27 replies to this topic

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

So as I was driving home from work last night the Odometer creeped over the 10000 mile mark and I thought it a good time to write a review of my ownership experience in just under 8 months of having the RS3.

The RS3 was always going to have a tough job on its hands to live up to “The Beast”, the mighty B7 RS4 which had to date been the best car I had ever owned and the longest at 5+ years of ownership. Coupled to a decent list of modifications on it including;

Non-res valved AAS exhaust with x-pipe

GruppeM ram air intake

Port / polished and de-flapped manifold

Carbon clean

Cold air feed

Hotchkis front and rear ARB’s

EBC Yellowstuffs

Goodridge hoses

Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas

Revolution remap

The RS4 bar a supercharger was pretty much perfect so a stock RS3 to match was a tall order, some may say an impossible one. So on the first day of collecting it went in for some minor enhancements in Milltek cat bypass pipes and a Pipercross air filter. So here is how I rate the RS3 in various categories vs. the RS4.

Styling

The 3 is aggressive but in a different way to the RS4, almost subtly aggressive. Everyone knew what the RS4 was, probably helped by the fact most could hear it coming 1/2 mile away and it got a lot more comments but also a lot more attention both from boy racers and the Rozzers With newer Audi’s coming out the B7 even for me looks a little dated at the front but it has so much presence.

P1010001.jpg

The RS3 doesn’t except from the front but then I quite like that now, maybe it suits my advancing years and outlook on vanity. The family prefer the 3.

P1000996.jpg

Inside is the one place the 3 doesn’t live up to the 4. The dimensions in the 3 are actually better; particularly in the rear albeit the cabin is a little narrower but the quality of plastic is not there. That’s not to say the ‘3 is not a nice place to be because it is and on long journeys it is comfortable and coming from other brands it is well built but coming from one Audi to another it has some shortfalls.

Performance

The one most people will be interested in and having had time to reflect the ‘3 and the ‘4 go about it in different ways. The ‘4’s Achilles heel was its lack of torque which was partly addressed by the modifications I had done to it but the one thing with the RS4 was that there was always a sense of occasion no matter what speed you were doing. You could be doing 30mph and it would sound epic. The ‘3 I find myself being faster to get enjoyment out of it but at the risk of points / licence. For an everyday proposition and point and shoot driving which most of our roads allow the ‘3 with its s-tronic is more usable and having been up against some RS4s just as quick as you wouldn’t notice the difference. Don’t get me wrong, the 5-pot has its moments of aural excitement but not in the way of a V8.

Pick up in the ‘3 is good but could be improved on throttle aggression but it has to be said the gearbox helps the ‘3’s 5-pot be as good as the modified ‘4. There is one area the ‘3 does fall down and that is mid to top end punch where more torque would be handy as on high speed overtakes it feels like it is running out of puff and you have to drop a couple of gears to get in the sweet spot whereas the displacement of the ‘4 meant it always felt like it had plenty of shove but a remap on the ‘3 I believe will solve that issue.

Handling

As much as many people slated the RS4’s DRC it worked on mine and was sublime. And what it shows up on the ‘3 is how hard the ride is. I suspect it would be better on 18”wheels as on my winter wheels it rides a lot better. The difference however has been minimised from changing from the supplied Continentals to Goodyear’s. I almost feel like going back to Audi and asking for a refund on the money I spent to change to Goodyears to make the ‘3 what it should have been because the Continental 5P’s were that bad. Even the Conti’s winter tyres I bought were better. Audi should never be allowed to dictate what tyres this car comes with because gone are the vague steering feel, sliding on turn in, lack of confidence and feel in the wet, harsh ride and general loud slushiness and instead you have more direct communication at all grip levels, quieter ride and a generally more alert car.

Handling has been enhanced by the inclusion of the 034 Motorsports ARB. Give 034 their dues, the mucked up by initially sending the wrong bar but made amends by sending the new one FOC and it takes out so much of the pitch and roll and under-steer on the OEM car and is the best £200 you could spend much like Hotchkis was on the ‘4 for £300. It’s still not as good as DRC because the comfort isn’t there and the 3‘s lacks the ability to absorb the bumps and potholes as well as the ‘4 but it’s nearly there, it just needs to feel a litlle more planted like the '4 and to an extent stuck to the road with glue which is what you always got in the '4. Possibly a set of PSS9’s in the future.

For those that say the ’3 is poor handling wise try these two changes to OEM and you’ll be surprised at how good it is. The fact the ‘3 is also lighter and feels a little more nimble adds to the satisfaction. Coupled to a continuation of legendary 4WD grip in all weathers albeit you can feel the difference between Haldex and Torsen but not enough in real life for it to be a significant difference.

Manual vs. s-tronic

I have always been a staunch manual man but I have to say I am converted by s-tronic. It has its moments of stupidity when in manual mode and you are looking to downshift but it selects to do so just before you do so you end up going from 4th to 1st rather than 4th to 2nd or you pull up at a junction and it momentarily pauses to select first when you wanted to get into that gap in traffic and it lurches quite horribly but the flexibility it generally shows is impressive. On my commute I leave it in ‘D’ and let it do its thing and in queuing traffic it make the journey almost enjoyable.

Manual mode is good, better now that I have some custom paddle extenders added which allow my short sausage fingers to rest just so on them that it feels intuitive to me, sport mode is good when you want to mash the throttle and just be lazy with speed  but the best bit..... launch control!

Cost of ownership

To be candid this is the reason I moved to the ‘3. I had the ‘4 but ultimately had to get a commute hack in the shape of a Seta Ibiza 1.4 TDi Reference for the commute to work. Then one day I looked outside and thought it was crazy to have 2 cars sitting outside the house where I often used one on one day of the week, the other on one day of the weekend and the other 5 days both were sitting there doing nothing. The ‘3 was consolidation and at this stage it is proving to be more economical than having 2 cars and all the associated costs. MPG for the first 10k miles has been 26.1mpg, 5mpg or 25% better than the RS4. But the engine is just starting to loosen up and the longer journeys will see 30+mpg and my commute to work regularly sees 35+mpg whereas in the ‘4 I’d be lucky to see 26mpg. With more miles I’m confident the ‘3 ill be consistently near to or over 30mpg which makes it nearly 50% better than the ‘4 £200 difference in road tax each year helps and cost of insurance is about the same for a car double the value.

The 3 has not wanted a drink of oil (touch wood) since I collected it whereas by now I would have used 3 litres in the ‘4 and probably have done a 10 litre oil change at 5k miles x2.Servicing will be cheaper and the upside of brake squeal is that you get a new set of pads, discs and callipers at 9k miles FOC which would have been £400+ on the 4 just for the discs. Yes there is bigger depreciation on the ‘3 because it is new so it will probably work out around the same so I’m certainly no worse off but factor in finance, running and insurance of the SEAT on a day to day basis I am better off with less to worry about partly because of warranty, but alos a newer car whereas the ‘4 was bordering on 100k miles when I sold it and to keep doing 15k miles in it a year would have been a seriously expensive proposition. In a month I was spending around £400-450 in petrol and diesel, now it is around £320-350. The ‘3 will do 320-400 miles easily on 55-60 litres whereas I would be lucky to see 300-330 on anything but long journeys in the ‘4 on 70 litres.

Cost of modifying

On a par at present but considering my total modifying budget on the ‘4 was between £4-4.5K for all the parts and work done excluding tyres and brake discs. So far I have spent £400 on the bypass pipes and ARB. A remap will at £1k likely give me a faster, better performing car than the ’4 so the ‘3 is far more practically affordable tuning wise.

Ownership experience

P1010215_zpscb64d670.jpg

So has it been worth it? My financial head says yes and the ‘3 continues to surprise. It is helped that the family prefer it, largely because it doesn’t wake up the neighbourhood at 6am when I sometimes leave for work / going away but my you can’t replace the occasion of a sweet sounding V8 in your life. That said I don’t miss the oil tops ups, the more frequent fuel stops, the disc judder pre EBC’s and the cost of 5k oil services. I’ll see how I feel after the ‘3 is remapped and had a few select bits changed internally and externally but no doubt the RS3 is a very, very good car but it isn’t quite a great car but then I have been spoiled by owning one of the greats. I genuinely believe if I had come from any other car the RS3 would be great, fantastic even. Perhaps it will be a fantastic car once the modifications are complete and I sincerely hope so. And in that I have been fortunate to have owned one of the best super saloons of all time and now driving one of the best ones available today.

P1010218_zpsf08e6a71.jpg

P1010204_zps32e80599.jpg

Just a pity it doesn't sound like this and then it would be perfect.......

http://s18.photobuck...000480.mp4.html

Edited by P_G, 18 June 2013 - 03:49 PM.

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

29 views and no replies eh? What a tough audience!

dbm

dbm

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationRed Rose County
Garage View Garage
That's a good read, especially the comparison with the RS4. I've just clicked over 1 year of ownership and 17k miles with my car and I'm only now really getting to grips with it. Changing the tyres was a watershed moment; prior to that the car didn't give confidence through the bends but now it grips like *ahem* on a blanket.

My previous car was a TTS and that was a very agile motor. The RS3 was blunt by comparison, but I am now getting to trust it and feel the balance of the heavier car. The over taking capability of the RS3 is second to none, however. We're shortly off to Cornwall for a week, and I'm looking forward to driving the car on engaging Cornish roads.

RS3 8V | RS3 8P

Ironhorse 874

Ironhorse 874

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationmid wales
I like DBM never owned an rs4 I had an s3 so this RS3 is a revelation but I know what pg means about the sound of that v8 motor was lent an s4cabriolet once by local Audi dealer and loved the sound of that engine especially with the hood down but after 3000 miles and twelve months of ownership every journey I take in the car is awesome

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage

Nice read PG!!  

Have to echo many of the things you've already mentioned tbh,

The 3 is way more nimble, I feel it can be chucked about a lot easier as its not as heavy.   Grip lets it down but i'm on the oem tyres still  and i do know just how much difference they can make on any car.

You have to get the rev's up to get a nice sound where as the 4 it was very easy!   Although my neighbours probably wouldn't agree.

i leave mine in D for probably 90% of the time because lets be honest if your commute or journey involves a town trip then you don't want it holding gears etc etc.   Find it tough to believe that some get in, Press S and select S on the box every time! Must make for some uncomfortable urban trips.  

Biggest bug bear with the 3 is the poor quality inside, The 4 always felt a more exclusive place to be tbh.  

i'm booked in for a map soon and i'll do a write up between stock and mapped,  bang for buck the 3 is a far better car to tune and from reports will blow an rs4 into the weeds when mapped..... time will tell! 

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

PT3

PT3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

How do you find the 034 Motorsport ARB - does it make a noticeable difference and effect less understeer?  Which setting did you select for stiffness?

I am very interested, as I don't like the amount of body roll on the car.  This seems like a reasonably priced improvement.

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

It is a very good addition and I have gone for aggressive setting on it. It does make the car stiffer and to a minor extent, harden the ride experience a little further but the flatness in cornering and move from understeer to lift off oversteer is worth it. The back will step out first at way higher speed than you need before the front will.

Edited by P_G, 20 June 2013 - 11:28 AM.

PT3

PT3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Thanks P_G

I'm very tempted....

PT3

PT3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Ordered!

Danny

Danny

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Where can I buy please? http://www.wotmotorsport.com?

How much did you guys pay? If you don't mid me asking. I was thinking of changing to Goodyears also. They ware amazing on my golf. Are people still on 235s or has anyone tried 255s on the fronts?

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

Are you asking about the 034 Motorsports ARB? Directly from them in the US. H&R aslo do a front and rear kit which is morec.£400+fitting. 034 was IIRC c.£200-230 including shipping and import duty.

You can only really use 255's on the front if you have the 8.5Jx19 rotors; standard 8j's will only really work up to 235 width.

Edited by P_G, 22 June 2013 - 06:58 AM.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
Garage View Garage

What made you choose them over say Eibach etc ?

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

Eibach didn't do a set at the time, H&R were the only option and given the ride was pretty hard already, stiffening front and rear would have potentially made it a lot harder. A rear was all that was really needed havig done the same on my B6 S4 with an RS4 rear ARB (plus better tyres on the '3) and it is done the trick. Cheaper cost too and less to put back to standard should it have to go back in for suspension issues at any time during warranty period. The rear is a 20 minute job if that; the front to access and put in / take out takes a lot longer.

Edited by P_G, 22 June 2013 - 06:00 PM.

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

On the RS4 I changed front and rear with Hotchkis because I knew the suspension could take it and not compromise ride quality, on the B6 S4 I changed rear only because it was nose heavy but quite hard ride again so emulated what i did there on the '3 since is was displying similar characteristics.

If I go coilovers at some stage I my go H&R front and rear but the rear ARB changed is sufficient for what I need on the '3.

Tailpipe

Tailpipe

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon

Super review, thanks for writing it. 

I am quite familiar with the RS4. One reason to prefer the RS3 is range on a trans-European trip. The RS4's small fuel range often meant a range of well less than 300 miles. If you really caned it, you could drop to about 230 miles. 

With the RS3, fuel economy, even when cruising at healthy autobahn speeds, is impressive. 

Thanks for the tip on the tyres. 

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

The '4 was thirsty when hooning it but you could get 330-360 out of a tank on the autobahns however you're right in saying thr '4 would have benefited from an 80 litre tank. That said I doubt the '3 will do 175+mph and sound as good and dynamically it still isn't as great.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
Garage View Garage

Super review, thanks for writing it. 

I am quite familiar with the RS4. One reason to prefer the RS3 is range on a trans-European trip. The RS4's small fuel range often meant a range of well less than 300 miles. If you really caned it, you could drop to about 230 miles. 

With the RS3, fuel economy, even when cruising at healthy autobahn speeds, is impressive. 

Thanks for the tip on the tyres. 

What sort of miles per tank are you returning on your long journeys?

I'm off to France in two weeks so wondered how many per tank on a motorway ?

P_G

P_G

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
Garage View Garage

My commute is mostly dual carriageway of the 85 miles I do and even with a few spirited drives easily getting 360 per tank / 52-55 litres so hovering around the 30mpg mark. Doing Newcastle to Goodwood in a couple of weekends time so will see what it'll do on a continuous run then. Reckon I could get 400 out of a tank without driving Miss Daisy

Edited by P_G, 27 June 2013 - 12:25 PM.

PT3

PT3

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

I did my regular run from Sevenoaks to Portsmouth the other day and went for best economy run.  I did 42mpg, but was almost driving at the point of being annoying to other road users.  Not too bad though I thought....

Tailpipe

Tailpipe

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon
MacD, I get 300 miles easily, but can get near 400 miles if I stay below 90 mph. All in, i am averaging about 28-30 mpg. I guess I have a heavy right foot. The RS3 will cruise all too happily at 120-130 mph (in Germany).

I followed a McLaren MP4-12C from Calais to Troyes. We kept pace at what I will describe as a fairly suitable and brisk speed. He could have obviously gone much faster than me, but at the speed we were going, he had to stop for fuel before I did. He never caught me up.

For me, if the next RS3 has 400 bhp and 40 mpg, it'll be perfect

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.