ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Hi All,

Just joined the forum as part of my "research" into my next car that, as usual, is accelerating as I get closer to a decision. 

First some background... I am a complete car nut and am currently driving my 47th car since my first in 1974. Owned all sorts of stuff and probably worthy of a separate topic if anyone is interested. save to say it includes 14 BMW's, 8 911's, a few Audis,  but only two Mercedes!

Anyway I currently commute a lot between the South Coast and West London which is great in the current car (see picture of it by the seaside) but my plans are to re-locate back to London for a few years and its not really a great car for the journeys I will do around West London, having found that when I was  there for a few months last winter. And my GF hates driving it as it can be alittle ... intimidating ?

So something smaller, a little more practical , 4/5 doors, 2 pedals, but still a drivers car. And preferably not something i have owned before. Fairly fixed budget and so the original list was quite short

1. Audi S4 Avant 

2. Golf R

3. "Old" Audi RS6 (although to be fair i had one way back when anyway) 

So off to Audi West London last Friday to lok at 1. But it was sold the day before and had left site to be prepared so could not even judge whether the red/black interior and white paintwork was to our taste. But while were there (and its quite a place ) my gf spotted another white car that she seemed to like straight away - an S3 Sportback Black edition with a black panoramic roof. And I had not even considered one... 

Test drive the following day and I have to say I was very impressed - quality interior , pretty nifty , steering not as bad as some reviewers had said (much research being done between Friday dinner time and Saturday morning !!) and comfortable in the back seats around the and over the speed humps of Hounslow !! The looks grew on me - its really a "min" A4 Avant ?? Discuss .... :-)

I was not sure about white again and although the GF liked the pan roof i was not so sure. And of course once the S3 was added to the list then the RS3 should be considered .. even if it was stretching the budget a bit. At the same time the A4 Avant was removed (GF thought nearly as big as the Mercedes we already have , and that of course took out the RS6. 

Test drive of the Golf R was yesterday and in summary its a great little drivers car but lacks the qaulity of the Audi, as well as been a little harsh. Not really for me ...

Test drive of an RS3 is Thursday and I have a feeling its going to be top of the list so I am guessing that it will come down to can I justify the extra expense ... 

Watch this space!

Attached File  IMG_0092.JPG   73.6K   9 downloads

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDi Black Edition

Used to have a Condor Grey RS3 8P, and before that a further 47 assorted money pits

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

Oh no is this who I think it could be ?????

Sorry Colin but we had someone on here a few weeks back with the same car as yours giving everyone a hard time and he has been on and off this forum with a few different names!

The Rs is a special car once you drive it you will be hooked ,,,, it is a great great car you will love it !

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Roy,

I have not been on this forum before and my username is one that I always try and use on forums - from PureGT , through PistonHeads, and way back to much missed BM3W! 

I will always try and be polite on any forum , even if I disagree with someones viewpoint, especially as a newbie!!

Colin

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Used to have a Condor Grey RS3 8P, and before that a further 47 assorted money pits

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Colin,

We could not ask for more,,,

Tomorrow evening you will be on here saying how good the RS is ,,, if your not I will be very surprised.

Let us know what you think

Enjoy

monte

monte

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWest Yorks

Hi Colin,

It appears that I have bought the S4 you went to look at!

It was brought up to Huddersfield last Thursday and I picked it up on Monday.

The red interior is not as red as it looked on the dealer pics and suits the car. I think so anyway.

Andy.

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Hi Colin,

It appears that I have bought the S4 you went to look at!

It was brought up to Huddersfield last Thursday and I picked it up on Monday.

The red interior is not as red as it looked on the dealer pics and suits the car. I think so anyway.

Andy.

Congrats Andy!! I think that your gain was in a way karma as it made me look at S3 / RS3!! 

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Colin,

We could not ask for more,,,

Tomorrow evening you will be on here saying how good the RS is ,,, if your not I will be very surprised.

Let us know what you think

Enjoy

I reckon that I will - shame that I have the start of a stinking head cold and face a 170 mile round trip to drive the car !! Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day...  :)

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Danny

Danny

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Welcome Colin,

I'm happy for you to test drive mine if you're anywhere near Chichester at any point. You're not far away from me.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Well Colin,,

How did it go ???

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Hey Roy , 

I was too sick to do the drive yesterday and a bit busy with work so its rearranged for Monday. In the meantime been contacted by West London Audi (who will be my local dealer next year) and they are in the process of buying one for stock so get to do another drive over the local speed bumps !! 

All my research so far has left me feeling its a matter of when I buy not if... And how long will it take to get one with buckets for my thrice repaired lower spine !!  :)

Thanks to everyone on here that has posted all sorts of stuff -  I really mean that a massive thanks  :up_it:

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts

Shame to hear that mate,

I had the buckets in the S3 and although they look the part and are ok on short runs they tend to get very tiresome on a long run and ended up with a flat arse. the standard seats are just fine.

its still worth a test drive mate to put your mind at ease....

Good luck

Viraje

Viraje

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Another thing to bear in mind is that, should you find a car with full electric standard seats, there is much more adjustment available - obviously front/back, and seat back angle. But you also have separate front height and rear height adjustment, and if it also has electric lumbar support, this can be adjusted in/out and up/down. All important stuff if your lower spine is held together with sellotape.

I've sat in them for over 4 hours of driving without being crippled. 

MacD

MacD

Site Owner

• Owner
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationDark side of the moon
Garage View Garage
Welcome and good luck in that search.

I'd have specced buckets if I'd had the chance and genuinely missed not having them.

I've driven for a few hours in the new motor with buckets and felt fine, but then it's got Drc so perhaps that takes the edge off any bum/back ache.

The official RS3 Owners Club forum - www.audirs3oc.com 

Styxz

Styxz

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Deano?
Panther black R8 V8 2014 🏎💨💨🚓🚓💨💨💨💨💨💨💨

mrAudi

mrAudi

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationSE England
Garage View Garage

Deano?

NO........

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

NO........

NO definitely not !! I came across a thread that he posted in when I was trawling through stuff on Friday. 

I really LIKE my C63 but its not a better or worse car than An RS3 - its just different. 

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

CarrG

CarrG

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Bucket seats go lower I found which helps if your 6ft+

Ibis RS3 - Buckets - Bose - Black Ed - Cruise - High Beam Ass - Privacy - Elec Mirrors - Heated Rear Seats - Light & Rain Pack

VW California GP 180 DSG - "Candy"!

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Well due to my stinking head cold missed my opportunity - car in Sussex sold yesterday!! 

At least I know now what colour I prefer ... Hopefully getting to drive one in London next week although not the best place for a test drive !!

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Jmcnamee98

Jmcnamee98

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
Be very careful having any dealings with West London Audi.

I bought my RS3 new from them they left off factory options car was months late they damaged the alloys, sills and stone chipped the car whilst in their care as well as returning it with missing wheel nut covers and nails it both rear tyres on one occasion.

Wimbledon Audi don't have any knowledge of the RS3. Finchley Road Audi don't know how to put an RS3 on a ramp without damaging it. You may gave to buy an RS3 from one of those dealers if your London based but the only place that will be allowed near my RS3 are Jack Barclay Audin

ColinC2

ColinC2

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationBournemouth

Today I finally got to test drive an RS3 in Poole.... Purely by chance I was checking the Audi Approved List yesterday having had no contact with two other dealers who were " definitely getting another RS3 6 weeks ago"

And I loved it! Its quick (very quick) , great ride , great steering feel, nice gearbox (in sport at least) , and a not too bad sound. Offered not very much on the C63 (to be expected) but at least I know what its going to cost to change.

My one reservation ? The seats. Without lumbar support I am not sure that my much ravaged spine will benefit from journeys over 5 minutes. So either I have to wait for a car with lumbar to come up or look at after market seats (heated) and storing the OEM ones. Anyway the Finance committee Chairwoman and I have to have a meeting....  :D

BMW M2 in Mineral Grey

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.