APR stage 1 RS3 saloon does qtr in 10.5 secs @ 127.5 mph

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

mad chemist

mad chemist

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Just bought a sportback RS3 FL and getting MRC tune in 2 weeks but APR are already doing the business with the new engine:

https://www.instagra.../p/BawbU5nAW72/

Enjoy!

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
Oooo... canโ€™t wait to get mine now

terminator x

terminator x

Grandmaster Flash

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • LocationIn a barge near Roy's old barge
Imho Audi are holding it back so it doesn't step on the toes of RS5. Goes well with a tune ;)

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Nardo RS4

viperau

viperau

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
That will be race gas and probably weight reduction too. Bit sneaky calling it a stage 1 tune imo.

Still fast though!

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationSouth of somewhere

Thats a mighty impressive time (maybe too impressive for full weight car with road tyres and pump fuel? :89: )....whats the claimed power output for the APR tune...anyone know?

I know that MRC have been getting some good results with the first cars they have mapped (494ps & 696nm so far) with just a custom tune and no other hardware. However, they have experienced issues with heat management (thermal runaway) when pushing over 500ps and have said that the intercooler would need to be uprated. The OEM downpipe is also a bit of a restriction too.

Edited by Fivepotfan, 28 October 2017 - 08:09 PM.

now driving a 'Daytona Lite' FL car.

mad chemist

mad chemist

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thats a mighty impressive time (maybe too impressive for full weight car with road tyres and pump fuel? :89: )....whats the claimed power output for the APR tune...anyone know?

I know that MRC have been getting some good results with the first cars they have mapped (494ps & 696nm so far) with just a custom tune and no other hardware. However, they have experienced issues with heat management (thermal runaway) when pushing over 500ps and have said that the intercooler would need to be uprated. The OEM downpipe is also a bit of a restriction too.

I thought thermal runaway really only effected diesel engines. Are you sure MRC have seen this with the new engine - I'd be very surprised if they have.

Mad.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

I thought thermal runaway really only effected diesel engines. Are you sure MRC have seen this with the new engine - I'd be very surprised if they have.

Mad.

Why not if the APR figures figures are to be believed as there not the only good RS tuners on the planet ?

Dell.

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

That time was achieved with ethanol, stripped out interior and R888 road legal grippy tyres. 

It's bloody quick for sure.

Shaunee

Shaunee

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Mad.

It's no great surprise..... have you seen the stock interwarmer!? lol

Still..... 500bhp (there or thereabouts) is still impressive.  Not sure I'd want to repeatedly pound it at that power level with that stock intercooler on though.  It must hammer the ignition timing with the charge temp increases.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

The FL intercooler is a bigger/better version than the ones on the pre facelift models. However, Doug at MRC was saying that charge temps sky rocket when pushing above the 500ps mark so an uprated version will defo be necessary for those looking to go above the magic 500 and not damage the engine.

Can't help thinking that Audi have held power capability in reserve for the FL engine...........maybe playing the waiting game to see what the Merc engineeers come up with for the new A45 AMG due out next year and then just 'adjust' the software a little at the factory and hey presto 420ps straight off the bat........ a bit like the quoted 367ps being actually closer to 385/390ps on the pre FL cars.

Kenny

Kenny

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

The FL intercooler is a bigger/better version than the ones on the pre facelift models. However, Doug at MRC was saying that charge temps sky rocket when pushing above the 500ps mark so an uprated version will defo be necessary for those looking to go above the magic 500 and not damage the engine.

Can't help thinking that Audi have held power capability in reserve for the FL engine...........maybe playing the waiting game to see what the Merc engineeers come up with for the new A45 AMG due out next year and then just 'adjust' the software a little at the factory and hey presto 420ps straight off the bat........ a bit like the quoted 367ps being actually closer to 385/390ps on the pre FL cars.

Wrong. The intercooler on the PFL/FL are the same with the part number 8V0 145 803 A. 

No wonder the temps sky rocket on the FL when itยดs pushing 500hp on stage 1.

Attached Files

2018 RS3 SB. Mythos black. 

Pre: 2013 Audi RS3. Misano red/Alu.

@steelcraftnbeauty on instagram. RS3 pics and custom steel projects.

Fivepotfan

Fivepotfan

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Wrong. The intercooler on the PFL/FL are the same with the part number 8V0 145 803 A. 

No wonder the temps sky rocket on the FL when itยดs pushing 500hp on stage 1.

Don't take any notice with Audi part numbers, we have seen same issues with brakes discs and spark plugs this year but parts were defo different. ;) 

I have some detailed info somewhere (will try to dig it out and post) which lists all the new parts for the new alloy engine compared to the old iron block version. I remember something about new core design for the intercooler to flow significantly more air etc.

Here's a link that mentions intercooler change and other parts too.

https://www.motormag...s3-sedan-review

T-800

T-800

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,962 posts
I agree and having looked at Etka this morning there are differences on the exploded drawings for the intercoolers be it only small ones.

But the same applies to the front brake discs where Etka still lists them as a wave design on the FL when they are not anymore.

mad chemist

mad chemist

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

APR stage 1 RS3 testing at Road Atlanta: https://www.youtube....1&v=Z-l2i_k-_gI

Danw

Danw

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
Great video mate, the guy certainly knows how to drive made it look effortless, the pfl3 really is a well rounded machine I wonder what the fl3 can do ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

mad chemist

mad chemist

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Great video mate, the guy certainly knows how to drive made it look effortless, the pfl3 really is a well rounded machine I wonder what the fl3 can do

I get my MRC stage 1 Saturday week - I'll report back once it's done!

Mad.

Ed_rx7

Ed_rx7

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

nice.... not worried about warranty then?

mad chemist

mad chemist

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

nice.... not worried about warranty then?

Of course, but I never beat on the engine when cold, always have a cool down perioid after a spirited drive and average mpg is simlar/better than stock indicating that I'm probably not going to do too much to the engine over stock. I think there are many more owners thrashing their stock motors more than mine. Still, you got to pay to play and you take your changes - sorry for all the Clichรฉs.

RS777

RS777

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Hi Mad

How did you find your remap?

mad chemist

mad chemist

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi Mad

How did you find your remap?

Hi Stu,

Car is running perfect. Massive mid-range TQ transitioning to epic top-end power. Car does feel a little more laggy down low but that is just because there is now so much more of everything once on full boost!

I'd highly reccommend MRC if you want to go down the same route I did.

Mad.

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
ยฉ 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.