Photo

Spacers

18 replies to this topic

ConR

ConR

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Hey all.  Anyone running a set of spacers on their ride?  Any advice?  I'm going to run the stock wheels.  Just wanting to makes things a bit more flush.  Thinking no more than 10mm!

domino

domino

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
I have 5mm on rear only with staggered setup

After fitting mpss, evens out the front to rear imo

7a3b3e073d859a3c9b9cf765606ec16e.jpg
  • 2015 RS3 Sportback Nardo (SOLD)
  • 2020 RS3 Sportback Exclusive (REDUX)

ConR

ConR

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Thanks for the info mate!  Can I bug you with a couple more q's?

1.  How flush do the wheels sit with the fender?  Aligned?

2.  What spacers did you go with?  Bolt length?

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

I have 10mm spacers front and rear - mine is 8P though not 8V

domino

domino

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
They are 5mm 42draftdesigns spacers with 32mm bolts

The 42 spacers have a good depth hub centric ring which the 5mm h&r don't

I tried the h&r first but there is not enough hub depth on the car for the wheel to seat properly on the rear and it wobbled at high speed

b330755fc58ce285f10f87f17c111136.jpg

a3149e187fd9b40b50cc9a6573f9d238.jpg

Edited by domino, 11 June 2016 - 12:17 AM.

• 2015 RS3 Sportback Nardo (SOLD)
  • 2020 RS3 Sportback Exclusive (REDUX)

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

DSC00191.JPG DSC00195.JPG DSC00189.JPG

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK

Looks good Booker. is that with 235 or 225 on the rear? and what suspension / ARB.

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

235 Goodyear Asymmetric front and rear, Bilstein B16 coliovers, standard ARB - the suspension makes a huge difference to the car in my opinion

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
I thought you might have aftermarket suspension.
As adding 10mm to the tyre going from 225's to 235's rubbed badly on mine on undulating roads with standard suspension and Arb .

I went straight back to 225's again.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Change the ARB Paul. Quick easy job and a massive improvement. No change to ride quality and you will see how sh1te the Audi one really is.

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
Still considering it Duke. I haven't ruled that option out, and still have a set of 235's I could use.

I had a 4 wheel alignment check done and was "spot on"

What I haven't got my head around with a stiffer Arb is how it will help on undulating roads where the car scuffs on rear 235's under compression. ( so a straight but bumpy a/b road)

I can understand it counteracting against high cornering forces and evening things out, preventing body roll, just not convinced if it can help on a uneven bumpy road surface.

Edited by Paul, 11 June 2016 - 12:26 PM.

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Paul I have a 5 mile drive down some of the crappiest, pot holed, scarred, uneven B roads you can find every day to get to work. I have 235's on the back with an 034 Motorsport ARB in full attack stiff mode and no rubbing. 

You are right primarily the ARB is just to stiffen the rear suspension and reduce roll but unless you are Yumping over low hump back bridges and fully compressing the suspension to cause rubbing a lot of what you fear will be caused by even road camber changes and dips that the standard Audi ARB can't dial out so hence the rub.

For @ £200 and an hour of your time to fit it whats the risk. Even if you do still get a slight rub occasionally overall the handing of the car is so vastly improved you will seriously wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago.

:D

Edited by Duke3D, 11 June 2016 - 01:20 PM.

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

ConR

ConR

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

I'm hoping someone might know the answer haha, but any idea what spacer width I'd need to get the wheels sitting flush?  I've seen one photo on this forum with a 10mm spacer and it looks about flush!

Stock wheels btw!

nervus

nervus

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationOop Norf

Hi ConR,

What wheels are you running on the front? The 8J will take upto a 15mm spacer to get it flush. The option 8.5J will only require a 10mm spacer.

I ran a 8.5J with a 235/35/19 and a 10mm spacer up front and was spot on. The rear will take a 5mm to get flush IMO though some run a 10mm which exposes more tyre when viewing the car from behind below the centreline as the rear bumper sweeps away.

nervus

nervus

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationOop Norf

Also, whatever depth spacer you run you will need that depth adding to your wheel bolt length. Awesome GTI sell the bolts and I got my lockers on ebay. You need a radius seat bolt as the taper seat will come loose or dig into the bolt face and then come loose!

ConR

ConR

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Thanks for that nervus.  I'm running the stock wheels for now.

So you're saying then a 10mm up front, and a 15mm in the rear then?   I will be ordering longer bolts along with a locknut!!!

nervus

nervus

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationOop Norf

No Con,

WITH FACTORY WHEELS:

On the front, either a 15mm with the 8J wheel or 10mm with the 8.5J wheel!

On the back, there is only an 8J option so go with a 10mm if you want flush!

I RAN 8.5 ET51, MTM Wheels and ran 10mm front and 5 mm rear! The 8.5J is Half an inch (~12.5mm)  wider than an 8J and with a ET50 that's about 6.25 more poke from centre than an 8J.

Styxx posted a shot with the black wheels (8.5J up front and 8.0J rear) with 10mm spacers all round and looked spot on! That's the safest option if youre unsure.

Make sure you get hubcentric spacers or you'll get a vibration!!!

ConR

ConR

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Thanks for the info nervus!

bobby_s3

bobby_s3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Hi mate,

What brand spacers did you use?

Cheers

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.