30 replies to this topic

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationMiddle England.

I have been helping a friend try to find a VW Golf Clubsport S (recently moved back from NYC so clueless about how things work over here). This is a premium vw product and a special car too. The arrogance, contempt and laissez faire attitude of EVERY SINGLE VW dealer we have spoken to has put me off ever buying any Volkswagen and he too has come to this conclusion.

No finance, no P/X cash purchase you would have thought dealers would be keen to do business.  One dealer even told him if he took a deposit over the phone then it was binding despite not seeing the car and what is also a clear breach of the distance selling regulations (clearly they back tracked when told what they were saying was in breach of the law) Crewe VW you are named and shamed.

If the sales service is that bad imagine what servicing is like.

Shivers are going down my spine now for T800!

This is why today the friend I have been helping put down a deposit on a 981 Cayman S.

Nice one VW. Lesson learnt I will stick to your big brother even if Audi leave a lot to be desired.

Edited by coxeterj, 04 August 2017 - 06:56 PM.

Current cars: Audi RS3 8V and BMW M235i convertible.

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

D19NL B

D19NL B

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

I have been helping a friend try to find a VW Golf Clubsport S (recently moved back from NYC so clueless about how things work over here). This is a premium vw product and a special car too. The arrogance, contempt and laissez faire attitude of EVERY SINGLE VW dealer we have spoken to has put me off ever buying any Volkswagen and he too has come to this conclusion.

No finance, no P/X cash purchase you would have thought dealers would be keen to do business. One dealer even told him if he took a deposit over the phone then it was binding despite not seeing the car and what is also a clear breach of the distance selling regulations (clearly they back tracked when told what they were saying was in breach of the law) Crewe VW you are named and shamed.

This is why today the friend I have been helping put down a deposit on a 981 Cayman S.

Nice one VW. Lesson learnt I will stick to your big brother even if Audi leave a lot to be desired.

Not good, out of interest, why put that on here? Have you posted that up on vw forum as well or?

I just remembered that i'm absent minded, wait, i mean i lost my mind i can't find it.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Not good, out of interest, why put that on here? Have you posted that up on vw forum as well or?

I put it in the other marque bit as it is another marque.........

Edited by coxeterj, 04 August 2017 - 08:13 PM.

Gone but not forgotten: BMW M135i, Audi S3 8P, Gen 2 Mini Cooper JCW, Gen 2 Mini Cooper S, Alfa Romeo Spider V6, Mk5 Golf R32, Honda Civic Type R FN2, Ford Focus ST, Honda Civic Type R EP3.

D19NL B

D19NL B

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

I put it in the other marque bit as it is another marque.........

My bad.

Least you got the Porsche!

I just remembered that i'm absent minded, wait, i mean i lost my mind i can't find it.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

No finance, no P/X cash purchase you would have thought dealers would be keen to do business. One dealer even told him if he took a deposit over the phone then it was binding despite not seeing the car and what is also a clear breach of the distance selling regulations (clearly they back tracked when told what they were saying was in breach of the law) Crewe VW you are named and shamed.

No issue here with the VW dealer we used, saying that, they weren't local anyway......

I do know what you mean about Crewe though, nearly bought a Turmeric Yellow one off them, however they just couldn't put together a good enough deal on it......

As for comparisons with Audi dealers I personally don't think there's much difference to be honest.... been in some shoddy Audi dealers during RS3 ownership...never again.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

No issue here with the VW dealer we used, saying that, they weren't local anyway......

I do know what you mean about Crewe though, nearly bought a Turmeric Yellow one off them, however they just couldn't put together a good enough deal on it......

As for comparisons with Audi dealers I personally don't think there's much difference to be honest.... been in some shoddy Audi dealers during RS3 ownership...never again.

Buying cars is becoming so unpleasant it puts me off changing. I used to change annually now I'm tempted to change every 3 to 5 years.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Buying cars is becoming so unpleasant it puts me off changing. I used to change annually now I'm tempted to change every 3 to 5 years.

Agreed.....

Although buying the R was quite painless I found.
Got what I wanted for the RS on the Friday....... picked up the R on Saturday afternoon.

Happy days......

Saying that though, for me buying is the good part, servicing and warranty bullshit I cannot abide.

Edited by T-800, 04 August 2017 - 08:25 PM.

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
My car prior to the RS3 was an 8v S3.

Before ordering the S3 I had extended unaccompanied test drives in an S3 and a Golf R.

The R was without doubt a better sounding, better handling car, but the interior of the S3 was significantly superior and if I'm brutally honest I preferred the Audi badge. However, I could have been swayed with the right deal.

The point is, after returning the R to the dealer the salesman had left for the day, but made absolutely no effort to follow things up and pursue a sale thereafter.

So I thought if VW can't be bothered to follow up a potential sale what the hell is the after sales service going to be like?

Edited by Comfortably Numb, 04 August 2017 - 09:23 PM.

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

My car prior to the RS3 was an 8v S3.

Before ordering the S3 I had extended unaccompanied test drives in an S3 and a Golf R.

The R was without doubt a better sounding, better handling car, but the interior of the S3 was significantly superior and if I'm brutally honest I preferred the Audi badge. However, I could have been swayed with the right deal.

The point is, after returning the R to the dealer the salesman had left for the day, but made absolutely no effort to follow things up and pursue a sale thereafter.

So I thought if VW can't be bothered to follow up a potential sale what the hell is the after sales service going to be like?

I genuinely think you would get better customer service from Ford or Vauxhall than VW. Theres an arrogance and smugness about the staff which I just don't quite get. It is after all the peoples car... and the brand was established by Hitler.

On that note....

T800 drives a Panzer.

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

I genuinely think you would get better customer service from Ford or Vauxhall than VW. Theres an arrogance and smugness about the staff which I just don't quite get. It is after all the peoples car... and the brand was established by Hitler.

On that note....

T800 drives a Panzer.

I totally agree, smugness and arrogance pretty much sums them up. Treating customers fairly and with respect appears to be a things of the past.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage

Not sure it's just VW tbh, i'm a bit miffed as my dealer was all over me like a rash last weekend when he had an S4 sat in the showroom with a month end car sales figure to hit....  Come two days later when it had sold and i was talking about factory orders his interest levels dwindled to the point of not being interested in the sale.

He even suggested i shouldn't buy an RS3 and proceeded with the scaremongering doors being kicked in for nice cars stories! 

Considering going elsewhere despite having been a loyal customer buying RS models for the last 8 years at least. 

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

On that note....

T800 drives a Panzer.

Indeed i do........although they don't seem to have added the MK7/7.5 to the list yet :D

Attached File  48242-004-61E914DD.jpg   72.21K   14 downloads

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Not sure it's just VW tbh, i'm a bit miffed as my dealer was all over me like a rash last weekend when he had an S4 sat in the showroom with a month end car sales figure to hit.... Come two days later when it had sold and i was talking about factory orders his interest levels dwindled to the point of not being interested in the sale.

He even suggested i shouldn't buy an RS3 and proceeded with the scaremongering doors being kicked in for nice cars stories!

Considering going elsewhere despite having been a loyal customer buying RS models for the last 8 years at least.

Unbelievable - actually trying to discourage you from buying a new car is just mind boggling.

I agree though, this apathetic attidude isn't restricted to VW or Audi. Before buying an RS4 many years ago I tried to arrange a test drive in an EVO X. I phoned and emailed the local dealer 3 or 4 times, not once did they get back to me.

Turned out well though because I still think the B7 RS4 is the best car I've ever owned and that includes my RS3 and 911's.

Edited by Comfortably Numb, 05 August 2017 - 08:39 AM.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage

Yep i figured because they had physical cars they needed to shift before the end of the month that was more important.

I once visited BMW to buy a Z4 3ltr from memory to be told i didn't need that sized engine as it was too powerful and that i should look at the 2.0ltr version.  Turned out they had four 2ltrs sat there funnily enough..... needless to say i walked out. 

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Indeed i do........although they don't seem to have added the MK7/7.5 to the list yet :D

attachicon.gif48242-004-61E914DD.jpg

Looks like I'm getting ahead of myself.....

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Unbelievable - actually trying to discourage you from buying a new car is just mind boggling.

I agree though, this apathetic attidude isn't restricted to VW or Audi. Before buying an RS4 many years ago I tried to arrange a test drive in an EVO X. I phoned and emailed the local dealer 3 or 4 times, not once did they get back to me.

Turned out well though because I still think the B7 RS4 is the best car I've ever owned and that includes my RS3 and 911's.

Are salesmen paid too well now? Do they need to be made to go hungry to offer BASIC customer service?

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Looks like I'm getting ahead of myself.....

It's the Audi / Apple launch syndrome

Give the public what they cannot have

coxeterj

coxeterj

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

It's the Audi / Apple launch syndrome

Give the public what they cannot have

I want the MK 7.5 Panzer. Love the MK1 Panzer.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

I want the MK 7.5 Panzer. Love the MK1 Panzer.

I'm sorry but the stock of 7.5 has sold out Sir.

You'll have to wait 6 months.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Its not just Audi, going back a few years ,,,

I sold a Audi 80 soft top an old R reg years ago and ordered a new S reg C class merc .

Before the car was delivered the salesman was ringing me twice a week to see if all was ok and could he lend me a car because I had sold mine in readiness for the new car.

Took delivery of the car all was good , about three weeks later I decided I wanted some mudflaps for the car so back I went to the dealership to

order/ buy some the salesman walked straight passed me and didnt even acknowledge me so I felt really pissed off that one he had got the sale he could not give a stuff .

Fast forward six months ,

I happened to to write off the new merc,,,,,,,, through no fault of my own only to find out I had new for old on a new car for a year on my policy

So back I went to the Merc dealer , sat at his desk and proceeded to tell him that I needed a new car same as the old on the insurance for a

£32k replacement all of a sudden he was my best mate again and could not do enough for me,

But I conveniently forgotten to tell him I had  a CLK on order from germany (when you could save a ton of money back then by importing your own car )

He must have rung me 10 times to say my car was ordered but I never went back,,,

That showed him !   :P

Edited by Roy, 06 August 2017 - 03:18 PM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.