40 replies to this topic

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.
I'm running the B14 set up with a 034 ARB but as Jay has said if you spend a little bit more you will have much more adjustability.
I just replaced the front top mount bearings as the mount it self don't really wear !

Edited by RS3Dell, 10 July 2017 - 01:19 PM.

looch

looch

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
The car is now sitting on Bilstein B14's, new Top mounts (OEM rear & 034 fronts) new OEM ball joints (front) and White Line Drop Links (Front & Rear)

It's better than new. Solid, planted but comfier and much less crashy!

RS3 8P - Daytona Grey - Stage 2+ - 430hp - DSG Map - Turbo Back Milltek Exhaust - Wagner v3 Intercooler - 034 Motorsport Intake - 034 Motorsport ARB - 034 Motorsport Dogbone insert - 034 Motorsport Top Mounts - Bilstein B14 Coilovers 

Nillamb

Nillamb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I hate the standard suspension as it just so uncomfortable .... so .. what do people recommend for road use ?

I've seen that the B14s seem to be a popular choice - so would these fit my requirements do you think ... or ... does anyone have any experience of any other good solutions ?

Thanks all.

As someone who is also struggling with the uncompromising stock suspension (your post could have been my post - I also don't want to go lower!), I'm very interested to see if you made the jump to B14's (or 16's) and if so, what you made of them.  I see conflicting information on going to coilovers, with some reporting improved comfort but the majority saying the ride is firmer.  I would really more compliance in the suspension.

All I would add is that Awesome recommended the KW V3's.

Edited by Nillamb, 02 August 2017 - 10:11 AM.

looch

looch

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

KW V3 are great but HARSH!

B14's are a great improvement over OEM...you have to accept that there has to be a compromise between comfort & firmness. Yes the B14s are firmer and going over normal roads at normal speeds, you do feel the firmness but the B14's actually reduce the crashiness and thus are more comfier IMO

Hope that helps

RS3 8P - Daytona Grey - Stage 2+ - 430hp - DSG Map - Turbo Back Milltek Exhaust - Wagner v3 Intercooler - 034 Motorsport Intake - 034 Motorsport ARB - 034 Motorsport Dogbone insert - 034 Motorsport Top Mounts - Bilstein B14 Coilovers 

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

As someone who is also struggling with the uncompromising stock suspension (your post could have been my post - I also don't want to go lower!), I'm very interested to see if you made the jump to B14's (or 16's) and if so, what you made of them.  I see conflicting information on going to coilovers, with some reporting improved comfort but the majority saying the ride is firmer.  I would really more compliance in the suspension.

The real problem with the stock suspension is the springs are too hard & the dampers are way too soft & don't match the springs

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Ive had a rear OEM spring break at 22k so i wanted a better quality springs/dampens

I was looking for a more compliance ride & drop the front 25mm but keeping the rear standard ride height & ive used Eibech in the past with good results  :)

But Eibach only do fronts springs for the RS3 8P.So i looked at making up my own kit using 2lt TFSI Quattro rears & Bilstein B8 shocks.

I spoke to Eibech UK they gave me the part No for the front RS3 springs & TFSI rears,i ordered Bilstein Quattro shocks but then found after a dry build the front struts 25mm are too long for the Eibech springs our RSs are quite low !  :D

I then spoke to Bilstein who were helpful & said they could shorten the front shocks by the 25mm required which they did.

When i fitted the Eibech rears i found the car sat 10mm higher than standard  :(

I gave up on that project & fitted B14 with the ride height as i wanted but the are very firm around town & good dampening at speed  :D

The front spings ive now sold & have the Bilsteins B8s on Ebay with the Eibach TFSI Quattro rear spings  :D

Hope this is of help mate.

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 02 August 2017 - 06:10 PM.

Chr1sB

Chr1sB

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

As someone who is also struggling with the uncompromising stock suspension (your post could have been my post - I also don't want to go lower!), I'm very interested to see if you made the jump to B14's (or 16's) and if so, what you made of them. I see conflicting information on going to coilovers, with some reporting improved comfort but the majority saying the ride is firmer. I would really more compliance in the suspension.

I've not done anything yet as alas have other priorities at the moment.

I have made the decision to go with the B16s though if I do upgrade as it appears they are the ones that you can 'soften' the ride on.

Enjoy the car though .. even if it is a little stiff at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

I've not done anything yet as alas have other priorities at the moment.

I have made the decision to go with the B16s though if I do upgrade as it appears they are the ones that you can 'soften' the ride on.

Enjoy the car though .. even if it is a little stiff at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't go wrong with the B16's, firmer than stock but no crashiness and find your sweet spot in the height and ride adjustments

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

sawda

sawda

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationNorth London
Been consideri g b16s or kw v3 perhaos with the ddc option. Seems like the RS3 is staying with us some time as wife dosnt want anythimg else out there including the latest RS3. Since the car is now used to ferry the kids around in the would love the flexabilty of a softer ride l, but then switch ot up if I fancy the odd track day. Never considered air ride before as i thought i was all show and no go, but doing a bit of reading it appears that that technologhy has moved. Anyone running airride at the moment? Interested in your guys opinions on various set ups as its an exoensive thing to get wrong!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Been consideri g b16s or kw v3 perhaos with the ddc option. Seems like the RS3 is staying with us some time as wife dosnt want anythimg else out there including the latest RS3. Since the car is now used to ferry the kids around in the would love the flexabilty of a softer ride l, but then switch ot up if I fancy the odd track day. Never considered air ride before as i thought i was all show and no go, but doing a bit of reading it appears that that technologhy has moved. Anyone running airride at the moment? Interested in your guys opinions on various set ups as its an exoensive thing to get wrong!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hi sawda

You cant go wrong with the Bilstein B14s or B16s  :)

B14s for price but non adjustable damping,B16s all singing & dancing damping adjustment & both with a good range of ride height  :)

Dell.

cimaturf

cimaturf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Sorry to re open this thread but has anyone ever tried the Ohlins equivalent?

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Sorry to re open this thread but has anyone ever tried the Ohlins equivalent?

Used Ohlins in the past on motor bikes would love to fit them on the RS but the cost stops me.

Dell.

cimaturf

cimaturf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If I could just get the ride a bit more comfortable I think I could keep it a long time. On standard set up it’s so harsh on a typical British b road

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

If I could just get the ride a bit more comfortable I think I could keep it a long time. On standard set up it’s so harsh on a typical British b road

On the 8P the springs are too hard & the dampers too soft 🥴

Dell.

MB RS3

MB RS3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationKent

What's the overall comparison/thoughts on comfort and handling for the B14's vs OEM set up? 

OEM is very crashy imo - feels more harsh than the KW V1's on my Golf R previously. 

Thinking of B14's in the near future. 

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

What's the overall comparison/thoughts on comfort and handling for the B14's vs OEM set up? 

OEM is very crashy imo - feels more harsh than the KW V1's on my Golf R previously. 

Thinking of B14's in the near future. 

Not crashy with better comfort in town light years difference at speed & more precise handling with a upgraded rear anti roll bar.....sorted 👍

Dell.

cimaturf

cimaturf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Can anyone recommend a good garage to have the bilsteins fitted in the Cheshire/Derbyshire area?

Legoless

Legoless

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Does anyone know if MSS provides TUV certificate, for their springs to be legal in Germany and EU?

Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

The MSS setup uses Eibach springs as far as I know.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

MSS springs are made for them by Eilbach.

Tbh your better off using the Eilbach Pro or the slightly low StreetLine springs.

Dell.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.