Photo

Eliminating Understeer

41 replies to this topic

invisiblekid

invisiblekid

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

So I've not had my car long and to be honest I'm still getting used to it, but I do feel like the front end wants to washout on long sweeping bends. Initial turn in feels good. I'm running staggered alloys with 255 Pirelli fronts. 

Without completely ditching the stock suspension does anyone have any suggestions or is it purely down to the physics of having a heavy front end? I wanted to avoid coilovers unless I decide to push beyond Stage 1.

Perhaps something like H&R ARBs with the rear quite stiff could be a good solution along with perhaps a little negative camber up front?

RS3 8V FL - bone stock...for now.

RS3 8V - eTuners Stage 3 480hp.

Danny

Danny

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

The 034 rear ARB works well on the MK1 to eliminate understeer, So I can only assume it would work well on the MK2. You might find that by just changing the front Pirellis to Michelins will help.

Styxz

Styxz

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

So I've not had my car long and to be honest I'm still getting used to it, but I do feel like the front end wants to washout on long sweeping bends. Initial turn in feels good. I'm running staggered alloys with 255 Pirelli fronts. 

Without completely ditching the stock suspension does anyone have any suggestions or is it purely down to the physics of having a heavy front end? I wanted to avoid coilovers unless I decide to push beyond Stage 1.

Perhaps something like H&R ARBs with the rear quite stiff could be a good solution along with perhaps a little negative camber up front?

Michelins sorted most of my understeer out if that helps?
Panther black R8 V8 2014 🏎💨💨🚓🚓💨💨💨💨💨💨💨

invisiblekid

invisiblekid

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Thanks guys. MSSP swap is certainly up for the first change. Hopefully that does the job. I have no confidence in the Pirellis anyway. 

I have been told that the MSSP is being superseded by the Pilot Sport 4. Any news on this?

RS3 8V FL - bone stock...for now.

RS3 8V - eTuners Stage 3 480hp.

domino

domino

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
Try switching to mpss tyres, I did that on mine and it transforms the front end - the Pirelli doesn't offer the same grip, but crucially the narrow sidewall tends to roll over when loaded. You won't have that issue with the Michelin as they run a more square sidewall

Also try driving with traction off. I found that with traction on it just pulls power from front wheels when it starts to push. With traction off, even half off, it'll shuffle more power to rear just keep a trailing throttle mid corner

Here's a comparo of Pirelli vs Michelin

34281a92ef27b749cc57c09bd84b96bc.jpg

Edited by domino, 21 February 2016 - 07:29 AM.

• 2015 RS3 Sportback Nardo (SOLD)
  • 2020 RS3 Sportback Exclusive (REDUX)

peazz

peazz

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Until the weather warms up a bit, MSSP are going no where near my car. 

Previous Cars; M135i, F80 M3, 65 Sepang RS3, 15 Catalunya Red RS3 with all the trimmings
Current: Stage 4 Litchfield GTR 650hp/602ftlbs

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Until the weather warms up a bit, MSSP are going no where near my car. 

Why? I been running MPSS all year round since I got the car 18 months ago. Grips fine and I have a regular journey down some pretty shoddy B roads, muddy morning frost etc. 

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

Styxz

Styxz

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
MPSS are rated better in the wet than the Pirellis btw......huge improvement in any weather and I've done over 1,000 miles on them already.
Panther black R8 V8 2014 🏎💨💨🚓🚓💨💨💨💨💨💨💨

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
I was out yesterday Testing the RS3 with William @ MSS along the costal roads of Weymouth, with the understeer which we managed to feel on a number of occasions when the power is applied through a corner. He said this was identical feeling when the TT-RS was stock, the solution involves a stiffer Spring at the rear allowing the car to be more balanced through the corner. As the power is applied the rear squats and the front end goes light therefore you get the understeer. After a few hours of testing I have to say I'm really looking forward to being apart of the development of this kit, after a drive in his TT it was clear to feel the difference. The TT had no signs of the dreaded Audi Quattro understeer. William was very impressed with the power delivery of the RS3 saying it was on par with the stage 2 TT which is pushing out over 420hp. I would suggest the TT had more umph at the top of the range due to the mapping, but not a huge difference lower down. Il keep updating the MSS thread when we start development looking at a track day next month to test out the mk7 golf R and the RS3.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Brummyash

Brummyash

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I don't understand why can't Audi sort out the understeer (not that it bothers me, haven't even got the bloody car yet!) but it seems everyone has picked up on this and initially sometime last year on here, I remember reading the forum where I seen people constantly stating that you won't feel the understeer unless you are constantly and really pushing the car too its limits..

Though it seems with different tyres, a change with suspension (springs/coils) that the understeer is dramatically decreased. Maybe they should work with the likes of KW to sort out this particular issue, though I guess this would undermine their developing team who specifically work in this area I guess.

Edited by Brummyash, 22 February 2016 - 01:47 AM.

404 not found

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

They will have it sorted long before you order Brummy  ;)

domino

domino

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
Awd is safe and predictable - perfect for the masses

The f-type rwd v8 is now nolonger available in US (awd only) because jag realized it was a law suit waiting to happen - given how hard Americans find driving corvettes in a straight line

Edited by domino, 22 February 2016 - 09:27 AM.

• 2015 RS3 Sportback Nardo (SOLD)
  • 2020 RS3 Sportback Exclusive (REDUX)

red14

red14

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Reference what Domino said about the Pirellis rolling over - that's exactly how my winter Pirellis feel, no matter what the tyre pressure or road conditions. Not very confidence inspiring.

I'm only persevering because weather conditions and potholes here are so bad I can't be bothered putting my Michelins back on just to destroy them.

Or maybe I need to slow down a bit  :) but where's the fun in that?

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

I think the answer is Audi are designing a powerful road car that is easy to drive and as above state predictable from one variant to the next. If the RS3 was a track focused car I am fairly certain they would create the ultimate car in this class. If you think from a business point of view they have got to try and please all members of society that may purchase one of these, therefore the ride cannot be overwhelmingly hard which some of the coilover kits would give. I have to admit if you have not really done any track driving maybe you wouldn't notice understeer on the road this is all down to the drivers style and how what the driver feels from the car. If you want to get a feeling of the understeer it is fairly easy to achieve without putting yourself in any great danger, I just look forward to the testing of the new kit & I will also be switching to MPSS once the P Zero's come to the end of their life.

When we go on a trackday next month I will post videos from a go pro this should show the understeer in its full glory, If anyone else fancies a track day be good to get a few RS3's together ideal photo opportunity. I'm pretty sure William would be happy to give you a passenger ride in the TT-RS give you a feel of what is to offer with the MSSKIT.

Brummyash

Brummyash

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

They will have it sorted long before you order Brummy  ;)

FANTASTIC! Well they did say build week 39 we will see some significant changes to the configurator with LOADS of new goodies so that doesn't seem like a long wait.. so hopefully with the facelift the understeer is history.. ;)

Made my day with that Booker! Cheers buddy!!! ;) :P :D
404 not found

booker

booker

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

You're welcome Brummy, as ever  :)

D19NL B

D19NL B

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
Does changing tyres from factory spec void warranty?

I just remembered that i'm absent minded, wait, i mean i lost my mind i can't find it.

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Not a chance D19NL B

Mltyson89

Mltyson89

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
http://msskits.com/m...development-car

nervus

nervus

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationOop Norf

I think the H&R lowering kit eliminates a lot of the over-steer.

Also, I think adjusting my Tyre pressures (-2psi in the front, +2psi rear) helped too, but that may be just in my head :-) It should in theory have a minor positive effect though as it promotes the rear to break before the front.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.