Decisions, decisions!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Bungle

Bungle

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

I know this is an RS3 forum but which would you choose and why?

1. New RS3, 6 to 9 month wait, next to poverty spec.

2. RS Q3 (340), 6 months old, no wait, well specced.

3. New S3, 3 months wait, dream spec.

Anyone with any experience of the second two? I'm looking to make a decision shortly and I can't quite make up my mind!

Collected: RS3 8V, Daytona, comfort/sound, dynamic, privacy glass, SDnav, folding mirrors

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
S3 is a cracking car but the only point it beats the Mk1 or Mk2 is that it comes in the saloon as i think it looks great.

A few guys here have owned the S3 and will testify it's not a patch, doesn't mean it's bad though.

RSQ3 while they look good and go well I just don't buy into the hot hatch / mum bus mismatch I'm afraid, it's not a hot hatch and it doesn't handle or corner like an RS3... Different animal imho and probably made for those that need more room but don't want to perhaps lose touch with the RS brand.

Granted I'm well aware of current lead times and frustrations over changing build weeks, but now the initial launch hype has been and gone and orders are settling in then reliable build weeks should be possible.

I waited 7 months for the RS4, I'd rather wait for the car I want in my spec than jump into something a little similar but not fully what I want.

None of your options are cheap or indeed poor cars but are they what you actually want is what you need to ask yourself!

Have you thought of a demo RS3? A few dealers are now offering theirs up.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

81llyh

81llyh

Blue! 🔵

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
The engine in the RS3 alone is worth it over an S3 imo!

kevin69

kevin69

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
Iv got an S3 ( last 3 have been S3)
Mine is 12 plate so older model fully specced, and I love it.
The new model with mqb platform must be even better now.
Tough decision - but would leave the Q3 out of equation I don't see it as a true RS, and probably won't be as much fun round the fast bends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bungle

Bungle

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. I guess good things come to those that wait.

I like the idea of an ex demo but I feel that the prices are still too high. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's picked up an ex demo and their experience with the dealer.

Collected: RS3 8V, Daytona, comfort/sound, dynamic, privacy glass, SDnav, folding mirrors

45bvtc

45bvtc

Started with nothing and still have most of it left

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

RS3, RS3, RS3

I know this is an RS3 forum but which would you choose and why?

1. New RS3, 6 to 9 month wait, next to poverty spec.

2. RS Q3 (340), 6 months old, no wait, well specced.

3. New S3, 3 months wait, dream spec.

Anyone with any experience of the second two? I'm looking to make a decision shortly and I can't quite make up my mind!

RS3, RS3, RS3.  An 8P RS3 owner for 4-years now the RS3 had me shaking the first time I reluctantly drove one (just to satisfy the 'young' salesman) and still excites me even now.  For me and mine the most amazing all weather safe and fun motor car I need and/or want with my own money, period.

Bungle

Bungle

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
45bvtc......I think you just convinced me!

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
While I cannot comment personally about how the S3 (or even the RS3 yet!) drive, I agree with the others here who have said do not go for the RSQ3.

Like MacD I do not 'get' this whole fast SUV thing at all, and having been inside a normal Q3 there isn't a great deal different with the interior space. Just higher driving position, hence higher centre of gravity, hence lower ability on the road.

Just my 2p!!

:blue: ​    Sepang Blue 8V RS3. Loud Exhaust. Loud Music. Louder Interior. Quiet Exterior.

45bvtc

45bvtc

Started with nothing and still have most of it left

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Don

45bvtc......I think you just convinced me!

Happy to hear that, Bungle. 

But don't get me wrong here as others know that I'm ready, willing, and able to throw any RS Audi around on either road or track and in any weather you'd like to provide; but my 8P RS3 ticks all of the boxes for me and mine and will be staying with us for a long time yet as I/we've yet to drive anything I/we'd swap it for and that includes and ALL in the Audi range; as for the other premium brands available let's not go there....

And do not discount the 8P RS3...

P1020279mod2_zps94ebcc9y.jpg

Yeoy

Yeoy

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationDown South
Bungle, I guess I could answer this question here as I've driven all 3.
1 - S3. 2011 black edition in sprint blue with pretty much every single extra. Absolutely superb car. Its a joy to drive, the Mrs loves it as her everyday vehicle, and it's more than practical enough with our 9month old baby. Its quick, and comfortable at the same time.. And this leads me onto the new RS3.... Which is a completely different beast.
The biggest thing imho is the difference between comfort and dynamic mode. You have to drive the car to appreciate this. Yes the vehicle is expensive but the 5 pot engine is worth every single penny.. It really is. It's so quite and hides away when driving through town, yet turn that knob and a beast is revealed.
That is the biggest difference between the RS3 and s3. The engine. If you think it's worth the extra £££££.. That's down to you, but there isn't many that say not.
My grandad owns a rsq3.. Lovely vehicle, quick but I've always said it.. Pointless.
By a Range Rover if you want a Chelsea tractor.. Buying a RS means speed. I really think Audi are stupid releasing that vehicle.
Compared to the Range Rover for practicality and comfort, it's nowhere near as good.
If you want a Audi and practicality, buy a Avant or a saloon.

Bungle

Bungle

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will be test driving shortly (dealer won't let me bring it home for a day). I'll let you know how I get on.

TheRS3a

TheRS3a

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationUK

Tell them you need to have it for a good run before you can put your pen to paper, I have a 24 hours test drive, when I find a good 24 hours that suits me as well as them.

Previous: Audi A3 1999-2001 - Golf MK4 GTI 2001-2007 - Golf MK5 GTI 2007-2014 - VW Golf MK7 R 2014-2016 - Audi RS3 2016 - Reviera Blue

Current: Not sure....

|| VCDS - Newbury | Web Coder | Detailing Newbury ||

Bungle

Bungle

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Decision made!

RS3, deposit paid, standing by for the wait. Daytona grey with sound/ comfort and dynamic pack.

It seems from this forum that the BWs are slowly sorting themselves out. I think I need to forget about it for a while.... thanks for all the advice!

Ozmosis

Ozmosis

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
Nice one Bungle. Did you get to test drive one?

I ordered mine at the beginning of June (ok not in the UK) and it is due in November. Now I am getting anxious!!!

:blue: ​    Sepang Blue 8V RS3. Loud Exhaust. Loud Music. Louder Interior. Quiet Exterior.

Yeoy

Yeoy

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationDown South
Nice one Bungle.
Decision well made.

Bramosh

Bramosh

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
Well done, I test drove one about 6 weeks ago and I'm still buzzing, mine comes probably end of March and I haven't been this excited in a long time, I'm sure there's some saying about good things and waiting, they need to make more YouTube videos as I have watched all including the German ones now lol

Bungle

Bungle

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
I test drove a bog standard spec one at a local dealer and was amazed. I would have bought it on the spot if it hadn't already been sold. I rang around to find out about a couple of demos but I couldn't reconcile the money that they're looking for, list price for a 3 month old car, launched to death in the spec I didn't want! In the end Orangewheels took care of it and put me in touch with a dealer who was prepared to be realistic. I'll have to travel but it'll be a hell of a journey back!

Bungle

Bungle

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
Oh and yes, I have been through the YouTube library! For those that have already taken ownership please take more videos and help the rest of us through the wait!

Chungster

Chungster

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I tell you, Dynamic pack in Dynamic Mode and DSG in Sport - the noises the car makes on up shift and especially down shifts is epic!!!! I do wonder if it's throwing flames out the back when it's popping and banging the way it does. We f'ing love it :D

Edited by Chungster, 09 September 2015 - 06:43 PM.

kevin69

kevin69

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
Funny you mention orange wheels. Now my sepang beastie is on order ( March 1st delivery) the wife's making noises of a new S3 cab - orangewheels saved thousands on list at dealers etc....
The only problem with a long build time, is that I keep adding to the spec - they are gonna tell me to p##s off at this rate
First think on the spec list though was dynamic - this car should be both seen, and heard

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.