- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

looch

looch

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
Driving today and i could hear a squeal coming from drivers side front. I turned the radio off and opened the window, by then the noise was a really loud screeching.

I pulled up and put it in reverse, noise was even louder. Pumped the brakes a couple of times but any slight movement forwards or backwards in the car equated into the most ear piercing utterly piercing screeching squeeling noise I've ever heard... Sounded like Steven Hawkins going into a crusher.

Rang Audi Assistance up who described the noise back to me almost instantly. One of their "technicians" quickly called me back and had me very slowly drive forward turning the wheel left and right in quick succession so I was snaking. Then repeat in reverse, he said often you can dislodge the stone, sure enough on the second reverse it pinged out and the noise had gone.

A crowd of builders had formed watching me which was embarrassing but there you go, apparently Audis are prone to this?

RS3 8P - Daytona Grey - Stage 2+ - 430hp - DSG Map - Turbo Back Milltek Exhaust - Wagner v3 Intercooler - 034 Motorsport Intake - 034 Motorsport ARB - 034 Motorsport Dogbone insert - 034 Motorsport Top Mounts - Bilstein B14 Coilovers 

kevin69

kevin69

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
That may explain why my drivers side disc had a deep groove developing ( but no squeals) - but got them to swap it anyway
Never thought a stone was possible - only heard about it in the RS unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marshy

marshy

Valued Club Member

• Account Removed
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • LocationDumfriesshire
I've had this a few times!
Always when leaving work and there's loads of people looking
Usually comes out with turning the steering side to side when moving slowly.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
Yep had this in the 3 and the 4 where stones seem to have got stuck in between the shield.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Had a large stone jammed in one of the holes in the front N/S disk that was smashing into the calliper. Had to pull over, remove the wheel and dig it out before too much damage was done.

Also had a stone stuck in a rear brake on my old A3 Sportback giving much the same problem that you had. Pigging annoying but yes as others have said quite common on Audi's.

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Never had a stone.......

However had some s h i t pads lodged in me old 8p

Sent from Cyberdyne systems

Duke3D

Duke3D

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Never had a stone.......

However had some s h i t pads lodged in me old 8p

Sent from Cyberdyne systems

Harsh... but so, so true if you're talking about the nasty Audi/ Pagid's...

Audi RS3 8P 2011: Phantom Black, Retrofit genuine Audi black grille. Mods: Milltek Decat pipes, Bilstein B16 Coilovers with 034 Motorsport top mounts. Superpro front control arms, Powerflex Gearbox & Dogbone mount inserts, 034 Motorsport Rear ARB, 034 Motorsport Front & Rear Drop Links. Reyland 370mm front brake rotors.

0120raptor

0120raptor

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationUsually in the dyno cell

Had this a few times myself.If you bang the shield with your hand it usually dislodges the stone.

Catalunya Red ,Heated rear window,Power steering,Wireless (with FM),Seat belts,Servo assisted brakes.Pneumatic tyres. Disc brakes.

Josh

Josh

If it's got **** or wheels it'll lose you money!

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire

I have this ALL the time!! I have a gravel drive to the house and they get picked up in there at least twice a month. As said a good tap on the shield gets them out!

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.