9 replies to this topic

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

hi all

so i used my das-6 on my RS3 last weekend as it had very light swirls.

I used fine swirl poorboys polish and fine dodojuice black pad...

the swirl didnt really clear, i expected it to be like glass.

anyone have any advice on how much pressure, etc etc please?

thanks all

Panther Black / Dynamic pack / Technology pack / Comfort & sound pack / Design pack / panoramic roof / Super sport seats with RED stitching / Black wheels / Folding heated mirrors / black exterior pack / reverse camera / Privacy glass / Cruise control

PREVIOUS: MK7 Golf GTD DSG / MK6 Golf R DSG / Megane F1 Renaultsport / Mk6 Golf R DSG / Volvo C30 T5 R-Design / Audi A3 tdi S-line / Megane 225 Renaultsport / Clio 182 Renaultsport

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage

hi all

thanks all

Audi paint is supposed to be quite hard so try a coarser compound/pad combination.

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
I use the same DA...
What pads have you got/did you use? What speed and how much did you work the polish?

hi all

thanks all

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

I use the same DA...
What pads have you got/did you use? What speed and how much did you work the polish?

hi

i have dodo juice pads, i used the medium pad on speed 6. i used speed one to spread the polish blobs across the area (a square foot size) then speed up to 6. 

thanks

Panther Black / Dynamic pack / Technology pack / Comfort & sound pack / Design pack / panoramic roof / Super sport seats with RED stitching / Black wheels / Folding heated mirrors / black exterior pack / reverse camera / Privacy glass / Cruise control

PREVIOUS: MK7 Golf GTD DSG / MK6 Golf R DSG / Megane F1 Renaultsport / Mk6 Golf R DSG / Volvo C30 T5 R-Design / Audi A3 tdi S-line / Megane 225 Renaultsport / Clio 182 Renaultsport

Rs3owner

Rs3owner

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
If you don't know what your doing 100% don't practice on a 45k + RS3 , get your self to the scrapers and buy an Audi/vw panel to try different techniques out.

As above vw\Audi paint is quite hard

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
It's hard to gauge as I don't know the extent of you defects... As mentioned Audi paint is hard but as with any paint you need be careful and know what you're doing as you can just add marring etc.
If it's light scratches then a medium foam pad should be sufficient. I'm not familiar with the Dodo product range but I'd say what you used is more of a swirl remover therefore try something a little more aggressive like a proper finishing polish.
Only then move to a foam pad with more cut and a decent compound.

As suggested practicing on a panel from the scrapers is a great idea!

hi

i have dodo juice pads, i used the medium pad on speed 6. i used speed one to spread the polish blobs across the area (a square foot size) then speed up to 6.
thanks

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I used the Meguiers 105 / 205 on the MK1 Misano with lake country pads (blue & red)
I found the Meguiers to be quite Dusty after it's been worked.
Had some good results though especially using the Glare polish after.

When I did the Misano TT I used the Menzerna range and found it a lot better to use.

When I get around to doing the MK 2 I'll be using the Glare products from start to finish.

poolmeds

poolmeds

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

many  thanks for your comments

*Dan*

*Dan*

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
The clearcoat on mine is rock hard, i ended up going down to Scholl S3 XXL and a MF pad to achieve some decent defect removal.

Ease up on the speed, you should be aiming for a speed of around 4-4.5 with relatively light pressue and let the machine do the work.

Obsidian Detailing

Obsidian Detailing

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Don't buy into all audis having hard paint, it just isn't true. So best practice is always recommended. Nothing worse than assuming its hard only to not realise you are actually instilling the marring yourself. Also, tread careful at the bottom of the wings. From me to you, paint often gets a lot thinner down there for some reason.

Using a random orbital its all about pressure, slow movements and level machine. I run one to one tuition and the most common mistakes are people not realising just how much pressure is required, and not realising that even a few millimetres off parallel and you significantly reduce your cut

Polishing is an art, not a science, but to generalise a work area is roughly 2ft by 2 ft. That doesn't mean you have to work in squares, if you stretch it one way you can shrink it the other to cover the same area

Spread most polishes at a speed of 2ish, in the middle of your work area, then up it to speed 5ish and work the extent of your area in north to south, then east to west directions. 

Apply enough pressure to slow the machine to roughly 2 revolutions per second (use a sharpy line on the backing plate for a visual guide)

Make sure its the pressure that is slowing the machine, not you holding the machine crooked (the machine must be parallel to the panel you are working. As the machine curves, so must your machine to match)

Use plush microfibres to remove your residue, not some crappy t shirts like some still do lol

Start with your weakest combo, follow the above, if you don't get the desired results change one thing only! Either up the pad OR the polish, and try again. If that fails, up the other. 

If this is your first venture into machining i genuinely recommend you start on a lesser vehicle or even a scrap panel. A lot is made of the safety of a random orbital machine, i know people who amaze me they can make a cup of tea properly and not need a trip to A&E. Point is its a power tool, and can cause damage to your pride and joy, always best to make mistakes elsewhere

Hopefully these guides will help. If you don't get what you need feel free to message me, it maybe something very specific you are doing wrong and small things can make all the difference sometimes 

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.