• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
So it's something I've been thinking over for a while and again when I was just out washing the car!
Options are;
1. Keep as it is
2. Keep the frame silver and paint honeycomb section black
3. Go all black (then possibly change wing mirrors to black)

What should I do?

Here's a freshly washed pic of the car.
Note I have black roof rails and black rear diffuser I.e. No silver anywhere else
b3a3649e57285a760a7014bcfa85316c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
I think it looks good as it is and personally wouldn't change it.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent
My opinion of course but..
I always think different colour wing mirrors than alu seems to make the car not look like an RS.

Graham painted his old grille and once stone chips attacked it then it doesn’t look that good. He’s since replaced it with an oem black grille because of it.

Xenonz do some aftermarket grilles (one of which I have on, alu surround with black honeycomb). Ideally I would have liked an original but money talks when it comes to these grilles.

Daytona alu work really well. Sometimes as owners we get bored of the way things look but forget what made us choose the combination in the first place - great choice.

This is the grille look I went for so it would match the blade, except doesn’t stand out as much on a white car ...
4cdb257cf99278b275ad316446489bc7.jpg

Edited by JayRS3, 15 October 2017 - 01:36 PM.

David8

David8

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationBournemouth
My Matt you could go all black ! Black grille and black Audi rings ? Just an idea !

I have the xenons Ali and black grille which is what I wanted after seeing a 8v in Daytona with the same combination,

Here’s mine ! Just to give you a idea of the Ali and black look

Edited by David8, 01 November 2017 - 08:52 PM.

David8

David8

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationBournemouth
40c7aa37852bd50fdbe21021c587ecbd.jpg

Body colour slightly different as I think this was wrapped but grille looks good all black

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

I always think different colour wing mirrors than alu seems to make the car not look like an RS.

Graham painted his old grille and once stone chips attacked it then it doesn’t look that good. He’s since replaced it with an oem black grille because of it.

Xenonz do some aftermarket grilles (one of which I have on, alu surround with black honeycomb). Ideally I would have liked an original but money talks when it comes to these grilles.

Daytona alu work really well. Sometimes as owners we get bored of the way things look but forget what made us choose the combination in the first place - great choice.

This is the grille look I went for so it would match the blade, except doesn’t stand out as much on a white car ...

Thanks Jay! I do agree and it's part of the reason I thought about it for ages and haven't done anything.
I've seen that car before on social media and it does look the part..
Didn't really think about the issue of paint chips, suppose it won't be as robust as a factory unit. What's the quality of the Xenonz grill like?

One thought I had was to go for the alu with black honeycomb you mention and then get the outer lower grill surrounds done alu along with just the lower centre bar
Do you Know if the bumper strips down easily and if most body shops able to paint matt alu finish?

Edited by Mattjj82, 15 October 2017 - 02:31 PM.

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

My Matt you could go all black ! Black grille and black Audi rings ? Just an idea !

I have the xenons Ali and black grille which is what I wanted after seeing a 8v in Daytona with the same combination,

Here’s mine ! Just to give you a idea of the Ali and black look

18170b9f63b76ed1cc875a92d6e684f2.jpg

Yours looks really good David, I am a fan of the black centre with alu surround.
I usually love the black optics but I'm not sure on Daytona whether it might make it look a little drab if you know what I mean as you don't really get the contrast?

Edited by Mattjj82, 15 October 2017 - 02:31 PM.

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

What's the quality of the Xenonz grill like?

Do you Know if the bumper strips down easily and if most body shops able to paint matt alu finish?

No issues at all on the quality, I’ve used them before on my S3 and ticks all the boxes but I understand why some rather go oem.

The bumper is pretty easy to get off just fiddly. Why don’t you wrap it? In case you change your mind in the future? Also you’ll be able to pick the colour you want instead of hoping for the colour to match in paint at which point you’ve already committed.

David has had a few bits wrapped in alu so he can point you in the right direction for that.

Edited by JayRS3, 15 October 2017 - 02:36 PM.

David8

David8

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationBournemouth
Yeah I think it needs the Ali surround Matt, mine is the xenonz and it’s perfectly good enough looks good and fits well you can swap your original RS3 badge and that fits on the xenonz grille so you can’t tel the difference unless you stand there and look really closely at the honeycomb between the Audi rings that is the only difference, as far as the other Matt Aluminium parts I had mine vinyl wrapped and I didn’t have to remove any parts at all

David8

David8

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationBournemouth
20e02118bf7f4bfc33017391bf9e0afd.jpg46b14382eea9909154f0f8cc0b883d01.jpg7d3478d0c4254b7a77347535ec750404.jpg

This is my car which was wrapped over a year ago and still looks as good as new
You can get the matte Ali wrap to match the car I had all mine wrapped including door handles and rear spoiler for around £350 I think !

Mattjj82

Mattjj82

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Thanks David.. looks like I'll be ordering a grill in the near future and will have to find a decent wrapping company somewhere in the south west as I live in Cornwall and aren't exactly blessed with many options

Edited by Mattjj82, 15 October 2017 - 02:55 PM.

David8

David8

Valued Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationBournemouth
Ok you best batten down the hatches Matt looking at this storm that’s coming in !! I’m in Bournemouth and I went to a guy called dan at premier vehicle wrapping in hamble le rice, Southampton. I know it’s a bit far out for you but you could contact him and see if he can recommend anyone nearer to you that’s in the trade he was recommended through Poole Audi and couldn’t recommend him more, he’s on the web check it out

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

All black looks the best  :)

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationToo close to Roy.

All black looks the best  :)

I'm with you Roy Gray with the Optic Black trim looks ace & with the Black roof bars what a bonus   :D

Dell.

Roy

Roy

Resident Nardo Hater

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,507 posts
  • LocationYellow is the new Black

GREY !

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

GREY !

Sorry Roy did i mention the G word ? how insenitive of me  :P

Btw i've got an all Black RS !  :D

Dell.

RS3Dell

RS3Dell

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
Here's one approved by Roy 😊

Attached File  36427564984_cfe33816ef_o.jpg   44.08K   12 downloads

Hall1979

Hall1979

• Valued Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Hi Jay,

Sorry quick question what are the alloys u have on that picture please pal. As they seem pretty nice.

Cheers,

Ryan

JayRS3

JayRS3

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationKent

Hi Jay,

Sorry quick question what are the alloys u have on that picture please pal. As they seem pretty nice.

Cheers,

Ryan

Not my car mate, I’m sure it’s someone’s on here so hopefully they’ll be able to assist you.

mrAudi

mrAudi

Elite Club Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • LocationSE England
Garage View Garage
Now.......who had that stunning looking white with red bits.........oh yeah it was me
6238bd3d2edba24cc9cb783c836d2fb8.jpg

Audi RS3OC Forum is Powered by APR Motorsports UK
© 2013-2014 Audi RS3 Owners Club | All rights reserved | This club and forum is not officially associated with AUDI AG.