• 20 posts
  • LocationBudapest
Guys! I need some advice! My current setup:
RS3 8p with 94.000 kms on the clock.
-full open exhaust ( no cats! )
-custom big intercooler
-big induction kit
-revo stage 2 remap

I always use oem plugs, but I have some missfire problems after 2-3x wot acceleration. I read that some tuners use one step colder plugs, specially Denso IKH24 ( 5346 ) to avoid missfire problems at high boost. Today I changed the plugs for this densos, but the missfire is worse than before! Now the car producing missfires at every wot from 3rd gear...

Do you have this experience ?

Should I gapped the plugs a bit?

Any advice would be great !

R7jay

R7jay

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
Check coil packs.

What intercooler you using if intake temps very high that will cause misfire. You need to do a log with vag com and send it your Revo dealer

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
The Denso IKH24 is one step colder but with the mods you're running there should be no need for this. If you use your car as a regular road car you'll run the risk of these fouling up.
What were the OEM plugs like when you removed them?

As Jay has said above more than likely going to be coil packs causing the misfire. Any engine warning lights? If so get it hooked up to Vagcom

FuliRs

FuliRs

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBudapest
I already changed coil packs too! Oem spark plugs: 7fc33f7f316d25b81a41edc712b729fa.jpga869990d82c5905222f74d4b94e150cb.jpg8aef9f9ec634e0512df1bcb9d37fc2b0.jpg

FuliRs

FuliRs

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBudapest
Intake temp is much lower than stock cooler, this is my cooler: e0a6a1ca45796df2311c7e70a7c7e62b.jpg

FuliRs

FuliRs

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBudapest
I already have sent logs to my revo dealer, he told the logs are perfect and my car should be around 440-450 hp at high boost. (=1.5-1.6 bar ) and he also recommend to change sparks for this denso, or there is another ( much expensive ) denso full racing sparks. ( ik-01 ) The APR (usa) uses the same sparks for stage 2+, Hohenester (german) also. Some usa forums I read that the sparks should be gapped to 0.4mm. ( the ikh24s are around 0.6+ as stock ) Maybe we will try tomorrow because now is worse than ever...

R7jay

R7jay

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
I use ngk racing plugs, but the denso plugs are just as good.

I would switch off the Revo map and then investigate. Might be a compression issue, could be the fuel pump

Renga

Renga

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSweden

My recommendations' is NGK R7437-8 :)

Bad fuel? Sometimes they aren't up to specs!

Edited by Renga, 24 March 2016 - 12:02 PM.

FuliRs

FuliRs

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBudapest
Problem solved! IKH24 must be gapped to 0.4mm , now seems ok!

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
0.4mm really?! Seems excessively low, I'd be worried that you're potentially masking another fault.
Standard plugs are pregapped to .8mm and many run them on stage 2 without an issue whilst some report regapping to .7mm

stevo_123uk

stevo_123uk

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Intake temp is much lower than stock cooler, this is my cooler: e0a6a1ca45796df2311c7e70a7c7e62b.jpg

outta interest whats the dimensions on your front mount? sizes etc? thanks 

stage 2 8p 445BHP 518lb ft

FuliRs

FuliRs

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBudapest

0.4mm really?! Seems excessively low, I'd be worried that you're potentially masking another fault.
Standard plugs are pregapped to .8mm and many run them on stage 2 without an issue whilst some report regapping to .7mm

I red somewhere in a usa ttrs forum, that a 0.4mm gap needed for high boost. My missfire faults only was in high boost, below 1.4bar there weren't any sign, only when pushing WOT with 1.6bar. Also some of my friends experienced the same for tuned mitsu evos. Real racing spark plugs also have 0.4mm gap as stock.

FuliRs

FuliRs

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBudapest

outta interest whats the dimensions on your front mount? sizes etc? thanks

Dimensions ~ 600x270x100 mm
Full custom made.
Bar and Plate design, air to air.
Works perfect.

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
See how you get in and keep us updated. Defo be worth taking the plugs out and inspect them in a couple weeks to see what the condition is like

I red somewhere in a usa ttrs forum, that a 0.4mm gap needed for high boost. My missfire faults only was in high boost, below 1.4bar there weren't any sign, only when pushing WOT with 1.6bar. Also some of my friends experienced the same for tuned mitsu evos. Real racing spark plugs also have 0.4mm gap as stock.

stevo_123uk

stevo_123uk

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Dimensions ~ 600x270x100 mm
Full custom made.
Bar and Plate design, air to air.
Works perfect.

nice one mate, i like the sound of this :) beats paying for the name ;) 

stage 2 8p 445BHP 518lb ft

135i king

135i king

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
I have a miss fire in 3rd at full wot.. I'm stage 1 MTM tuned on 27k and haven't had new plugs yet. Where is best to purchase the oem plugs? Could do with picking some up asap but the Internet hasn't helped me just yet. Also if new plugs don't work am I looking at coil packs to solve the issue? Any help appreciated, thanks!

FuliRs

FuliRs

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBudapest
Oem plugs won't help if you have missfire problems on a remappad car. Some of the tfsi engines works well with oem plugs, but some of them wont... My suggestion is to use one step colder plugs ( Denso IKH24 5346 ) with a reduced gap to an accurate 0.4mm! Now I'm testing this and seems perfect even in high boost.

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Are you saying your cars never had new plugs or you haven't changed them since the stage 1 remap was done?

Plugs should be changed @19k on standard tune
You can get genuine VAG from various tuning places online or go to TPS if you can get trade.
Alternatively you could run an equivalent Denso VKH22.
Standard plug should be absolutely fine on stage 1.. Maybe consider changing the coil packs at the same time or if the plugs don't cure the fault.

I have a miss fire in 3rd at full wot.. I'm stage 1 MTM tuned on 27k and haven't had new plugs yet. Where is best to purchase the oem plugs? Could do with picking some up asap but the Internet hasn't helped me just yet. Also if new plugs don't work am I looking at coil packs to solve the issue? Any help appreciated, thanks!

135i king

135i king

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
My mistake, they had been changed at 17k so they've done 10k on with the tune too. I'll give the denso plugs a try along with the coil packs and hopefully it cures the miss fire. Fingers crossed.

looch

looch

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

I have been experiencing the same issue recently on mine. Stage 2 with pretty much the same hardware fitted. The car was fine driving normally but in higher gears, if I planted my foot for WOT, the car would stutter and misfire and be down on power. Yesterday I fitted Denso IKH24 plugs (gapped to 0.4mm) and replaced the coilpack with the Red R8 ones. took the car out twice for a blast since and it all seems fine now. I was alarmed at the state of the OEM spark plugs, they were black and badly sooted up, they had only been on 9k miles but I have been running stage 2 in that time. I think for anyone running a mapped RS3 it would be beneficial to upgrade the spark plugs at the same time.

RS3 8P - Daytona Grey - Stage 2+ - 430hp - DSG Map - Turbo Back Milltek Exhaust - Wagner v3 Intercooler - 034 Motorsport Intake - 034 Motorsport ARB - 034 Motorsport Dogbone insert - 034 Motorsport Top Mounts - Bilstein B14 Coilovers 

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.