28 replies to this topic

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Hi all,

Anyone with a panther black RS3 (or anyone experienced enough to know) your help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a DAS-6 dual action polisher.

I have used it half a dozen times on cars - always with great results. So i am not experienced but not a complete beginner.

I know that the panther black is very hard paint/lacquer so wanted to know what pads/polish grades people used on their dual actions and had great results?

Mine hasn't been properly polished since i had it (6 months) and i would like to give her one proper clean, wash, prep, polish, seal before the winter.

any advice very much appreciated

:)

Panther Black / Dynamic pack / Technology pack / Comfort & sound pack / Design pack / panoramic roof / Super sport seats with RED stitching / Black wheels / Folding heated mirrors / black exterior pack / reverse camera / Privacy glass / Cruise control

PREVIOUS: MK7 Golf GTD DSG / MK6 Golf R DSG / Megane F1 Renaultsport / Mk6 Golf R DSG / Volvo C30 T5 R-Design / Audi A3 tdi S-line / Megane 225 Renaultsport / Clio 182 Renaultsport

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

The best person to ask was T-800 his car I'm sure was Panther and he is a detailing clever person !

Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Account Removed
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationCentral Scotland
Sean was mythos.
Detailing world is a great source of info almost to much.
What pads and polish do you have or are thinking of using.

Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Account Removed
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
If a single stage Sinai oerfect finish has good cut and finishes down well tho on the Audi paint may need a microfibre pad

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

My mistake I thought his was Panther,, Mine is Mythos too ,

Seems the smart people like that colour  :)

I wished I had the skill or was brave enough to use a D/A machine but I know I would somehow ruin the paintwork and then cost me £'s

Irfy

Irfy

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationLiverpool
I have Panther black and the paintwork was in good condition as it was only three months old.

Having said that I just washed the car thoroughly, used clay and tar remover and then used AG Ultra Deep Shine on a finishing pad. Topped it off with a wax for a bit of protection.

If you want an easy solution to heavier swirls then I'd recommend the AG Paint Pro kit. Used it on my old Golf that had black paint and it worked well. Uses a cutting and finishing pad and a cutting and finishing compound.

2016 Audi RS3: Panther Black | SS seats | Design Pack | Technology Pack & Connect | Dynamic Pack | Alu Styling Pack | B&O | Sunroof | Privacy Glass | Camera

Mods: APR map | Milltek downpipe | Forge FMIC | R8 Coils | 034 Motorsport Intake | Carbon Engine Covers | H&R springs | Oil Temp | Alarm Beep

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

thanks all - i really appreciate your comments

i think i only need to use finishing pad and the swirls are everywhere but are so so minor i think the may work.

the AG kit is something i will look at first

i currently have dod juice pads (three grades) and poorboys polish (all four stages)

my mum had an old mini with made paint work and the machine just genuinely made it look new!

Panther Black / Dynamic pack / Technology pack / Comfort & sound pack / Design pack / panoramic roof / Super sport seats with RED stitching / Black wheels / Folding heated mirrors / black exterior pack / reverse camera / Privacy glass / Cruise control

PREVIOUS: MK7 Golf GTD DSG / MK6 Golf R DSG / Megane F1 Renaultsport / Mk6 Golf R DSG / Volvo C30 T5 R-Design / Audi A3 tdi S-line / Megane 225 Renaultsport / Clio 182 Renaultsport

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
I use chemical guys hex logic foam pads and can't fault them.
If your paint work is pretty good, which in guessing it is, I doubt you'd need anymore than the white medium polishing pad with a fine pro finishing polish.
Once I did this, I now just have to use a glaze with a blue pad to prep the paint prior to applying any sealer and wax

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

thanks matt

T16mbo

T16mbo

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
I was advised by autobrite and dodo that a da is a waste of time on our cars.
They both advise rotary

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

interesting.... rotary is a different beast and without training and lots of practice you can burn a cars paint easily....hence going for DA.

just been looking on detailing world and plenty seem to have used DA on 8v hard paint with great success

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

English please  :lol:

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Pretty much any professional detailer would, not matter what car, use a rotary as you can achieve outstanding results in a quicker amount of time particular when doing major correction using compounds.
For use mere mortals playing at it, if your paint work is relatively good then a decent specced DA with the right pad and compound/polish will normally do the job

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Matt ,

How do I know what pad, what polish, what speed,, what pressure, what machine  to use etc etc etc 

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Tbh most companies will give you guidance and preferred use of pads and polishes, you can use detailing world, video tutorials to help get clued up a little.

the harder and more coarse the pad, the more cut it'll provide so you'd be looking to use a compound.
Medium pads work well with lighter finishing polishes
The the soft/fine pads work with glazes and sealants

Tackle a small area at a time and start with something less aggressive as can always go that way if required. Starting too heavy a cut/compound could mean damage to paint at worse or just a shed load of marring etc..

Spread the product at a low speed and usually increase to 5-6 to work the product

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Ps before anyone gets too technical I'm only a beginner really and all self taught.. I've not got involved in any full on paint correction work etc

Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Account Removed
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

My mistake I thought his was Panther,, Mine is Mythos too ,

Seems the smart people like that colour :)

I wished I had the skill or was brave enough to use a D/A machine but I know I would somehow ruin the paintwork and then cost me £'s

Yup all you old boys went safe with mythos Roy lol

Loads good advice in here, they always say try least harsh set of pad and compound first and go harder until your happy with the finish. Make sure your prep well first

Iron x
De tar
Light clay.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Old Boys ???? 

No need for that laddie ! 

Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3

Valued Club Member

• Account Removed
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
Harsh but fair

Grandpa x

Obsidian Detailing

Obsidian Detailing

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

From my experience panther isn't actually that hard. Its really a myth that all Audi paint is hard, its been some of the softest I've polished also. 

For a single stage tidy up with a random orbital try something like sonax ex04-06. Its a good versatile product and as its water based, wipe off is easy as is clean up. Its specifically designed for your type of machine

Meguiars m205 is always a product you need to keep in your garage too. 

Pad wise, lake country crimson hydrotech is firm enough to get the best from products, but smooth enough to finish crystal 

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.