this gets sorted so it does not happen again.

ily.r

ily.r

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Sorry bro. Where are u based as im also from SA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bobski

Bobski

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

The head atleast looks fine :)

20170904_104327.jpg

I will try to get more pics of engine

20170904_104449.jpg

I just need to find out the cause and then make sure that this gets sorted so it does not happen again.

Is it the gudgeon pins that are loose? Had same problem with mine and Audi replaced the whole lot. Audi claimed they had never seen a rs 5 pot have that issue but it's looking like you have the same issue apart from mine hadn't got too blown piston point.

Edited by Bobski, 05 September 2017 - 01:00 PM.

Kenny

Kenny

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Sorry mate  :(

What is the mileage of the car/engine?

At what kms has it been serviced in the past?

Long life service?

2018 RS3 SB. Mythos black. 

Pre: 2013 Audi RS3. Misano red/Alu.

@steelcraftnbeauty on instagram. RS3 pics and custom steel projects.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Car is on 73000km's been serviced and always followed the service interval as indicated by the car, Km's or time which ever came first.

If Audi used correct OIL , I would not know, if they actually did a service and not just top up OIL , that I will not know.

Edited by Jacques_RS3, 05 September 2017 - 06:47 AM.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Hi I am based in Westrand Krugersdorp area.

ily.r

ily.r

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Hi I am based in Westrand Krugersdorp area.

Im from Durban.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Ok guys so some good news, warranty going to pay for about R71000 out of the R92000. I am in for about R21000 still fighting with them as the Policy says unlimited but they not paying for some of the stuff like some bolts and seals.

Now while that is sorted i have a question for the experts or anyone that knows. The dealers sys the sleeve is fine that got damaged, but i don't agree as a normal hone job won't fix that as you can feel it. It's slighty there but you can feel it, and then if they rebore will there be oversized oem pistons for this car. My gut feel says no.

20170904_111849_1.jpg

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

If you feel a ridge then honing to get rid of it will give too much clearance. Even an extra 0.002" will be way too much.As far as I`m aware Audi don`t do oversize pistons. A good machine shop however will be able to fit a thin wall sleeve I would have thought. It depends on the wall thickness.You could have that cylinder wall ultrasonically tested for thickness. If it`s too thin then it`s a rebore with aftermarket oversize pistons or a new block.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Jacques_RS3

Jacques_RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
This is what i thought as well. And from what i have read up honing in itself will take of material. I am slightly concerned because the tech said ag it's still fine because you can see the original hone marks over those lines. I was like are you kidding me because you can feel those lines when you run your finger over it.

He says they will refit pistons but you will have to hone or lets say deglaze the sleeves for that matter to ensure that the new rings bed in properly..... or so i thought ?

I am not going to allow these guys to just put in new pistons without touching the block.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.
It's a shame our cars don't run wet liners as it would just be the case off replacing it job done !

If you can feel the score marks when they refit new piston & rings it will lose compression & burn oil which is no good ☹

So what are they thinking !

Dell.

ily.r

ily.r

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I spoke to well experienced mechanic. Piston 1 and 3 can be an issue if the wrong oil is used. Also as a precaution for us all we need to use a stronger coolant like water wetter and motul inulgel. If the engine is cool these piston rings wont give in and also after a hard drive, cruise for a bit then park the car off.

ily.r

ily.r

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I spoke to well experienced mechanic. Piston 1 and 3 can be an issue if the wrong oil is used. Also as a precaution for us all we need to use a stronger coolant like water wetter and motul inulgel. If the engine is cool these piston rings wont give in and also after a hard drive, cruise for a bit then park the car off.

Another good oil additive is LiquiMoly Ceratec. It reduces friction and along with LiquiMoly oil it works perfect.

Bobski

Bobski

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
As far as I am aware you can go 0.5mm oversize on the pistons with a reborn.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.