- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

135i king

135i king

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
Hi all, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and purchasing a set of coilovers for the RS. However I'm struggling to find any customer reviews for them and was wondering if people could chirp in here with any experience they have? I wouldn't really want to spend over 2k but if someone is really adamant it's worth the extra then I might extend the budget. I've looked at the Bilstein lot and a couple of the KWs. Are their any more people would consider? Would anyone go as far as saying lowering springs would be adequate? I'm after a lower stance and even more grip and stability than we already have in these lovely motors. The girlfriend has already been given orders to buy me the 034 motorsport rear arb for my birthday in a few weeks ☺!

Any advise is much appreciated, thank you all in advance!

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

Had a look at Bilsteins and KW and elected for Bilsteins in the end based on previous experience of KW V3 on RS4,, they were a bit too harsh. The B16 kit which is rebound adjustable is excellent although not without its flaws as all coil-over kits are. Whilst it now makes the car handle like a go cart on cold days or first thing in the morning it is noisy / squeaky until the oil in the shocks warms up and can as a consequence be initially crash or poor surfaces.

B16 ride control would have been fantastic but then I wanted a 'fit and go' product rather than one I was playing on with and there is a large cost difference. If I do track it takes a minute or so to change the settings on the coil-overs by hand. If its just looks you are going for lower springs would be the way to go but if you want looks, improved ride and handling coil-overs is a must.

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

I have the same kit as P_G above, and can thoroughly recommend it. I have driven an 8P with lowering springs and it was very disappointing - looked great but roadholding no better and ride choppy and harsh. Lowering springs on 8V with mag ride seems to get good reports though - I suggest you try all the options before you choose

Sonnybo55

Sonnybo55

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
I agree with the other guys, after having a ride in bookers car I had to get the same, all the crashing and harshness is gone and handles awesome now. 100% recommend bilstein 👍

Nobber

Nobber

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

I'm on the same band wagon with this.  Bilstein or KW.  Ran KW V3's on previous cars and they are sublime.  Decided to defect on my RS3 though and went with the Billys.  Didn't splash out on 16's though decided to go with the B14 Bilstein kit and I've got to say it's transformed the handling of the car completely (coupled with the 034 Motorsport rear ARB).

As booker says though, they do firm up the ride quite a bit and are particularly harsh first thing in the morning when cold.

If like me you don't really care about the harshness then they are a great modification to do.

135i king

135i king

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
Cheers guys, I really appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll be going for the bilsteins.. It's a mod I've never done to any of my previous cars so I'm looking forward to it. I did catch a glimpse of the company revolution doing a review on the ride control on the B16 kit but can't seem to find it for sale. Is it something you have to enquire about? What is the cost of that kit compared to the 1.3k B16? Again thanks guys.

stevo_123uk

stevo_123uk

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

i ran bilstein on my RS4 was great but after a while was too hard to live wit everyday

stage 2 8p 445BHP 518lb ft

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

You definietly have to adjust the rebound on them on a regular basis to get the best out of them, if you leave it in one setting all the time for whatever reason is starts to get a little harsh, Playing around with the dial settings and therefore the pressure in them and also jacking the car up so the suspension drops somehow invigorates the shocks. When its working properly the ride is so much better / pliable than OEM

Edited by P_G, 25 May 2016 - 02:32 PM.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.