JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Just a quick one...

Am I right in saying that the vacuum is pulled during non sport mode on the exhaust valve and releases the vacuum when the "S" button is pushed?

So if I was to pull off the vacuum hose it would leave the flap half open (sports mode effectively)?

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire
Hiya mate, yeah this is correct, I've recently bought an RS3 and thought the sports mode and the non sports mode sounded the same and the vacuum hose had been pulled off, I've plugged it back in now and it is a nice feeling knowing I can choose now. However the flap does rattle ever so slighty at low revs so that's probably why they took it off. Also from what I can tell the only way the sports button increases the throttle response is by opening that valve and releasing that power quicker, also I can't really feel any difference in the steering which I'm told is meant to go stiffer.

Does anybody know any cure to stop the rattle on the valve other than disconnect it, surely there must be some kind of spring on the actuator arm of the valve, can we not replace that?

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
Thanks for confirming.

Don't think it's a spring mate, purely an arm connected to the actuator and the other end on the flap arm.
48fc37600e498a28625b60988f80c6a2.jpg
b631e28c6bd8eab4759845c1a84388fd.jpg

Maybe it's flapping because the arm from the valve has gone loose, so there's no tension (to keep it silent). Try replacing that.

Edited by JayRS3, 14 March 2017 - 08:23 PM.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
My MK1 had a rattle on the exhaust valves.....

Macclesfield Audi replaced it under warranty as they said no parts could be ordered separately.....

They replaced the whole rear setup.

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire

Thanks for confirming.
Don't think it's a spring mate, purely an arm connected to the actuator and the other end on the flap arm. 48fc37600e498a28625b60988f80c6a2.jpgb631e28c6bd8eab4759845c1a84388fd.jpg
Maybe it's flapping because the arm from the valve has gone loose, so there's no tension (to keep it silent). Try replacing that.

I'll be honest when I had my car on the ramp on Saturday my valve looks completely different to the ones in your picture, is this a miltek or something like that?
It isonly a slight rattle and I only heard it because it was at idle in the multi storey at merryhill shopping centre.
From what I could see, the arm for the arm comes out the bottom of the valve sort of like a piston almost, I assumed the spring must be inside there to put pressure on it so that it stays down / open when there is no boost.
Perhaps I'll go about changing the vacuum hose first, make sure this isn't blocked up as it wasn't bunged up when I found it dangling or maybe it could have a small hose in it and is loosing pressure.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Attached File  IMG_1966.JPG   59.6K   14 downloads

Standard flap valve looks like this.

Solarwoody

Solarwoody

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHerefordshire

IMG_1966.JPG

Standard flap valve looks like this.

Yes that's how mine is

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

I'll be honest when I had my car on the ramp on Saturday my valve looks completely different to the ones in your picture, is this a miltek or something like that?
It isonly a slight rattle and I only heard it because it was at idle in the multi storey at merryhill shopping centre.
From what I could see, the arm for the arm comes out the bottom of the valve sort of like a piston almost, I assumed the spring must be inside there to put pressure on it so that it stays down / open when there is no boost.
Perhaps I'll go about changing the vacuum hose first, make sure this isn't blocked up as it wasn't bunged up when I found it dangling or maybe it could have a small hose in it and is loosing pressure.

Yes aftermarket mate. I've got my original back box for sale if you need to replace it should the flap annoy you.

Renga

Renga

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSweden

If tou pull off and zip tie the vacuumline = Sport mode flap open all the time

MarkMac-RS3

MarkMac-RS3

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
A question on the valve, I’m sure mine used to stay open during the initial car warm up. Ever since I replaced the solenoid it’s shuts straight away. Is this maybe due to the new solenoid?

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

It should open initially for about 20 seconds then close.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

It should open initially for about 20 seconds then close.

Yes Neil you are correct on that mate.👍

Dell.

RS3_NZ

RS3_NZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mine sounds loud on initial startup for about 20/30 seconds and then calms down.

After that I can’t seem to notice a change when the SPORTS button is pressed.

How do I go about removing this valve so it sounds a bit louder all the time?

BTW it’s a 8P!

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Mine sounds loud on initial startup for about 20/30 seconds and then calms down.

After that I can’t seem to notice a change when the SPORTS button is pressed.

How do I go about removing this valve so it sounds a bit louder all the time?

BTW it’s a 8P!

If your running a stock exhaust then just get your head under the exhaust a pull off (tape up the end) the vacuum hose that pushes onto the valve which will mean the exhaust will stay permanently open. Under normal conditions the valve is closed, when the S button is pressed then the valve opens. The vacuum keeps the valve closed (normal conditions) no vacuum will be sports mode.

Here’s an example of my aftermarket system but the same principle applied

025817c9c36fb4dbe2a667f2da2c28e4.jpg666f732f95edcdd830a8cc6b0e150af1.jpg

If you still have no change any noise then you may have a faulty solenoid which is a replaceable part. Or your valve is seized, see if you can move it physically when when you remove the hose.

Edited by JayRS3, 12 July 2018 - 01:39 AM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.