Photo

FL RS3 MRC stage 1

27 replies to this topic

mad chemist

mad chemist

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Just returned from MRC with stage 1 tune + stronnic map.

Car is simply ballistic now and very smooth power delivery. I'm really pleased with the delta of 85 ps and 170 NM on an otherwise stock car using Momentum 99 fuel.

Also,on the FL car, I have not noticed any soot on full throttle application, unlike my old MRC stage 1 TTRS

Here's the dyno:

rs3 jon mrc stage1.jpg

Caney

Caney

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire
Great results,intercooler,intake next and you'll be seeing close to 500ps👍

Edited by Caney, 13 November 2017 - 07:19 PM.

2018 NARDO RS3 SPORTBACK MRC STAGE 2 520PS/705NM0-60 3.19 SECS/0-100 7.06 SECS

mad chemist

mad chemist

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Great results,intercooler,intake next and you'll be seeing close to 500ps

Thanks Caney,

I'll have to start saving again :)

Mad.

Caney

Caney

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire

Thanks Caney,

I'll have to start saving again :)

Mad.

and then there's the downpipe and so on lol

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Incredible on just a map. Audi must be holding the standard car back do you think?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

Incredible on just a map. Audi must be holding the standard car back do you think?

TX.

Maybe laying in wait to see what Merc produce next year with the new A45 AMG............then a few software update/tweaks at the factory and hey presto the FL RS3 end's up outdragging the new Merc in all the magazine tests again. Sound familiar? A bit like how a stock engine rated at 367ps seems to be closer to 385/390ps on the 8V. :89:

Edited by Fivepotfan, 13 November 2017 - 09:38 PM.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I wonder how the Ali block copes with power hikes....

Especially as cylinder walls are plasma coated.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

Just don't F a piston as there be no reboring/over size piston for this one  :(

Dell.

Caney

Caney

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire

TX.

similar gains from oem on the 8v as well though so nothing new.My S5 went from 328ps to 440 with just a map!

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
You sure Caney as the 8Vs were already about 390 and only jumped 20bhp with a map afaik?

TX.

Nardo RS4

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

That is a very good question......Plasma coating has been around for a while and has been used to provide strength to lightweight components (such as alluminium blocks) in many motorsport applications and high end performance car engines. In theory it shouldn't be an issue, but in reality?? I guess we will find out soon.

Here's a bit of info on engine plasma coating for those who may be interested.

http://www.twi-globa...nder-bores-221/

Edited by Fivepotfan, 13 November 2017 - 10:55 PM.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

You sure Caney as the 8Vs were already about 390 and only jumped 20bhp with a map afaik?

TX.

The supercharged 3.0V6 in the S4 & S5 is a great example of how Audi have pulled the power on an engine to peg it back against the higher models. The factory software on the S4/S5 was designed to actually bleed off the boost from the supercharger above 5000rpm. A stock car would make a healthy 340/345 ps (versus quoted 333ps) but with a stage 1 map the tuner just simply added the boost back in which provided around 430/440ps and over 400lbs/ft with no other mods. Add a pulley upgrade to the supercharger (makes it spin faster) and 480/485 was achievable. Amazing car with a great engine - had mine for over two years but replaced it with my current 8V. 

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
Bit embarrassing for the RS5 owners I guess then as they were stuck with a n/a V8 in the power stakes!

TX.

Edit - out of interest do you know the difference between current S5 and RS5 engines?

Edited by terminator x, 13 November 2017 - 11:00 PM.

Nardo RS4

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

That is a very good question......Plasma coating has been around for a while and has been used to provide strength to lightweight components (such as alluminium blocks) in many motorsport applications and high end performance car engines. In theory it shouldn't be an issue, but in reality?? I guess we will find out soon.

Here's a bit of info on engine plasma coating for those who may be interested.

http://www.twi-globa...nder-bores-221/

Indeed Brian as are ZF automotive

https://www.plasmatr...automotive.html

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts

Just don't F a piston as there be no reboring/over size piston for this one  :(

Dell.

The thing is Dell, Audi wouldn't mess around re-boring and replacing pistons if an Vermicular Iron block went bye bye anyway.....

They'd just order in a new bottom end / complete new engine.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Bit embarrassing for the RS5 owners I guess then as they were stuck with a n/a V8 in the power stakes!

TX.

Edit - out of interest do you know the difference between current S5 and RS5 engines?

The glorious howling naturally aspirated V8 compensated RS4/RS5 owners for any shortcomings in the power stakes, the V8 only lacked torque (stock was around 317lbs/ft) but was still a quick car when using all the 8000+rpm.

Latest RS5 is a V6 with twin turbo's versus a single turbo in the S5. Power output's are not hiked by much over previous models but the torque increase and lighter weight is where Audi have improved performance. I don't know if the new V6 is the same in both cars though (I would imagine it is though).

Will be interesting to see what extra ooomph the tuners can tease out of the new V6 turbo engines - maybe it will be payback time! :D 

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

The thing is Dell, Audi wouldn't mess around re-boring and replacing pistons if an Vermicular Iron block went bye bye anyway.....

They'd just order in a new bottom end / complete new engine.

Point taken Sean 👍

Dell.

Edited by RS3Dell, 14 November 2017 - 04:08 PM.

Caney

Caney

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWarwickshire

The supercharged 3.0V6 in the S4 & S5 is a great example of how Audi have pulled the power on an engine to peg it back against the higher models. The factory software on the S4/S5 was designed to actually bleed off the boost from the supercharger above 5000rpm. A stock car would make a healthy 340/345 ps (versus quoted 333ps) but with a stage 1 map the tuner just simply added the boost back in which provided around 430/440ps and over 400lbs/ft with no other mods. Add a pulley upgrade to the supercharger (makes it spin faster) and 480/485 was achievable. Amazing car with a great engine - had mine for over two years but replaced it with my current 8V. 

couldn't of said it better!

MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

I know it's an aluminium block now, but what else has been updated/upgraded on the FL engine that they can push hybrid turbo numbers on a map? I know MRC might be either 'optomistic' with their dyno, or just pushing for peak numbers rather than flat torque etc etc, but 476 on a map seems like they've got more to play with now.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

I know it's an aluminium block now, but what else has been updated/upgraded on the FL engine that they can push hybrid turbo numbers on a map? I know MRC might be either 'optomistic' with their dyno, or just pushing for peak numbers rather than flat torque etc etc, but 476 on a map seems like they've got more to play with now.

We were wondering the same earlier today.

T-800 has started a new thread ('Facelift engine changes' in General Chat section) which hopefully will begin to tease out all the updates that Audi have made to the 5 cylinder motor.

The new Borg Warner turbo is upgraded over the previous model, intake plumbing is different, the IC is supposed to have improved flow (but externally looks the same as the old one), and an extra row of injectors have been added (but not sure if this is just to do with emissions or helps with power too) - Lots of new things to learn about!

Edited by Fivepotfan, 15 November 2017 - 11:28 PM.

Reply to this topic

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.