49 replies to this topic

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationStaffs/Cheshire border
This isn't RS related I know but my GFs 6 week old A3 already has rusty disc bells/ hubs and her rear calipers are showing same
Anyone else had or know of similar, is it acceptable and has to be lived with or has anyone had any Audi UK involvement or anything before I go kicking off

Can't believe it.....I've an old Leon and 4yr old Beemer that arent showing anything like and I've never seen this on any brand new German car

Cheers

Edited by Pat, 25 April 2015 - 08:48 PM.

Moschops

Moschops

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationPlanet Claire
Pat, it's a common problem across all the Audi ranges. We've just had a 4 month old S3 have the brake hubs and bells painted by our detailer. Some Audi dealers will entertain it if you have a good relationship with them, but as for Audi UK...they are not interested.

You can go back to the supplying dealer and see what they say.....but good luck.

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Pat, it's a common problem across all the Audi ranges. We've just had a 4 month old S3 have the brake hubs and bells painted by our detailer. Some Audi dealers will entertain it if you have a good relationship with them, but as for Audi UK...they are not interested.
You can go back to the supplying dealer and see what they say.....but good luck.

Cheers thanks for that
So much for anti corrosion or quality.....I thought it might just be on the std models but not on the S' too.......mmmmm wonder if it's the same on the A4-6-8 ?? Bet it isn't and won't be on the R8 and such. Yeh I'll get the bells painted....it's disgusting quality standard. How much would it cost to coat or plate them ?

New RS Mk2 purchasers beware

Edited by Pat, 25 April 2015 - 10:19 PM.

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage

Cheers thanks for that
So much for anti corrosion or quality.....I thought it might just be on the std models but not on the S' too.......mmmmm wonder if it's the same on the A4-6-8 ?? Bet it isn't and won't be on the R8 and such. Yeh I'll get the bells painted....it's disgusting quality standard. How much would it cost to coat or plate them ?

New RS Mk2 purchasers beware

Pat i had it on my 2010 S4,2013 RS3 and on my current 2013 S5 rust doesn't discriminate on Audi brake parts :m0168: ,as you say its disgusting especially for a premium brand.

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Realistically though how much would it cost them to coat the damn things in the same way even budget after market ones are.....we will get them painted no problem but you shouldn't have to

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
A customer of mine was showing me how his rear hubs had gone the same on his Merc CLA AMG car isn't 4 months old yet
It looked shocking on a 50K car

Told him to try the dealer or paint them himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Brembo

Edited by veneeringman, 26 April 2015 - 09:59 AM.

45bvtc

45bvtc

Started with nothing and still have most of it left

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire
POR 15, Pat; POR 15 - as at least two of the above could testify...

OK, and now one below...

Edited by 45bvtc, 26 April 2015 - 11:39 AM.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK

POR 15, Pat; POR 15 - as at least two of the above could testify...

And me. :D

They all rust Pat, you just havent seen your RS in a while and will be upgrading them anyway.

Paul

Paul

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUK
A good friend helped with me with mine Oct 2014.

4,900 miles before:

Attached File  image.jpg   74.22K   6 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   75.93K   5 downloads

Today 7,300 miles:

Attached File  image.jpg   92.47K   6 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   92.93K   7 downloads

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
We are all far too Anal.......

Sent from my iPhone using Brembo

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

And me. :D

They all rust Pat, you just havent seen your RS in a while and will be upgrading them anyway.

Yeh I am changing the RS ones and I've finally picked them but this is about the Mrs' A3. I would post pics and specs of my RS ones but I'm not getting drawn into more brake debates......and I do go and visit the old girl nearly every week....the RS not the Mrs lol
The re furbed bells look lovely by the way.....

Hey I'm not Anal I'm just a not so smart arse

Edited by Pat, 26 April 2015 - 08:38 PM.

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage

I don't think the R8 bell's are painted so they'll also suffer.

POR15 is the way forward as John Said or just keep on top of it with some Autosol and a brillo pad.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Yeh we getting the paint not a problem...lit it's the having too so soon that's very disappointing....the POR sounds better than what I had in mind so cheers for that

Moschops

Moschops

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationPlanet Claire
Pat, sounds like you need an afternoon with our very own mad professor aka 45bvtc.

Just need a tin of POR15 and some brushes. This will certainly make it look better and keep the bells looking good.

This problem is common across all the Audi range and is not model specific, like you say...not good enough Audi!!!!!

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

As I am still considering show and shine concours my car this year (Audis in the Park , maybe GTi festival) I need to make my bells look better too... was thinking of using hammerite but not sure that will take the temperatures ? If I used POR15 would it need to be high temperature ?

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi Black Edition

Used to have a Condor Grey RS3 8P, and before that a further 47 assorted money pits

Woodstock25

Woodstock25

soon to be an ex RS3 Owner

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationHampshire

I've repainted mine with silver hammerite (at 7000 miles) and I'm now at 9000 with no signs of rust.  My wifes Q5 had similar problems, so I switched to a Ph neutral wheel cleaner and they haven't got any worse. I will only use ph neutral cleaner now.  The stuff that most 'hand car washes' uses is more akin to concreate cleaner - so be warned!

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage

As I am still considering show and shine concours my car this year (Audis in the Park , maybe GTi festival) I need to make my bells look better too... was thinking of using hammerite but not sure that will take the temperatures ? If I used POR15 would it need to be high temperature ?

POR15 is only available from a few places in the country , last year we(45bvtc and I) were going to do my S5 there was no silver available and they sent me Grey (similar to Nardo) so I ended up using silver Hammerite for colour and then applied clear POR15 and 1 year on they're still as good as when they were done I won't use anything else, will post some photos later .Frosts have it in stock at the moment

http://www.frost.co....aint-473ml.html

Edited by DAYTONA-500, 27 April 2015 - 02:55 PM.

Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Festering.

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationCemetery Lane.
Garage View Garage

Silver Smooth HammeriteIMG_0059_zpsrftuvdk5.jpg

Coated with Clear POR15IMG_0925_zpsf459f8f5.jpg

P1000269_zpswoixgsgm.jpg

Pat

Pat

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Brilliant info guys thank you.....GF is looking it up as I write this

Moschops

Moschops

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationPlanet Claire
I purchased mine from Amazon

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.