• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Alex_m

Alex_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSweden

Have unfortunately sold back my RS3 sportback and are now looking for a new car ...

but have not really found one that I want.

Missing the engine and the pop and bangs. Maybe I'll give it a second chance ...

I´m interesting in RS3 saloon, I have always thought saloon has finer profile but wonder if the trunk is bigger than the Sportback? Given that it is 15 cm longer so it should be larger. Perhaps same size as S3 saloon trunk? Have seen a s3 trunk and I think it´s quite ok. Well not practical as Sportback but bigger space... Do you guys think I can compare RS3 saloon trunk will have same size as S3 saloon trunk?

Is there a difference of the quattro drivetrain S3 and RS3?

kalexan

kalexan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

RS3 Sportback has a smaller boot than its S3 equivalent as they had to put the battery in that area due to the engine being too big to fit it at the front... plus it removes weight from the front and moves it over the rear axle.... guess they will do the same with the saloon too?

Tippytoes

Tippytoes

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEast Sussex

Will saloon have fold down back seats to extend boot space? If not then lost advantage of sportback.

Alex_m

Alex_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSweden

@kalexan - you have right about the battery, RS sportback have the battery on the rear... saw a clip from youtube now. same solution for the RS saloon... so it´s probably little smaller than S3 saloon...Hope not to much...

attached a screen dump from the clip.

Skarmavbild_1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....bild_1.jpg?dl=0

Skarmavbild_2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....bild_2.jpg?dl=0

@Tipptoes - From the youtube clip it´s seems you can fold down back seats. you can see the back seats light leather through the trunk. forwad to  1.29 min.  

Here is those two youtube clip links

Edited by Alex_m, 11 March 2017 - 03:17 PM.

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

'Distinctly uninspiring' is the kindest comment I can muster on that I'm afraid

Alex_m

Alex_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSweden

I agree that guy sounds tired... I could not find another video with the RS3 trunk...

I found some more technical information about the RS saloon. 

You can download the sheet on Audi media press site: https://www.audi-med...s-3-sedan-6821 

RS saloon trunk is only 315 liters ... Sportback has 280 liters. So 35 liters more ... does not sound like much. If I remember right I think S3 saloon has 365 liters ...

The strange thing I have noticed is that there are different in English and Swedish or another country as it depends on how they measure out the space ..

Edited by Alex_m, 11 March 2017 - 09:01 PM.

C.B

C.B

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLancashire

I seem to remember reading there is also more rear leg room in the a3 saloon than sportback so I would imagine thats the same in the RS

Alex_m

Alex_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSweden

@C.B - I think the Wheelbase it´s the same.

I found the latest review RS3 saloon from http://www.honestjoh...017-road-test/?

They took a photo of the boot/trunk... it´s seems to be quite ok space. I can se the height of the boot it is little shorter than A3 quattro saloon.

Audi~RS3~400~2017~sedan~load.jpg

Tippytoes

Tippytoes

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEast Sussex

Alex_m - not so sure if the back seats fold down - it looks more like that just the central bit folds down for skis, which doesn't have the same flexibility?

Alex_m

Alex_m

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSweden

@Tippytoes - From the technical data sheet where it says that it can fold down if I understand correctly. 

In unfold it has 315 liters and with fold it has 770 liters...

Luggage capacity / with rear seat bench folded in l (cu ft)

315 (11.1) / 770 (27.2) 

it would be strange if RS3 saloon can´t fold down but on RS3 sportback you can...Can´t be that much different between sportback and saloon.

seanix

seanix

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The RS3 Sportback trunk is a 100L smaller then the S3 Sportback. It is small compared to most other hatches.
I am sure the saloon would be larger than the Sportback. I know for certain the s3 Saloon is much larger than the RS3 Sportback so I would think it would be larger with the RS3 saloon as well when compared to its equivalent Sportback.

Tippytoes

Tippytoes

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEast Sussex

@Tippytoes - From the technical data sheet where it says that it can fold down if I understand correctly. 

In unfold it has 315 liters and with fold it has 770 liters...

Luggage capacity / with rear seat bench folded in l (cu ft)

315 (11.1) / 770 (27.2) 

it would be strange if RS3 saloon can´t fold down but on RS3 sportback you can...Can´t be that much different between sportback and saloon.

Alex_m - Thanks for making it clear

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.